For those on the higher end of low carb - question

Options

Replies

• SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay under the 100, with an end goal of <50. I eat whatever fits my hunger, trying to stay in range.

Instead of pasta for my Bolognese / Lasagna I have been either spiralling or thinly slicing Courgette to act as the "pasta" - hubby didn't notice until he had eaten it twice!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    For those of you that eat more carbs are you in maintenance or trying to loose? I'm trying to find a game plan for my maintenance life after keto for the last 4 months.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I was trying maintenance and upping carbs over the holidays, that was a disaster. I'm now back trying to lose but I don't have a lot left to lose so I'm not really worried about it. Mostly I want to not feel like crap so I have to be around 100 or else I'll go nuts on carbs.
  • gettinfabnfit
    gettinfabnfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing this but on a much lower scale, maybe 60 carb range. The thing is I used to do induction with ease and I just can't handle it the way I used to
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Looked back over my carb stats and have been averaging under 100, but I'm maintaining and possibly goofing off more than I should. I can do without the crummy white bread, rice, potatoes, pasta...but not without slow cooking oatmeal, beans, ezekial bread and wasa crisps! I'm going to see how I do within a range of 75-90. Ready for more loss.
  • gettinfabnfit
    gettinfabnfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Question for those who are doing a higher level of carbs, what is a good calorie target for someone that burns about 400 a day average in cardio
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the low end of moderate carb but when I'm at the high end of low carb I can have one portion of rice, potato, pasta, bread without suffering any cravings. Jelly beans, gumdrops and similar candies - I eat one portion then I wind up finishing the bag before the end of the day...which is how I regain weight I've lost. The longest I ever gave up those candies was two years - was easier for me to permanently quit smoking.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    MilllieMoo wrote: »
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    I'm in about 50g any less and I end up with crippling 24x7 leg cramps that despite trying everything I was told worked.

(I suppose you already tried magnesium?)

Magnesium, orally, gel, spray, foot baths, b12, b3, vitamin d, more pink salt, more water,less water, tonic water (quinine).....you name it i tried it....increased carbs GONE...decrease back down pacing the floor at 2am and even as drastic as husband has to force my foot up as it will not move at all and I'm crying with pain.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @pootle1972, have you tried 5000mg of sodium a day with Magnesium and potassium supplements, at the same time, in attempt to rid yourself of the leg cramps? I have learned that if I don't maintain all three, every day, I will cramp up something terrible! Good luck![/quote]

Not tried potassium as I read counter indications of taking it.

• lissdawn
    lissdawn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 50-150ish carbs a day....Majority of my diet is veg, protein, fat, 2-3 fruit a day. 2-3x a week I'll have some form of 'other' carb but keep it as clean as possible--and ONLY a few a week. One (normal) serving size. Whole grain brown rice, quinoa pasta, low carb naan or pita/wrap etc. It works for me. Will probably have to adjust my carbs (even "natural" ones) as I get closer to my goal weight but for now I have a lot to lose and it's working for my body and keeping me feeling energized, healthy and satisfied.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is around 100 net for me, losing the 5 lbs up I go down to between 35-60. Never pasta as I am gluten free by necessity but I do like brown rice and quinoa and fruit and yogourt. Once in a while I get a bit of a craving for GF toast - dry, so I have a piece, but usually it's not worth it to me.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    MilllieMoo wrote: »
    I'm in about 50g any less and I end up with crippling 24x7 leg cramps that despite trying everything I was told worked.

(I suppose you already tried magnesium?)

Magnesium, orally, gel, spray, foot baths, b12, b3, vitamin d, more pink salt, more water,less water, tonic water (quinine).....you name it i tried it....increased carbs GONE...decrease back down pacing the floor at 2am and even as drastic as husband has to force my foot up as it will not move at all and I'm crying with pain.

Youch!! Manesium oxide is not as effective as 400mg magnesium citrate. I agree with other posters regarding potassium and sodium and drinking enough fluid.
    Low blood pressure and electrolyte imbalance were combined to make my feet look like mutant scrunched up things or twang my calves. Took quite a few tweaks with the electrolytes but it has now not occurred in months, even on 25g carb, 25g fibre, so worth playing with for health reasons, irrespective of diet. Respect your choice not to go low carb. No point in suffering!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I had some foot cramping when I first started this WOE and a few this week. My magnesium was also tested in my labs (Christmas Eve) and it was in the range it should be in. So maybe my sodium or something was off...or potassium.
    Thanks again to all of you for your thoughts on this. I had in my head that to be low carb I had to permanently ditch breads, pastas, rice, etc. I've come to terms with the fact that that's not really true for me. I can have those things, I just have to go easy with it. So far I'm doing alright...
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I follow the example of Benjamin Franklin: "Abstinence is as easy for me as temperance would be difficult." If there is anything I shouldn't eat a lot of, I avoid it completely. I personally find that easier and less stressful than fretting about frequency and quantity. But, hey, I never claimed to be totally sane.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I had some foot cramping when I first started this WOE and a few this week. My magnesium was also tested in my labs (Christmas Eve) and it was in the range it should be in. So maybe my sodium or something was off...or potassium.
    Thanks again to all of you for your thoughts on this. I had in my head that to be low carb I had to permanently ditch breads, pastas, rice, etc. I've come to terms with the fact that that's not really true for me. I can have those things, I just have to go easy with it. So far I'm doing alright...

I've seen on other posts that the blood levels for magnesium will almost always test normal because your blood pulls it from other areas when it is low, but then that leaves your bones/joints missing the magnesium. I'm paraphrasing from memory so don't quote me on that, but it's something like that, I'll try to find the link.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I also try to keep my carbs at around 100. I do not eat pasta anymore and cut my rice, potato intake in half. I will have the odd bread sandwich, but most of my carbs come from fruit and veggies.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs under 100g, tonight I'm having pizza but I can only have 2 pieces to keep me under that number. I don't have any medical issues to worry about, so going over or higher every now and then doesn't affect me in a negative way.
    So to answer your question, I go with whatever fits in. Even having a higher carb count than most low carbers/ketoers has drastically reduced my cravings.

I did do keto for a little over a week which I really enjoyed, but the keto breath stopped me from continuing :disappointed: I'm still so pissed off about that!!! My husband wouldn't come within 10 feet of me.

I recently read somewhere that the Keto breath comes from too little Protein.....strange....
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    AuntStepie..yes Mg does NOT show up in a normal blood test, it takes a very special and hard to find lab that does the Magnesium RBC test…unless people are near death they will show NORMAL every time, even when they are VERY low..this confuses doctors who know very little about Mg. ..up to 80% of USA adults are way too low in Mg..and too high in calcium( which causes th cramping and heart attacks) …so a good MG supplement is necessary, even VEGGIES no longer have the correct Mg or Iron content as ourgranparents got, due to factory farming..this is where buying from a local organic farmer who DOES amend soils, or rotates crops will deliver Mg in food..otherwise you have to supplement.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you read The Magnesium Miracle, The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/034549458X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_shoLwb62CNBWE , you will never go another day without supplementing.