For those on the higher end of low carb - question

Options
13»

Replies

• MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I eat up to 150 grams of carb/day but usually fall closer to 100. Because I follow a loose paleolithic template, I eat safe starches. Potatoes and white rice are okay. No gluten grains, no sugar. I do have beans occasionally as well, hence the "loose" description. I have found that sticking to healthier carbs is best for my body.

Sabine - one of the reasons I love this board is that in the launch pad on the main page, it states that low carb is anything 150grams or under. I always feel welcome here no matter what my current low carb plan may be.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I'm going to look in to that book. I did buy Magnesium supplements a month or so ago, but I think I bought the "wrong" variety. I can't remember now which one I have, but I don't think it's the one people talk about. So then I get concerned about it some. I read that if you supplment magnesium you should also supplement vitamin K, vitamin D and I think it was Calcium. Then the potassium thing pops up in there somewhere as well and says that you can dump magnesium more if you supplement potassium. Then you add sodium in. It starts to get really kind of like a tangled web of crazy. It's like trying to balance everything with supplements starts to feel neurotic to me...like it shouldn't be so hard to balance these things. Is this an issue people encounter who aren't eating low carb, because it didn't seem to come up as often (or ever really) in discussions of eating "balanced" diet of moderation. Gets a little overwhelming.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm still experimenting with what works. Since I am re-upping my exercise after a month or two of inconsistency and also eating too much (carbs included) and gaining a few pounds over the holidays, I'm resetting. Aiming for around 75-100g/day, which is what Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Apple) recommends for weight loss. Some days with really high activity I might go over. I have a tough time staying away from legumes, especially lentils. For some reason, a big bowl of lentil stew is a great meal for the night before a workout and my morning run is always better after I eat that for dinner. That and they're cheap.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I'm going to look in to that book. I did buy Magnesium supplements a month or so ago, but I think I bought the "wrong" variety. I can't remember now which one I have, but I don't think it's the one people talk about. So then I get concerned about it some. I read that if you supplment magnesium you should also supplement vitamin K, vitamin D and I think it was Calcium. Then the potassium thing pops up in there somewhere as well and says that you can dump magnesium more if you supplement potassium. Then you add sodium in. It starts to get really kind of like a tangled web of crazy. It's like trying to balance everything with supplements starts to feel neurotic to me...like it shouldn't be so hard to balance these things. Is this an issue people encounter who aren't eating low carb, because it didn't seem to come up as often (or ever really) in discussions of eating "balanced" diet of moderation. Gets a little overwhelming.

I initially bought the wrong magnesium too. And I bought 2 huge bottles of it since it was buy 1 get 1 free! I have magnesium oxide which is one of the least absorbed, so I take 4 times the amount the bottle says. I just keep taking it since I have it and it's also helped with slow moving digestion from over consumption of cheese and protein from time to time. But, even with that less effective form, my foot/leg cramps all cleared up. I keep an eye on sodium too but that alone wasn't enough to keep the cramping under control before. The only potassium supplementing I do is with NuSalt, so I'm not even reaching the predetermined setting MFP has in my diary, so I'm not at risk of over supplementing potassium. I think the risk of dumping the other is only in cases of over supplementing.
    I don't recall reading that Vit K and D are specifically recommended when taking Magnesium, it may be, I just don't know about that, but I do know that if supplementing Vit D, it is recommended to also add K. And that even goes into detail about specific forms too.
    What I recall hearing about calcium was that most people already get enough calcium but show deficiencies because it's not able to be utilized by the body due to lack of magnesium. And, when not utilized correctly, it ends up in tissues creating pain, often arthritis, So my understanding is that if you are eating foods with it, and don't have any health issue requiring more than average, then magnesium alone creates better calcium absorption making supplementing it mostly unnecessary. At least at higher amounts anyway. There seems to be a balance with mag and calcium... Where you don't want to over do calcium... I honestly can't remember what information specifically gives me that idea, but I've listened to a few podcasts recently where this was discussed and that's the idea I took away from that particular part. I mostly listen to Livinlavidalowcarb, Ketovangelist and Fatburningman, so it should be one or more of them that covered the subject.

