Thoughts on LowER Fat?

Options
kmhaley81
kmhaley81 Posts: 19 Member
Hi all! I've been LCHF since the day after Christmas, and haven't lost even a pound. I exercise (Jillian Michaels Body Revolution) 6 days a week and I want to lose 30 lbs. I had a lot of success following South Beach Diet 8 years ago, although I did the induction phase the entire time I was losing weight. I was VLC but not high fat and lost over 30 lbs. I'm wondering now if I need to reduce fat a bit in order to reduce calories. Like instead of full fat everything, incorporating low fat items (salad dressing, etc). Less fatty pork and beef and more lean proteins. Just curious on your thoughts about this.

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you taking in and what's your macro split?
  • kmhaley81
    Options
    1380 cal, 70% f, 5% c, 35%p
  • kmhaley81
    Options
    I also have PCOS
  • bluefish86
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kmhaley81 wrote: »
    1380 cal, 70% f, 5% c, 35%p

I think your numbers are off.... your macros equal 110%.
  • kmhaley81
    Options
    I meant 25% p sorry
  • bluefish86
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would keep your macros as they are for the time being... if anything I'd add more fat and lower protein intake a bit. It's only been 2 weeks, so don't freak out if there haven't been any changes yet. Some people start slow, then they'll lose a bunch of weight really quickly.

How were you eating prior to starting a LCHF diet? Did you have any signs of metabolic syndrome? One thing I will say is that if you're working out 6 days a week, eating 1380 calories a day seems really low. It might be beneficial for you to eat more while your body adapts to a different way of eating...
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? This may sound crazy, but try increasing your calories to 1500 or eating back 1/2 of your exercise calories to see if that causes a bump. I don't really believe in "starvation mode" however, I know that I had to increase my calories before I saw steady progress ( I was trying 1325 a day). I also have PCOS and I have my macros set at: Carbs - 20%, Fat - 50%, Protein - 30%. I eat 1400 calories Monday - Thursday and then 1750 calories Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I follow a lot of the principals of the Insulin Resistance Diet and have had success.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Since you have PCOS, there's no doubt some insulin resistance. This could be making you more likely to convert protein into glucose. I would honestly decrese protein and increase fat.
    Did you set calorie and macros using one of the Keto calculators? Try this one if you haven't done this yet. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    If it sets your calorie goal at around what you have then I would keep the calories set low.
    I hate to regurgitate the crap we often hear, but accurate calorie recording and exercise burns are sometimes the culprit. If it's possible that you may be selecting incorrect MFP entries or not quite recording the amounts correctly, it could certainly make alot of difference. Just consider those possibilities.
    The other really common thing that happens when weight isn't coming off is that inches actually are. If you haven't measured yet, definitely make it a priority to do so. And not just your waist. Measure your biceps, neck, thighs, around the ribs, hips... Because you may not get any result in one area but see something in another. I know that early in for me, I was surprised that I had a huge loss around my ribs but very little anywhere else at one point. To date, I've had the biggest losses in that area. Just make sure that you measure at the largest place for each one and the tape measure is parallel all the way around. And measure smallest area at the waist. This will help with accuracy.
    It's really unusual to at least not get done loss showing from a bit of water weight from burning through glycogen, so that makes me wonder if you're getting some sneaky carbs and it kinda makes the protein thing make more sense too...
    Anyway, part of the process is experimenting and adjusting. I'd try lower protein, higher fat and really really watch for sneaky carbs for the next week and see if anything changes.
    For sneaky carbs, consider if you have too much artificial sweetener or are preparing low carb versions of high carb foods and maybe even eating too many nuts or slightly higher carb veggies... Keep your veg green and it should be good.
    I hope this helps you figure things out. Sometimes, there isn't even a good answer and just seeing it through a bit longer is all that's needed.
  • Kimpadula201
    Kimpadula201 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey I am in the exact same boat as you! This is what I was wondering. My macros are almost exactly the same as yours p35 f60 c5 equaling 1325. I've only been on a week so I know that being impatient, but I know my body and usually if I'm strict I start at least feeling a bit thinner. I don't feel that way now at all I feel heavier and I'm wondering if it's the high fat. I've been eating a lot of cheese when I'm hungry. I'm trying to get into ketosis so I haven't been watching calories just staying under my carbs. You're question is exactly what I'm wondering if I should be eating leaner protein/ more veggies. I feel like I will switch to less fat once I'm sure I'm in ketosis though. I know I'm not offering any help lol but I'm glad you made the thread very helpful!
  • Kimpadula201
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ thanks that answer was very helpful I'm also going to try that for a few days because I use a lot of sweetnee sometimes and like I said I think I've been eating too much cheese!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Personally the high fat is what helps me stay at my calorie goal without starving to death so I would hesitate to go lower. I would keep a better watch on calories, make sure your protein isn't too high, and give it more time.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    One approach is to aim for your recommended protein, eat only the carbs that you allot yourself, and fill up the rest of your calorie allowance with fat. I'm trying to eat less saturated fat and more olive oil, which means leaner meat, less cheese, and more vegetables with olive oil on them.

