Night shift crew.

Options

Replies

• HedgeHaug
    HedgeHaug Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Did I mention that I'm a cardiac rehab nurse...LOL! Talk about being tugged by guilt! Statins....thumbs down! @Karlottap , AGREED! I have to teach the folks that have had stents and CABG's, etc. about diet, medication compliance, yadda yadda yadda....AAAaaarrrrgggg (that's my pirate sound)!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, yah... 'teach' lol, when they nod at you with glazed eyes and then go back to their old way of eating because "it's just so darn tasty." And old habits die hard, hahahah. Yes, a play on words.
  • catherineh1027
    catherineh1027 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @SoosannahK - that is great to hear from another person who is post chole. I feel like my brain is being rewired and inputting a whole source of new information that goes against what I've been taught. I'm going to keep trucking forward with this because I feel great. I've already lost five pounds since starting, although I know that will slow down over the next coming weeks. I feel less bloated and my energy is better, even with working night shift the last two nights. I've bought some recipe books and a spiral slicer, and I'm reading several different recipe blogs, as well. I'm really excited about this change and I'm looking forward to all of the new recipes and progress I'll be making. :smile: You all are awsome, btw! I love the group support!
  • HedgeHaug
    Options
    @canadjineh LOL...glazed eyes indeed! That's not boredom, that's doughnut icing off of a crispy cream!!! I better shut my pie hole now...
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @SoosannahK - that is great to hear from another person who is post chole. I feel like my brain is being rewired and inputting a whole source of new information that goes against what I've been taught. I'm going to keep trucking forward with this because I feel great. I've already lost five pounds since starting, although I know that will slow down over the next coming weeks. I feel less bloated and my energy is better, even with working night shift the last two nights. I've bought some recipe books and a spiral slicer, and I'm reading several different recipe blogs, as well. I'm really excited about this change and I'm looking forward to all of the new recipes and progress I'll be making. :smile: You all are awsome, btw! I love the group support!

Yay on -5lbs! The only time that I have found I have any digestive issues is when I have eaten too many leafy greens, whether it be it be collards, lettuce or cabbage. The fat never seems to bother me, so I say keep on keeping on. The one thing I absolutely love about this WOE is no bloat. After I quit smoking, I really noticed my sensitivity to carbs. If I ate something really carby, I looked like I was 9 mths along and ready to deliver. I remember the first time I ate pizza after I quit smoking, two pieces and I swelled up horribly. I was panicking because my belly was sticking out so far. Needless to say I was terrified to eat pizza after that. Shortly after that I rediscovered Atkins, but decided I didn't like to be told I needed XX amount of carbs from veggies but I stuck with it. I fell off the wagon after a back injury and the ensuing depression that followed from being out of work for 2 months and not knowing if I would be able to return to work. Took me a year to get back on a LCHF path. After gaining back over 10lbs I decided enough was enough. I like LCHF because of the foods I get to eat. What I can't eat doesn't bother me so much as I never crave bread or pasta. Cupcakes, well that's a different story. But out of sight out of mind. I did find that my local grocer's bakery carries sugar free cupcakes that have 5 NC, so if I am about to go over the edge, I will definitely consider those. I only have problems around TOM, darn hormones.

I was 6 weeks in when I found this group and I honestly think it was this group that kept me from straying too far off the path during the holidays. I managed to get through without any weight gain and quickly went back into ketosis after the Brownie and Fudge Fiasco.

Glad you are doing well and there are tons of quick, easy and quite yummy recipes out there. I can have 3 meals prepared in under an hour. I like to bulk cook for the next few days so I know we are prepared. I also had an ingenious idea today. I normally divide out portions in separate disposable/reusable (glad brand) containers, but I have run out of room in fridge thanks to all the bacon, eggs and cheese and my huge Zerowater filter. So I just weigh the whole lot of it and then write on the lid in dry erase maker, how many servings and how much each serving weighs, so can dish it out when needed. Why did I not think of this sooner???
  • SoosannahK
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @SoosannahK - I have to be gluten free so I don't even go over to the 'other side' of the 7-11 - just stick with the cold case and since sandwiches and wraps and cracker combos are automatically out for me it does make it easier. Tim Horton's has a really good Caesar Salad with lots of bacon and Renee's (amazing!) Caesar Dressing. Again ask them not to put the croutons in before you get your salad, then no temptations.
    We get free hot drinks in uniform too at McDonalds, Timmies, and 7-11. My downfall at 7-11 is a half Pumpkin Spice Latte with 1/2 dark roast coffee. I usually drink my coffee black, so.... NOT a good thing, lol.