I think people that aren't eating low carb are honestly less aware of how these things affect their health and we first learn about it through the basic need to replace sodium from the water loss and the learning process just goes from there. I firmly believe that everyone needs to supplement at least magnesium for the vital role it plays and vitamin C at high doses for the amazing immune benefits it can provide. I've become particularly interested in supplements and have done some fair reading/podcast listening about a select few so far. I don't doubt I'll have strong ideas about others as I continue to learn. Lol
    My dad doesn't eat low carb at all. His idea of a meal is a whole can of fruit and a can of ravioli! Taking sodium, magnesium and fish oil has helped him more than anything his doctors had done in months, with his low blood pressure and chronically dry skin which made him have the worst break out ever from his Agent Orange rash.
    He had suffered for months and the doctors just gave him steroid creams and told him to stand up slower... Never ever did anyone mention taking sodium or supplements that help balance hydration. As a matter of fact they kept giving contradicting advice to drink more water... And then tell him he was drinking too much water.. The only thing they said about salt was to put some on food. But he only eats one meal a day, so he couldn't possibly get enough!
    Anyway, I'm rambling now. Sorry :blush:
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I couldn't agree more about the magnesium. I take one that's a combination of oxide, citrate, and malate by nature's life. It was recommended by a natural health practitioner a little over a year ago before i even started reducing carbs. I also like Natural Calm. Clears up leg cramps and really helps with sleep!
    I've also been reading about supplements and the high dose vitamin c is amazing. Abel James had a podcast about it with Dr. Andrew Saul (Fat Burning Man show). I'm working on getting lots more C in my system, since my immune system is not functioning optimally (up to 5,000mg/day for past week). Dr. Saul's website has a bunch of articles about the benefits of megadoses of Vitamin C. Amazing!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I will eat smaller amounts of rice and potatoes. I don't cook them for myself, it is either when I go out or when I eat at my mom's. So, about twice a week. I avoid bread and pasta. Bread tends to really bind up my digestion and I'm usually sorry I ate it, pizza especially. I do eat a lot of veggies, weekdays I eat a big salad at lunch and then dinner almost always involves more salad or veggies. I do eat a lot of apples (I eat more variety of fruit in the summer time).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I couldn't agree more about the magnesium. I take one that's a combination of oxide, citrate, and malate by nature's life. It was recommended by a natural health practitioner a little over a year ago before i even started reducing carbs. I also like Natural Calm. Clears up leg cramps and really helps with sleep!
    I've also been reading about supplements and the high dose vitamin c is amazing. Abel James had a podcast about it with Dr. Andrew Saul (Fat Burning Man show). I'm working on getting lots more C in my system, since my immune system is not functioning optimally (up to 5,000mg/day for past week). Dr. Saul's website has a bunch of articles about the benefits of megadoses of Vitamin C. Amazing!

Yes! I heard that podcast too and immediately checked out Dr Sauls site. Though I had stumbled across it somewhere else before that too. I'm up to 6000mg a day and have my kids taking 3000mg. I think 6000 is a good spot for daily maintenance for me and will increase upon any symptoms of illness. At least that's the plan for now. I haven't gotten to the point he suggests you stop at based on digestive response. At 6000mg I have no digestive response at all. So, that would suggest that I am using all of what I'm taking and none of it is being dumped through elimination. I guess I could still take more. But I'm baby stepping it. I feel like I have a pretty good immune system. No health issues and I rarely get sick. So the fact that my body is putting all that C to use really goes to show how much we really need even when healthy. I've become so addicted to learning this stuff since going Keto because you can literally see/feel the differences in adjustments that are made so you know you're on the right track or not. Gotta love not being so overloaded with inflammation, water retention and brain fog that we can actually reap the benefits of nutrient and mineral additions to our diets in noticeable ways! And the fact that even with my ADD symptoms, I am able to seek out information, read it once and retain a fair amount of it! Granted, it starts to fade from memory if I don't refresh my memory on occasion, but that's huge for me!
    I hope your able to see a noticeable improvement with your immune system with the C. I believe you're doing a great thing for your body. :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you read The Magnesium Miracle, The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/034549458X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_shoLwb62CNBWE , you will never go another day without supplementing.

Thank you too. This looks interesting. I hope to read it next week. :)
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you read The Magnesium Miracle, The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/034549458X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_shoLwb62CNBWE , you will never go another day without supplementing.

