Question about calories...

Options
Since the Atkins diet is obviously gonna be high calorie at times what range of calories should I set the daily calorie intake goal?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be high calorie. My goal is 1300. I don't have any problem making that happen. I started out at 1200 the first 6 months or so.
    But, to determine your goal range, try one of the macro calculators at
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    Or
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Depends on you. People have different calorie needs depending on size, age, gender, etc.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    my goal is to lose on average .5 to 1 pound per week, and I tweaked my calories/exercise until I got it right. For me as an older person who likes to exercise, that is 1500 to 1600 or so calories per day. If I exercise more than 1 hour in a day, I add in 100 calories.
  • gettinfabnfit
    gettinfabnfit Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks all I aimed at About 1500 and have been doing ok
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's great!
    FWIW mine is 1350/day but I also eat some of my exercise calories.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1600/day but sometimes I am way lower and sometimes way higher. It all seems to even out in the end. I just make sure that I am getting plenty of fat and keeping my carbs < 20 NC/day. Protein usually falls in line if those other two are on point. I have had steady weight loss since I started and even managed not to gain anything over the holidays even though I did indulge in some sweets.

I agree with @deksgrl that everyone's needs are different. I am super tall (almost 5'11") and have a fairly physical job so I probably could get away with higher calories range but my weight loss seems to slow down when I set it higher. Right now I have found my sweet spot and I will readjust as needed.