Unfortunately the lovely sea salt caramels are directly across the aisle from the cold case and of course on the side of the cold case where the prosciutto mozzarella is at. I have just quit going in the there. I keep a coffee pot in my room so I'll make my own coffee. I drink mine black too, and if I do flavor it at home, I use heavy cream, stevia and caramel extract. Yummy latte flavor. Those have become my treat here lately, but I think today most of my calorie intake was from flavored up coffee. I haven't really wanted any solid food today. It's nearing TOM so I am craving a bit and trying to appease the hormone demon with some coffees before I lose my mind. If I could get those cravings under control I'd be home free. But as I said earlier, stupid hormones!!

We don't have a Tim Hortons around here. And I normally don't eat out because I hate spending money on mediocre food. Fast food doesn't taste right to me anymore. We have a mom and pop place that makes incredible breakfast food so we do go there every once in awhile at work. I have to avoid any place that has pumpkin spice anything or peppermint mocha anything. Who invented this stuff? They need to be whipped. Thankfully I have figured out how to make my own peppermint mochas the low carb way ;)
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @SoosannahK FYI Torani does have sugar free pumpkin pie syrup o:)
  • SoosannahK
    Options
    reblazed wrote: »

Haha, I probably didn't need to know this. I will never eat again, just sit around and drink flavored coffee all the time. But of course I am going to keep my eye out for it. Thanks :)
  • catherineh1027
    Options
    SoosannahK wrote: »

Haha, I probably didn't need to know this. I will never eat again, just sit around and drink flavored coffee all the time. But of course I am going to keep my eye out for it. Thanks :)

Oh, man, I may have to start doing this, lol
  • SoosannahK
    Options

That's it. I'm going on the flavored up coffee diet. Who needs food?
  • catherineh1027
    Options
    Lol!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Be careful about the sugar free Torani's - there are 12g of sugar alcohols in them - some people have 'ahem' digestive issues with sugar alcohols. Also Caramel sugar free has 1 carb per serving...just FYI.
  • SoosannahK
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Be careful about the sugar free Torani's - there are 12g of sugar alcohols in them - some people have 'ahem' digestive issues with sugar alcohols. Also Caramel sugar free has 1 carb per serving...just FYI.

Well darn that throws those out the window for me unless it is erythritol. All the others put me in bathroom and make me feel like my guts are being ripped out. Guess I will stick to eating meat :D
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The alcohols in splenda/sucralose create a chronic state of inflammation (leading to weight gain!) for me! I'm a rare snowflake, but can't be alone in this reaction! I always caution others who use the sugar free coffee syrups, if you see unexplained weight gain, eliminate it to see if that could be the cause!

I've learned to drink my coffee with heavy whipping cream only.
  • catherineh1027
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    The alcohols in splenda/sucralose create a chronic state of inflammation (leading to weight gain!) for me! I'm a rare snowflake, but can't be alone in this reaction! I always caution others who use the sugar free coffee syrups, if you see unexplained weight gain, eliminate it to see if that could be the cause!

I may go to that with my coffee. Mmm, creamy deliciousness!
  • SoosannahK
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »

I may go to that with my coffee. Mmm, creamy deliciousness!

If mine is creamed for some reason I have to have it sweet too. I can't do just creamed coffee. And if it is sweet it has to be creamed. I can drink it black all day long and that is how I usually have it. I have been using stevia drops and extract flavors, my fav being caramel right now. Guess I could put some pink Himalayan in there and call it salted!

I have been trying to avoid the sucralose sweeteners and I think that is mainly from reading your post @Karlottap lol. It has helped me cut my sodas out almost completely. I haven't had soda since I tried the Zevia ones last week I think it was and really can't find a flavor of those that I love, so why pay exorbitant amounts of $$$ for something I only tolerated. My husband loved them though and rejoiced in getting 2 whole 6 packs for himself. I do have one glass of stevia sweetened tea at home and that seems to do the trick on having something flavored. At work nothing but water and black coffee. I notice I also have less gas (both ends :# )since getting rid of the sodas. Bye bye carbonation. I think I will save soda for special occasions such as dining out or such (even though I usually order unsweetened tea and have my stevia stashed in my purse).

• KarlaYP
    Options
    I didn't know that there was such a thing as caramel extract! I've used stevia, but don't care for the taste, maybe the extract would make the difference! Sometimes I do want something different. I gave up sodas about twenty years ago, and am glad I did! I've always strived for better health! Even when I ate the "healthy", and "good for you" breakfast cereals I thought I was being good! Man, how misguided I was! Lol!
  • HedgeHaug
    Options
    @Karlottap and @SoosannahK that caramel extract sounds so good! I need to rummage through my icebox shelves and see if that one came with the ton of other extracts. @Karlottap Splenda is the worst! I can barely get out of bed when I use that stuff! And I get belly fat and weight gain from it! It's evil! Worse than sugar for me.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you @sappho123! I knew I couldn't be the only person who gained weight from splenda!! Sorry for your experience! It's in everything now too!