Replies

• WaterWoman1
    WaterWoman1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Day 1, here I come!
  • Michael27587
    Michael27587 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I was running pretty regular until about 4 months ago when my honey do list at home became quite large due to prepping our home to sell. It is on the market now but it has taken a while for me to get excited about starting again. Well, I am getting back and am on W2D1.

Anyone else currently starting again?

Mike
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I think there are a few people. welcome. enjoy. honey do after run.
  • HarleighzMom
    HarleighzMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I lost over 20 pounds with C25k a couple years ago. I got hurt and didn't finish the program. I sunk into a hole of self pity and then I woke up a couple mornings ago in a state of determination to stop feeling this way. I am going to start day 1 today - excited to be back and looking forward to losing the excess pounds again!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I lost over 20 pounds with C25k a couple years ago. I got hurt and didn't finish the program. I sunk into a hole of self pity and then I woke up a couple mornings ago in a state of determination to stop feeling this way. I am going to start day 1 today - excited to be back and looking forward to losing the excess pounds again!

yay!
  • Marikanna
    Marikanna Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi! New here. Starting today.

I am 53 years old. I've not been running for 3 years. I first started running 5 years ago. I ran 5ks and some 10ks for a few years. I was definitely a plodder but so proud of myself. I want to get that back. After some injuries and a 50 pound weight gain I an ready to try again. I am doing bodyweight exercises 3 days per week and will alternate with c25k on the opposite days. Feel free to add me.
    Here I gooooooooooo........
  • pdbuth
    pdbuth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am starting the C25k tomorrow. Today is a swimming day. I will be alternating running and swimming/treading water at the pool. I will mostly be on the treadmill for my running workouts as I live in Minnesota and winter seems to have finally found us this year. I recently had weight loss surgery and have just been cleared to exercise so I am excited about the opportunities ahead of me.

Onward and upward!
    pam
  • mbaker566
    Options
    welcome :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out! I've run three 5Ks, but never had a very impressive time. I've gained a considerable amount of weight since my last one as well, which makes training even harder. I did some of those online C25K training programs before, now I'm doing my own thing. I started out with just a 3.0 speed on the treadmill for 10 minutes, but plan on adding five minutes each week as well as varying the incline/speed until my endurance and speed improve. I always get shin splint pain if I push too fast.

Shannon
  • Zari_Safari
    Zari_Safari Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K for the third time today. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be considering that I've gained about 15 pounds since I stopped running (yikes). Glad to have found this group! I need all of the encouragement I can get!
  • gfit123
    gfit123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started today. I modified day 1 because I want to do 30min each workout to supplement my circuit training on other days. I repeated the 5w/2r/5w twice then finished off walking and it felt pretty good!!! I'm in better shape than I thought. :p That said, I may be only able to run 2x a week for the total 10 weeks. I did the Couch to 5k for the first time in 1998 and became a regular runner after that, completing a 1/2 marathon at the height of my fit heydays. ;) Nowadays, I don't think I have the time to train for something that long, but I've set my sights on a 5k road race on April 10, 2016. :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Just started myself. Completed W1D1 yesterday morning. Haven't signed up for a race yet (there's one in May that I know of, may try to find one in April if I can). I had started running a bit maybe 5-6 years ago, did a 5K Turkey Trot one year, then hurt my back and stopped everything (except eating and drinking!). Now I've lost the excess baggage and trying to get fit again. Hoping the C25K will be fun and get me back in shape, too!

W1D2 on deck...!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    good to see some new blood :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I started a few days into the New Year (big surprise, right?) but was derailed with an out of control ear infection and a bad reaction to the medication I was on. I'm just feeling better this week, but I'm having a hard time getting myself down on that treadmill. Any suggestions on how to get myself back in the game?
  • mbaker566
    Options
    glad you are feeling better .

schedule it like an appointment.
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I've just started C25k and have only done 2 days of week 1 so far, and oh my goodness, I can't imagine how I will ever be able to run more than a minute at a time! Does it really get easier? I am overweight, so I'm hoping it will get easier as I slim down, but at the moment after a few bouts of 60 secs of running I feel like I just can't go on :(

I'd love to hear from people who also struggled at the beginning. I have never ran for fitness before, I have only done some cardio workouts in previous months, so I am a complete running newbie.