If the South Beach diet worked for you, you could go higher carb by having more vegetables, without going all the way to high, or even moderate, carb.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Cheese was mentioned... Cheese can derail a fair number of us - it does me. It's rather annoying how many calories cheese can hold. That's an easy spot for me to have calories creep up. That and nuts. Mmmmm. Nuts...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Cheese was mentioned... Cheese can derail a fair number of us - it does me. It's rather annoying how many calories cheese can hold. That's an easy spot for me to have calories creep up. That and nuts. Mmmmm. Nuts...

That's what I was about to say! Great minds.. Lol
    Too much cheese tends to make me feel heavy. And it's entirely due to clogging up the plumbing. If I eat too much cheese, I will put on weight due to the contents of my gut! Earlier this week I had a bit too much cheese and protein too and my weight was up more than 2lbs overnight. Today, after doubling my magnesium dose to help create some elimination, I literally lost 1.8lbs from what I weighed upon waking, after a visit to the bathroom. Sorry if TMI, but, that's how it went...
    And that was even after drinking 32 ounces of Keto coffee, which would've added some weight from its volume in my belly. And... I wasn't totally constipated this week, just slow moving.
    Seriously, consider cheese a bit and think about that heaviness you're feeling... It could simply be masking possible losses.
    I have to take 3, 250mg magnesium oxide tablets to relieve the gut fullness. The amount will vary from person to person and a different type of magnesium is often ok too like citrate.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Did you just start the workout program? It's possible you are retaining fluid from the exercise which is making the weight loss on the scale. Have you taken measurements? That will likely be a better indication of what is going on. Also add others have said it's still early. Your macros seem good. Calories seem a bit low but I didn't see your other stats, it may be fine if you're shorter or older.
  • Kimpadula201
    Options
    Yes full that's how I feel I'm not constipated but my gut is like
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I eat a moderate amount of fat - I don't have a fat goal, just what I need after the carbs and protein to have enough energy for my body to work. It tends to run 65-75%. If I get to the end of the day and haven't eaten enough, I add either cheese (if I have a protein deficit) or olives (if I only have a calorie deficit).

But I have a calorie goal, not a fat goal.

(Cheese and nuts are staples in my diet! I also don't get hungry - and some fats are craving triggers for me - so adding fat to my diet would not solve a problem (keeping me from being hungry) and might create some (causing cravings))

I have lost 31 lbs (since Oct 2) eating this way, and - as of this morning - am no longer obese.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congrats! @neohdiver
  • kmhaley81
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your great replies! I do eat a lot of cheese so I will take that into consideration from here on out. I guess I'm a little confused about lowering my protein and increasing the fat. What are some ways you guys do this? To me, the easiest way to do that would be cheese. It's also hard to get out of the mindset of less protein because the dr that originally diagnosed me with PCOS and insulin resistance 10 years ago harped on low carb high protein.

Thanks again for the help. I'm 5'4 and 188 lbs as of this morning. I carry almost all of it around my stomach, typical of PCOS, and I'm really trying to lose the last 30 pounds of baby weight. Ahem. My daughter is 2 1/2 now.
  • kmhaley81
    Options
    I'm really thinking now I'm eating too much protein- I've been eating mostly meat and cheese.