Say Hello!

Options
PamOliva
PamOliva Posts: 101 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Hi I'm Pam, RN. Nurse for 20 years. Very recently lost 35 lbs and am working to sustain this. There was a thread in the forums wanting a group for Health Care Professionals so I created this one. Look forward to some lively conversation here & supporting my hard-working peers in getting and staying healthy & fit. Cheers!

Replies

• amber_olivares
    amber_olivares Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi pam! I'm a rad tech and a mom of two boys. I worked in a hospital for the past two years as a student and now I work in a clinic and a surgery center. The hospital was a tough environment food wise but at least there's a lot more walking to see patients all over the hospital. I used to walk 10,000 steps by 3pm. At the clinics there's much less walking to do. I'd love to be part of the group!
  • noranelfazary
    noranelfazary Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello , iam Noran a 3rd year medical student from Egypt . :blush:
    wish the best to all of u
  • robinalexis
    robinalexis Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi I am an ED NP. W over 30 yrs in. Lost 40# a few yrs back and have slowly crept 12 back on. Working hard to take it back off but at 61 3/4 hrs old it's getting harder and harder to get it off and do these killer shifts.
  • tans3352
    tans3352 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    HI I'm Tanya, Nurse for 5 years, living and working remotely. Trying to lose my lifetime of obesity. 42pounds down, 80 to go to get to a healthy weight for my BMI.
  • happyagain80
    happyagain80 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am NEESE. I've been an LPN for 3 years and I work in a variety of areas (which I think is the best part of nursing). I work part time in adult medicine as well as OB/GYN. I also do PRN work in flu clinics, home hospice, and assisted living. I started my health journey because I felt that I took care of all of these people but I didn't take time to care for myself. Good luck on your journey everyone!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I LOVE connecting with other healthcare professional! Only we can really understand how hard it is to eat well or at all during a very long shift.
    I'm 40yrs old. Work full time in PACU. Mother of a busy 5 yr old. Help my aging mom. Assist my recently widowed sister with 2 little girls. I'm busy!!!
    I've managed to lose 55lbs with MFP and working out. I feel great. I have another 15lbs to go so I can be within a normal BMI.
    I've learned tons during this process and love learning what has worked for others.
    Can't wait to get to know you all!
  • provon
    provon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am Nicole. Full time family physician. Work out a lot but have not been consistent enough with my eating habits. I keep fighting the fact that it is 80% what I eat and only 20% exercise.
  • AshFitness98
    AshFitness98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Ashlin. I'm a pharm tech and a student taking my basic classes then choosing what health career I really want to get into. I need to lose a little less than a 100 lbs. It's hard for me to eat healthy as it's usually more expensive and I don't have a lot of money to pay for food.
  • Nousheenh
    Nousheenh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Really happy to see this group, we have the privilege of taking care of others however work in an environment that makes self care very difficult. So much so that only other healthcare workers really realize the crazy hours and sleepless nights we think is normal. I am an MD in the NICU which comes with crazy call schedules...making routine a bit difficult. I am at the beginning of the journey though and hope to lose at least 50lbs and change the trajectory of my life towards healthy clean eating.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a second year medical student. I lost about 25 pounds during MS1 year. I gained a little back over the past 6 months but I am still within a healthy weight range. I'm looking to lose another 15 pounds and I will be very happy. Never thought I could lose weight in medical school - but it can be done! I think 3rd and 4th year will be easier. Second year is so much sitting and studying and food is so available. At least 3rd and 4th years will come with being busy!
  • provon
    Options
    Nousheenh wrote: »
    Really happy to see this group, we have the privilege of taking care of others however work in an environment that makes self care very difficult. So much so that only other healthcare workers really realize the crazy hours and sleepless nights we think is normal. I am an MD in the NICU which comes with crazy call schedules...making routine a bit difficult. I am at the beginning of the journey though and hope to lose at least 50lbs and change the trajectory of my life towards healthy clean eating.

Nice to meet you , Nousheenh, I know how hard and stressful the NI is, much harder than my primary care office job. I am kick starting my sugar detox doing whole30 this month.
    Nicole

• provon
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a second year medical student. I lost about 25 pounds during MS1 year. I gained a little back over the past 6 months but I am still within a healthy weight range. I'm looking to lose another 15 pounds and I will be very happy. Never thought I could lose weight in medical school - but it can be done! I think 3rd and 4th year will be easier. Second year is so much sitting and studying and food is so available. At least 3rd and 4th years will come with being busy!

Hi Bioqueen. Amazing job losing weight first year! That was by far my most stressful year and I gained weight. It gets so much better third and fourth years. Keep up the good work.
    Nicole
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a new grad RN, just started my new career in the OR. I am thrilled to see this group form. My coworkers are eaters and feeders. We get lunch provided once a week by one of the docs and it is never healthy. Not to mention the numerous homemade goodies everyone brings in. I have managed to lose 32lbs so far but my ultimate goal is to lose another 60. I am so excited to have the support from you all!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm Ashlie, MA for the last 3 years and working towards the pre-requisites for PA school. I work in a busy Community Health Clinic. Started MFP at 262lbs and am now down to 191, hoping to get to 145.
  • allysar
    allysar Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a wonderful inspiring group of healthcare professionals!

My name is Allysa. I am 49 years old and have been a nurse for 19 years. 17 of those have been in pediatric cardiac ICU. I have always worked nights. Long shifts, switching from days to nights and sleep deprivation as single mom to three have made it harder to lose but it can be done! I started at 146 pounds in September and am currently at 127. My underactive thyroid works against me to but I am feeling terrific. I would like to lose another 5 pounds or so but am focusing more on strengthening and toning.

I have a big birthday coming up soon and I want to look and feel fabulous!

• kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    My name is Karen. I've been a nurse for almost 30 years, 28 in Labor and Delivery, the last 16 on 12 hour nights. I'm currently down 109.6 lbs, almost at a "normal" BMI from a morbidly obese one. I think I do well with this, but the hospital atmosphere and the coworkers who plan potlucks for no particular reason, can be a hindrance. But that's real life and part of learning how to deal when things can change outside of your routine.
  • stazed657
    stazed657 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm stacey, orthopaedic registrar in Northern Ireland. Have lost 22lb through mfp since end of October 15, have about another 15lb to go but that may change depending on how I look! I know the scale isn't everything.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hi all *waves* I'm RNMH and fairly newly qualified (first year of being registered) I work in a locked rehab for women with personality disorder with other diagnoses, during my nursing degree I moved twice, got divorced, maintained a long distance relationship and oh, was a single parent with no family around. I gained a tonne of weight lol. Am looking to shift nearly 100 lbs and starting on Monday :) This monday. For sure. Yup. Monday.
  • dawnnicole85
    dawnnicole85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a physical therapist assistant student! Trying to develop healthy habits while dealing with the stress of school is difficult! But I am trying my best, and making lifestyle changes as the days pass!
  • Deej1020
    Deej1020 Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hey! I'm deej! Currently in medical school! Trying to develop a healthier lifestyle for me and my kids. Also stop snacking so much. I'm 21. Two kids. I started at 144lbs, got down to 126lbs. Have been that for 5 months. Not up or down. I started at 112lbs when I got pregnant. I just want to be at 115lbs, but my goal is it weight lost, it's being a healthy individual. The weight lost will be the bonus.