Any stories or advice would be much appreciated, thanks :)

• Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Just started myself. Completed W1D1 yesterday morning. Haven't signed up for a race yet (there's one in May that I know of, may try to find one in April if I can). I had started running a bit maybe 5-6 years ago, did a 5K Turkey Trot one year, then hurt my back and stopped everything (except eating and drinking!). Now I've lost the excess baggage and trying to get fit again. Hoping the C25K will be fun and get me back in shape, too!

W1D2 on deck...!

Turkey Trot!?!? You must be pretty close to me. I didn't realize they did a 5K. I'll have to check into that one. I did my first 5K at Crawdad Days last year.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I've just started C25k and have only done 2 days of week 1 so far, and oh my goodness, I can't imagine how I will ever be able to run more than a minute at a time! Does it really get easier? I am overweight, so I'm hoping it will get easier as I slim down, but at the moment after a few bouts of 60 secs of running I feel like I just can't go on :(

I'd love to hear from people who also struggled at the beginning. I have never ran for fitness before, I have only done some cardio workouts in previous months, so I am a complete running newbie.

Any stories or advice would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Oh my gosh, I had the HARDEST time making it through those minute intervals! The first time I tried it, the first 2 weren't THAT bad, but after the 3rd one, I was thinking, "why did I EVER think I could do this!?!?"
    After I didn't die, and a rest day, and then a "brisk walking" day, I had another running day. It's rough every time, but when you push yourself through, you manage making it, and it gives you that confidence boost you need. I was quite a bit overweight when I started, and I ended up losing 2.5-3 lbs every week I kept up with at least trying.
    If you can find a running partner, it makes it easier, too. I had my 16 year old go with me a few times, and he was amazing! He was encouraging, supportive, and pushy. Lol. You need someone a little pushy!
    I got off the bandwagon for a while, starting a new job, and ended up gaining 20 of the 40 lbs I had originally lost back. I am not back to working out again, and I'm going to start it again as soon as it's a little warmer out. This time, I'm going to use the Zombies, Run! app, and do it with my 10 year old, and then both of us are going to do a 5K together at the end of May.
    It IS hard, but you can do it. Just keep plugging along. If it's important to you, you can do it. It really IS just a state of mind.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.
    I'm staring again tonight. I first starter the C25K last summer and got up to the end of week 4, but then we moved and my Mum became very poorly and everything just went out of the window.
    When everything calmed down and I was ready to start back up again it was winter, and dark every morning/evening and my partner wasn't very happy at all about me going out in the dark on my own as we live in quite a rural area, so i've been trying to go out at weekends when it's light, but it just isn't enough to progress very far....so I did a bit of online research and have found a local running group who are starting a 10 week 'Zero - 5k' running programme from tonight! My partner is much happier about me going out with a group, and I think it will be fun to be able to run with others who are in the same boat, i'm a bit nervous, but actually quite looking forward to it.

@amber_beaney - I struggled immensely when I first started the C25K, I actually thought I was going to pass out the first time I did it, but I stuck with it, took the advice given on these forums, slowed my pace right down, and over the following weeks I did quite well. Just keep it slow, as everyone kept telling me, if you can't hold a conversation while you're 'running' then you're going to fast. And even if you think you can walk faster, it doesn't matter, just keep at it and you WILL slowly begin to find it easier.
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help, I feel alot better knowing that others have struggled to begin with too. I did week 2 day 1 today and I managed to do the running intervals ok, it felt difficult, like I couldn't breathe in deep enough, but I managed it and I hope it might feel a little easier on day 2. I'm hoping my lung capacity will increase gradually in time. I'm trying not to think about future weeks - they scare me! Haha.