Chinese brown sauce?

Options
I would like to stir fry meats with veggies in a Chinese brown sauce. Anyone have a good recipe for the brown sauce? Beef with broccoli type of dish. I also love the flavor of the pepper steak from PFChangs.

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I use this one replacing the sugar with Splenda and the cornstarch for xanthan gum... http://www.food.com/recipe/all-purpose-stir-fry-sauce-brown-garlic-sauce-87748

Here's the recipe for PF Chang's pepper steak. http://www.food.com/recipe/p-f-changs-pepper-steak-512818 Again, the substitutions plus I add a tablespoon of http://www.templeofthai.com/food/chili-sauce/chili-garlic-huy-fong
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    @ki4eld - is there a trick to using the xanathan gum? I know mixed with water, it turns in to the slimiest mess I've ever dealt with. And are there a lot less carbs in xanathan gum than in cornstarch? And THANKS for giving specifics - I know what I want to make now for dinner!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've been making a lot of stir fry lately. I just start with coconut oil, add some butter, cook the meat in that. Maybe season the meat with this spice mix
    tsthgcnsx2ig.jpg
    2yscvo6df1xq.jpg
    And I'll add some soy sauce too, and my veggies of course. I don't bother thickening it up. I just put it on top of a bed of zucchini noodles.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yummy
  • ki4eld
    edited January 2016
    Options
    phxteach wrote: »
    @ki4eld - is there a trick to using the xanathan gum? I know mixed with water, it turns in to the slimiest mess I've ever dealt with. And are there a lot less carbs in xanathan gum than in cornstarch? And THANKS for giving specifics - I know what I want to make now for dinner!

Don't mix it with water. Mix it with oil first, which disburses it so it won't gum up, then add water.

Yes, the carb difference is huge. Xanthan gum is 0 net carbs, because it's pretty much equal carbs/fiber. Not so with corn starch. 28g of cornstarch has 26g of carbs and there's no fiber to negate it.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    phxteach wrote: »

Don't mix it with water. Mix it with oil first, which disburses it so it won't gum up, then add water.

Yes, the carb difference is huge. Xanthan gum is 0 net carbs, because it's pretty much equal carbs/fiber. Not so with corn starch. 28g of cornstarch has 26g of carbs and there's no fiber to negate it.

Oooh, thanks for the oil tip. I've used everything from a hand whisk to my KitchenAid immersion blender and never got those pesky lumps out.

• ki4eld
    Options
    If I'm in a hurry or don't feel like it, I admit to mixing it and then just straining out the lumps. But the oil trick works pretty good.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use a dash of bone broth in my stir fries, and thicken it with Xanthan Gum (sprinkle about 1/3 tsp in and stir well). The rest of the seasoning (Garlic, Ginger, Chili, Soy Sauce) make up the sauce flavour.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips! Always looking for new/different flavors for meat and veggies, and this sounds really good! Thanks again everybody!
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been making a lot of stir fry lately. I just start with coconut oil, add some butter, cook the meat in that. Maybe season the meat with this spice mix

And I'll add some soy sauce too, and my veggies of course. I don't bother thickening it up. I just put it on top of a bed of zucchini noodles.

I LOVE 5 spice. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't. For me, the 5 spice with some Braggs Liquid Aminos is a great stir fry.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The sauce blend in this recipe, with obvious low carb substitutions, is really really, lick-the-plate worthy.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/07/pepper-steak.html

Also second the above recommendations to use soy, garlic, ginger, etc. to create your own. I used to be addicted to the leaded traditional brown sauce, and I find I actually like this one above, and one that I use with grated garlic, grated ginger, and Tamari soy sauce far better.