Say Hello!

Options

Replies

• marji1974
    marji1974 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Margie. I have been a pedi nurse for a little over 17 years and love it. Currently working in an outpatient clinic. I recently celebrated my 1 year journey towards a healthier me! I have lost a little over 50 pounds in that time period and have maintained that weight loss over the last 4 months. I am not near my goal weight yet but hope to continue towards that goal this year.
    My goal last year when I started my healthier me journey was more than about the weight loss it was to be the healthiest I can be. I started changing what I ate and gradually started to incorporate exercise. Now it's a way of living for me and not a diet. It's not always easy but it has so been worth it!
  • provon
    provon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Deej1020 wrote: »
    Hey! I'm deej! Currently in medical school! Trying to develop a healthier lifestyle for me and my kids. Also stop snacking so much. I'm 21. Two kids. I started at 144lbs, got down to 126lbs. Have been that for 5 months. Not up or down. I started at 112lbs when I got pregnant. I just want to be at 115lbs, but my goal is it weight lost, it's being a healthy individual. The weight lost will be the bonus.
    Hi Deej. Welcome. You have been on the fast track to be in med school with 2 kids at 21! I started med school at 22 but did not get around to having kids until 34 and 37. Great job on your weight loss so far. It's not easy with the med school schedule plus kids!
  • NurseSassy76
    NurseSassy76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, RN working in family practice clinic. Have noticed my steps decreased when I left the hospital. Have PCOS as well and have been on this roller coaster awhile. Success and failure behind me I am looking forward to a new year with new possibilities . Glad to be hear...feel free to add me!
  • deepthi87d
    deepthi87d Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I finished my medical school in India ..I am now preparing for USMLE..I am 142 lb and ht 5 2'..Trying to lose 20 Lb..Happy to be part this group.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have worked in many areas of the medical field for around 35 years except the times that I stayed home with the kids. I found my true calling in the oncology field as a patient navigator. I am a long time cancer survivor myself and that is when some of my weight issues started. But working in a building with as much food that comes in to ours makes dieting difficult. I also just had major back surgery so I am taking this time to eat right and care for myself.
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Jess ^^ I'm a medical student studying in Spain. I used to be really active but gave up my extracurriculars so I could have time to study and get into med school. Now I want to be healthy again!
  • suelouise1
    suelouise1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am a long time RN and a few years ago went back to school to become a nurse practitioner. I have always struggled keeping my weight down, but managed to keep it fairly in check until I went back to school, took care of aging parents, and went through a divorce all at the same time. :neutral: I am a stress eater. After graduation I moved from where I lived for over 40 years to a new town where I did not know a soul and started a new job - which explains the last pounds that appeared. I am doing well now and feel that I can start the journey of losing 80 plus pounds. Work does not make it easy as the culture is to bring a lot of food (not usually healthy) to share with everyone. However, I need to do this - not only for myself but for my patients. It is difficult to talk with a patient about the impact their weight has on health when I am overweight myself. Thanks to the person who started this group as I know that everyone here also has struggled with the stress of work (or school) and overeating.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been a RN for 10 years now. I've always been heavy, even as a child. My last semester of nursing school I started dieting and going to the gym for 3-4 hrs a day and managed to drop from 280 down to 200 in about 6 months time. I maintained this for about a year and then life happened. I got married, had miscarriages, moved states and back again. Fast forward 10 years and I was up to 351 and felt horrible. Since May 2015, using MFP and starting weight training at home, I've lost 30 lbs and 40 inches overall. I'm at 321 right now and have at least another 121 lbs to lose. I love to eat and can be an emotional eater when I'm not careful. It's time I take control and, no matter what, make sure I stay healthy or I will not be around to take care of everyone else.
  • provon
    provon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    deepthi87d wrote: »
    I finished my medical school in India ..I am now preparing for USMLE..I am 142 lb and ht 5 2'..Trying to lose 20 Lb..Happy to be part this group.

Good luck on your USMLE! What specialty are you interested in ? I am a family physician
  • pwski929
    pwski929 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name is Pam and I have been a nurse (RN and LPN) for 16 years. I have been overweight my whole adult life and my plan is to have gastric sleeve surgery this spring/summer. I am nervous about it but something drastic needs to be done. I have failed to do it with diet and exercise alone. I am dieting now just to lose as much as I can before surgery. I am a nurse that sits at a desk most of the day (Oncology Research Nurse)but that does not mean I don't have my own stressors.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    pwski929 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, my name is Pam and I have been a nurse (RN and LPN) for 16 years. I have been overweight my whole adult life and my plan is to have gastric sleeve surgery this spring/summer. I am nervous about it but something drastic needs to be done. I have failed to do it with diet and exercise alone. I am dieting now just to lose as much as I can before surgery. I am a nurse that sits at a desk most of the day (Oncology Research Nurse)but that does not mean I don't have my own stressors.

You have what I would call a very interesting job, anything in oncology is stressful. Good luck with your sleeve. I have a friend that has had great luck with it, just remember you have to change your head too. But you can do it!
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am Ryan and I am a Medical Assistant, working in pediatric primary care, and also a Public Health student. Finishing up a Bachelor's to move on to med school? PA school? Don't know yet. I lost 120# over the first 3 years in the field, and then I moved, quit my job, got depressed, etc etc got fat again. I am looking to lose 90ish. Just feel/look/live more heathfully.
  • deepthi87d
    Options
    provon wrote: »

Good luck on your USMLE! What specialty are you interested in ? I am a family physician

• deepthi87d
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ☺️
  • deepthi87d
    Options

Thankyou..I am interested in Family Medicine..☺️
  • lariel2005
    lariel2005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! :) thanx for inviting me to This Group. I am a dentist, and it is not a Very physical Job, I spend most of the day sitting... I hope to Get in shape to allow me to keep my Job for many years.
  • deepthi87d
    Options
    At first I don't know how to post reply for a comment..So I messed some messages trying to post reply..Sorry Everyone..Now I figured out how to post reply..
  • micheles234
    micheles234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a nursing student, graduating in May. I've lost 10 lbs and would love to lose another 45. I'm 36, with a husband, and 2 kids, ages 13 and 16.
  • kaysie67
    kaysie67 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Pam and everyone in the group. I'm almost 49 and I'm trying to get back to the healthy, active person I once was. I am on a journey to lose 50 lbs to my ideal weight. I have been a nurse for nearly 27 years. I am working hard to fit in healthy eating and fitness to my busy management role, returning to school and family demands. So far I have lost 5 pounds since the beginning of the year.
    29548983.png
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm April. Labour and Delivery Nurse for 15 years, Care Facilitator for 4.5 years.

I am a stress eater, the last time I saw Onederland was in 1996. Nursing school and poor eating packed on 40, working straight nights, a horrible marriage a divorce packed on 40. The remaining 20 came via a fabulous marriage, a deployment, 2 great kids and being in charge.

I'm 38. I want to be fab and 40 more than I want cake. I've got two years to get 120 lbs gone, and I'm down 8 and into week 3. This is not my first time at MFP, but it is my time being honest about why I eat, and exploring how I eat.