Thank you too. This looks interesting. I hope to read it next week. :)

Reserved it at the library today - should be able to pick it up tonight or tomorrow! Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Do you take the orange flavour vitC or regular C tablets?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Do you take the orange flavour vitC or regular C tablets?

Regular C tablets. Super cheap, Walgreens brand, buy 1 get 1 free. They are 1000mg each ascorbic acid. 180 per bottle, so 360 for $9.99. It's cheaper to buy the powder on Amazon though.
  • provitasemper
    provitasemper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I currently started keto again, but when I was eating more carbs 100ish, I was eating some breads. Wheat products are my downfall, even organic/full grain. My trigger for hunger cravings is wheat grain. Pasta, bread, cake, cookies...I'm off to the races if I eat those regularly. Perhaps it is the added sugar in those products? Not sure.

So after I achieve my GW by June 2016 I plan on steering clear of those and instead reincorporating organic brown rice, organic squashes and organic potatoes as my higher-carb foods. Maybe even legumes. However peanut butter is another trigger food for cravings for me.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Anything that has sugar (even peanut butter) is a trigger for me! I will crave foods and feel like I'm starving to death for 2 days after just one serving of anything with sugar!!!
  • sheiladurnil
    sheiladurnil Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Do you still eat any breads/pastas or is your carb allotment to allow for fruits/veggies that are higher in carbs? I stay under 100 carbs (total, not net) per day. I've had a few occasions where I've chosen pasta or bread (in the form of pizza only) as my carbs for the day - or a breakfast bar (usually Atkins). For example, last night I had homemade lasagna that was around 45 or so carbs (noodles/sauce/cottage cheese,etc). I'm just curious if many people fall in the "no bread, no pasta, no rice" or just sort of go with whatever they want that fits in. I haven't suffered any cravings or weird hunger from going this route, so I plan to stick to it - just wondering how others handle it.

I am not eating white potatoes, rice, bread, cakes, cookies, pasta and I have been very sparingly on the sweet potatoes and quinoa and my carbs stay close to the 100 side... I do eat oatmeal for the fiber and I see carbs in crazy things like cherry tomatoes... and some of my protein. I am finding it very hard to get to the 25-50 range that I want to be in.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I follow the example of Benjamin Franklin: "Abstinence is as easy for me as temperance would be difficult." If there is anything I shouldn't eat a lot of, I avoid it completely. I personally find that easier and less stressful than fretting about frequency and quantity. But, hey, I never claimed to be totally sane.

This is how it works for me also. None is easier than moderation at least for my triggers.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Anything that has sugar (even peanut butter) is a trigger for me! I will crave foods and feel like I'm starving to death for 2 days after just one serving of anything with sugar!!!

Oh man, that's rough! Thankfully I don't have that problem, I'm sorry to hear you do, though - so frustrating! Prior to this WOE I was always, always hungry feeling. So much so that my husband nicknamed me "The Hungry Girl"! So glad that's mostly resolved now!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's sucks but I've tried several times just to test thing out and every time I stay hungry for 2 days. One time it was sugar free syrup for my coffee, another 2tbs of peanut butter then I tired this skinny girl mix in a cocktail. I learned to like my coffee with just HWC and Coconut oil and my drinks with just vodka and water with lemon lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    AuntStepie..yes Mg does NOT show up in a normal blood test, it takes a very special and hard to find lab that does the Magnesium RBC test…unless people are near death they will show NORMAL every time, even when they are VERY low..this confuses doctors who know very little about Mg. ..up to 80% of USA adults are way too low in Mg..and too high in calcium( which causes th cramping and heart attacks) …so a good MG supplement is necessary, even VEGGIES no longer have the correct Mg or Iron content as ourgranparents got, due to factory farming..this is where buying from a local organic farmer who DOES amend soils, or rotates crops will deliver Mg in food..otherwise you have to supplement.

@KETOGENICGURL So, what does it say about me that my magnesium actually tested low on the blood test. Does anyone know?
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm a lower carber 50ish. My carbs are lots of veggies and one fruit a day. I haven't had bread, pasta, rice, grains, potatoes etc..in nearly 4 years. I prefer the total abstinence method and don't miss it. If I could do anything in moderation I wouldn't have gotten fat