Collard Green Burritos

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
Obviously the sky's the limit with respect to the fillings.
But has anyone tried these? As I try to limit my grains, I look for options for burritos and sammies.

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2012/collard-green-burritos/

Replies

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Never heard of using collard greens in place of tortillas, but I'm intrigued. I bookmarked the recipe. Let me know if you try it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Never heard of using collard greens in place of tortillas, but I'm intrigued. I bookmarked the recipe. Let me know if you try it.

Will do!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Looks attractive and tasty. I am lazy, I tend to throw taco or burrito fillings into a bowl, mix, and eat it with a spoon. LOL
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That sounds like a perfect solution for burritos or enchiladas! I love Mexican food!
    My younger childhood I lived in Houston Texas, USA. My parents had a pizza delivery business in a small shopping strip. There was a Mexican restaurant there too. The family's grandma did most of the cooking of traditional recipes. Being an only child, I spent a lot of time there after school and all day long in the summer. I had a friend my age from the other restaurant that also spent most of her time at her family's place. Of course, I got tired of pizza and she got tired of Mexican food, so we traded family when it was time to eat. Lol Those are some of my favorite memories! Even as a typical, picky, child back then, I loved the food so much!
    Come to think of it, that's probably when my carb addiction started! Between all the nachos, tortillas and endless pizza! Lol
    Sorry, you guys triggered a great memory. Had to share! ;)

Edit: I realized I said 'only child' and I am not, but I was raised as such since my siblings are quite a bit older than me. Thought that might seem weird to anyone that recalls me ever talking about my sister before...
  • catherineh1027
    catherineh1027 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I will need to try. I typically use lettuce for wraps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am going to give it a try tomorrow. What the heck. If I don't like it, I'll stir fry it. :smile:
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I do like the look of these. Lettuce and cabbage I have done but this will be an interesting twist. Thanks for sharing.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I have used collard greens before as an easy replacement for bread where sandwiches are concerned. They work well in that respect. The rib that runs down the middle of the leaf gets larger and thicker the closer to the bottom of the leaf it gets so if you are planning on "rolling" the collard leaf up I suggest you take a knife and trim the middle rib down some so you have an easier time folding / rolling it.
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The collard greens don't look too good to me (too nutritious). Last night I made low carb taco shells. They were pretty good copies. I made egg tacos, they were delicious. Now I an on the hunt for a tortilla press to perfect my fake tortillas.
    qmqv9if3gka5.jpeg
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    landiodo wrote: »
    The collard greens don't look too good to me (too nutritious). Last night I made low carb taco shells. They were pretty good copies. I made egg tacos, they were delicious. Now I an on the hunt for a tortilla press to perfect my fake tortillas.
    qmqv9if3gka5.jpeg

I use a romaine lettuce leaf as a taco shell
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I made these tonight. I made chicken, black bean, blue cheese, green chile salsa burritos. They were fan-frigging-tastic. Hubs loved them too.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I made these tonight. I made chicken, black bean, blue cheese, green chile salsa burritos. They were fan-frigging-tastic. Hubs loved them too.

Awesome! I'm gonna try cream cheese chicken enchiladas with collard green wrappers. I think they will hold up well to the baking. I'll report back on how that works.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    BalmyD wrote: »

Awesome! I'm gonna try cream cheese chicken enchiladas with collard green wrappers. I think they will hold up well to the baking. I'll report back on how that works.

Ooh, interesting. Please do. Today, with the rest, I'm going to make turkey, cheese, mustard wraps for lunches.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Ooh, interesting. Please do. Today, with the rest, I'm going to make turkey, cheese, mustard wraps for lunches.

I've made enchiladas in the past with eggplant wrappers, and while that is moderately satisfying, it is a lot of putzing around with the eggplant slices.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I've made enchiladas in the past with eggplant wrappers, and while that is moderately satisfying, it is a lot of putzing around with the eggplant slices.

The collards were pretty simple.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    They are pretty tasty:

2wgyjih.jpg
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    @landiodo - what recipe did you use to make the tacos? Being in AZ, I've GOT to find a substitute. Are you looking for a plain tortilla press or the kind that presses and heats them up at the same time?
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @phxteach i used the "paleo tortilla chips" recipe from elanaspantry.com. I made circles instead of triangles and cooked them a lot longer than recommended. I plan on using a regular tortilla press and resting them on something round in the oven so they will be a taco shape. My son thought they tasted like wheat thins rather than tortilla chips.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Raw collard greens are tough and barely edible.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Raw collard greens are tough and barely edible.

The link above provides an opportunity to see (1) soaking them for 10 minutes in lemon water and (2) cutting the main stem or thinning it and (3) scoring the main stem so folding is easier. It may not be in the link above so if not I saw it on the interwebz. In terms of barely edible I guess it comes to each individual and their definition of barely. Rice pudding is barely edible to me. Raw collard greens prepared using the simple steps above was pretty easy and very tasty. To each their own.