Working the Steps

Options
I am new to all this. I have been listening to pod cast and trying to work through the steps on my own.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hello Christian ladybug,
    If you haven't already done so, listen to Lawrie C. He has a bunch of sessions recorded on YouTube and a good website. I think it's OAbigbook.info or something like that. It should come up if you Google it.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @christianladybug, in the private group, there are lots of resources for you, so please check them out!
  • shirleyann2013
    shirleyann2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have one suggestion, get a sponsor.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The BB of AA was written so that ppl could work the steps on their own. Check out the OA Hour of Power website and recorded talks. It is BB based OA. Personally the BB is the only text I use for OA and I've had great results.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    The Big Book has saved so many lives. That's how I started out in the earlier years, but now I supplement my recovery with both AA and OA literature, with much success!
  • rebecky8085
    rebecky8085 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How do u join the private group? Thanks
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    How do u join the private group? Thanks

Here's the link to the private group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101992-overeaters-anonymous
  • novo24
    novo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I sent a request to join- will I just see the groups pop up in my list or should I be looking for something special?
  • novo24
    novo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Found it- thank you :)
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    The group name has changed and can be found here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101992-one-day-at-a-time-odat
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Got a call the other day from a guy who says he's got the gift of willingness, is looking for an OA sponsor and was referred to me. I said sure, read x-y pages in the AA big book and meet me at such and such agreed time and place. Sure he says. A day later I get a text saying he's changed his mind and doesn't want to drive that far. This is very typical of what I have experienced in OA several times and have learned to triage sponsees in this manner. I've made the mistake too many time of nursing people along who aren't willing enough to do the work. Every once in a while someone is truly willing, does the work and they get it rather quickly.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It's seemingly impossible when you make decisions in the throes of the thrill of some random motivation, and then you step back and realize how impossible it seems in the stark light of "morning." For so many who've struggled for so long, the realm of what is possible has seemingly shrunk so much that reality doesn't even exist any longer. I can't even tell you what allowed me to break out of that phase myself... Keeping the door open in case that person reaches out again is about all we can do sometimes, right, @wanderinjack ?
  • moe0303
    Options
    This was a subject of conversation in a recent interaction with my sponsor. From the standpoint of the potential sponsee, at least in my case, there were barriers that I felt I needed to overcome first. I think it is sometimes easier for folks just starting out than those of us who have read, studied, lurked, and learned for a while. We tend to get ahead of ourselves. I was told I needed abstinence in order to work the steps, but I found that abstinence elusive. So I basically allowed it to stall my progression in the program. I also dreaded the work required in steps 4,5 and 9. I still do, but having found abstinence (finally) I am pressing forward.

• wanderinjack
    Options
    [quote="KnitOrMiss;3... Keeping the door open in case that person reaches out again is about all we can do sometimes, right, @wanderinjack ?[/quote]

Of course, the gentleman explained that it was too far to drive to which I offered the fact that I'm in CA and my sponsor is in TN and I've never met him face to face. Phone meetings can be very effective.

Everyone has a dance they need to dance and they need dance that dance all the way out. I've had problems in the past taking on sponsees who weren't ready. The bb is very clear on how to handle this....."leave them alone."
  • moe0303
    Options
    ... Keeping the door open in case that person reaches out again is about all we can do sometimes, right, @wanderinjack ?

Of course, the gentleman explained that it was too far to drive to which I offered the fact that I'm in CA and my sponsor is in TN and I've never met him face to face. Phone meetings can be very effective.

Everyone has a dance they need to dance and they need dance that dance all the way out. I've had problems in the past taking on sponsees who weren't ready. The bb is very clear on how to handle this....."leave them alone."

Yeah, I agree. I don't really have a f2f meeting I can go to. My whole program is online, and on the phone. I have never met anyone face to face who identified themselves as a coe or a participant in the program. When he's ready, he'll come around. I am thankful that my sponsor left the door open for me to come back on my own.

• wanderinjack
    Options
    When the student is ready...
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Starting to work the steps again, and without a sponsor this time around. Instead, I'll be working with a small group, which will allow me to see others' insights on how they work the step. Looking forward to getting back to basics!
  • moe0303
    Options
    @grokrockstar, how's it going for you so far? Are you using a study guide?

My sponsor may be dropping me, I'm not sure. I'm doing my amends, so I'm going to keep pushing forward. We'll see where I go from there.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    @grokrockstar, how's it going for you so far? Are you using a study guide?

My sponsor may be dropping me, I'm not sure. I'm doing my amends, so I'm going to keep pushing forward. We'll see where I go from there.

We're using the OA 12 & 12 and big book. Unfortunately the group has lost its momentum, so I find myself just reading/studying on my own.
    Sorry to hear that you may be losing your sponsor, and all you can do is to carry on. Wishing you the best!