Sodium, Blood Pressure, and the Russian Nephrologist

Options

Replies

• V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    But elevated blood pressure is the major cause of stroke. High BP is a sign that perfusion to certain areas is poor; poor blood perfusion means ischemia/lack of O2. The body has to compensate (raise BP) in times of ischemia
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    His argument (to me) was that high variability, not constantly high BP, is possibly a sign of poor perfusion. As you say, it's a sign that the body is trying to compensate.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I don't have much of an update yet. I wanted to postpone any radical diet changes until I completed a metabolic analysis for my kidney stone -- that should happen this month.

I did try to clarify if he really wanted me to ramp up to 20g of sodium, so I talked to his nurse, and we both agreed that he must have said 20g of SALT (which is like 8g/d of sodium).

Last week, I did try to increase my salt intake a bit. I added some kimchi and ate a couple pickles a day.

Too soon to tell for sure, but my BP was normal for the few days I checked. And even in a hospital setting, where my BP always takes off, they recorded me at 114/77 mmHg. Perfectly normal.

That's a relief - I just don't know how you could tolerate even 20g of salt in terms of taste - you would have to include salt pills so your mouth doesn't feel revolting.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    His argument (to me) was that high variability, not constantly high BP, is possibly a sign of poor perfusion. As you say, it's a sign that the body is trying to compensate.

That is what I was told too - it wasn't a constant higher than normal that made my docs uncomfortable, it was the spikes - because it is the crazy spikes of high pressure that can highlight and weaken already weakened spots in the vessels.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I had another date meeting with the Russian nephrologist today.

I have been increasing my sodium intake for the last month of so, but not yet to the levels he suggested. 20g of salt is a tough target to reach! It basically means eating salty food at every meal. I've only managed to get about one salty meal a day. Today, for example, I had some lox for breakfast.

The effect is that my blood pressure is a bit more normal. My morning SBP has dropped as low as 107 -- pretty much the lowest I've seen since I've been monitoring.

And in the past, the SBP measured at a doctor's office has been pretty consistently 130+. It's now consistently 120.

So maybe the salt is working. Still too soon to say for sure.

He ordered 3 diagnostic tests at our first visit, and we reviewed the results today:

1) Albumin/Creatinine Ratio

Basically a test of kidney function. Mine is normal.

2) B-type Natriuretic Peptide (BNP)

This is a hormone secreted by the heart to regulate fluid levels. Mine was essentially undetectable, which I thought was a Good Thing. He says it means that my blood volume is consistently too low. Too little sodium!

3) Carotid Intima Media Thickness (CIMT)

This was the big one! It was an ultrasound test of my carotid artery to determine thickness and plaques. If it's thicker than average for my age, that can be a result of high blood pressure.

Mine was normal for my age.

So, in terms of blood pressure, he thinks that I may need meds someday (because both parents are on BP meds), but not yet. Not a diuretic, though. Probably a calcium channel blocker.

And he prescribes more salt!

I'm going to try to increase sodium even more than I have and see what effect it has on BP variability.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update! Will be interesting to see what your b/p does once you are consistent with the increased sodium (I don't know if I could tolerate that much but would try if I had to)!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    *hands Wab a salt lick* :wink:
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I had another date meeting with the Russian nephrologist today.

Love your wit!

Never mind the kidneys - thank you for the update though.

• creamcake2
    creamcake2 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am following this story too ! I have always been told to cut back on salt! Also told to not eat fat! Everything I have learned in the past 60 something years is just a lie????? Very interesting read.....I will stay tuned for the next chapter!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi blood pressure in older people (over 70) is actually linked to a longer life span.
  • thubten1
    thubten1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am having a lot of trouble swallowing 20 gm sodium a day advice.Is there something about your advisor being russian that is significant? Is he actually a board certified nephrologist? Did he ever give you any references in the scientific literature on which he based his opinion?
    I hope you are OK
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My dad has a problem with low blood pressure due to low blood volume and drinking too much water, if you can believe it. His doctors could get nowhere with him. He would get really dizzy upon standing and at times can't even walk because of the dizziness and weakness in his legs. I got him some sodium tablets and magnesium and he started feeling better the very next day. He said he still gets dizzy sometimes and I told him to take a second tablet (making it 2000mg) and he's hesitant because "that's a lot of salt". Uh... But didn't you start feeling better? He finally decided to take a second one but at night so he could space them out. It did help and he feels even more stable. He also has a nerve problem, Lambert Eaton Syndrome, associated with cancer, so the fact that sodium offers any help at all is great!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    @wabmester if you could stop in and answer the questions here, that'd be awesome.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Wab seems to be on vacation right now, so I'm going to address some of the points that I can.
    thubten1 wrote: »
    I am having a lot of trouble swallowing 20 gm sodium a day advice.

Make sure to read through the whole thread, not just the first post. The 20g sodium thing is addressed in a later post, where Wab and the nurse conclude that he said salt, not sodium, putting the sodium intake at 8g.
    Is there something about your advisor being russian that is significant? Is he actually a board certified nephrologist?

I can't speak for Wab on either of these, but knowing him, I suspect that if the doctor is not board certified, he's likely very highly qualified. Wab's not the kind of person to believe just anyone (as reading his posts in the archives will tell you).

As for him being Russian, I suspect the largest significance is his mannerisms. If you've ever had an Eastern European or Asian doctor (or other service provider) -- and I'm talking "fresh off the boat" immigrant, here, not American with Eastern European or Asian ancestry -- there's a certain demeanor to them that makes them stand out. This isn't a bad thing by any means. It's just something that one happens to notice.
    Did he ever give you any references in the scientific literature on which he based his opinion?

I can't speak for his references, but I found a few you can start with while we wait to hear back from Wab.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/04/low-salt-diets-reduce-heart-disease-risk-right-a-study-disagrees/
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/02/why-does-salt-raise-blood-pressure/
    http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/07/salt-diet-high-blood-pressure-evidence.html
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-science-on-hypertension-really-shows/
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0115/p359.html

Unfortunately, certain organizations have done a damn good PR job and it's quite difficult for the layman to find anything that contradicts the conventional wisdom. However, like most of the recommendations, the salt thing is an oversimplification of a more complex thing, and is based off of shoddy science (nutrition -- the only science field where uncontrolled population studies are treated as solid fact and correlation is treated as causation).

What the above links state, at the very least, is that there is no actual correlation in the more strictly-controlled trials between sodium intake and blood pressure. Some of them also mention that increased sodium intake actually helps prevent death.

The thing is, the body regulates sodium concentrations in the blood more tightly than it regulates glucose. As a result, the body will change blood volume and vasoconstriction in order to maintain a certain concentration. This also means that it will deprive the other cells of sodium in order to maintain said concentration.

In other words, it's less about the raw intake numbers and more about the concentration levels in the blood.

Finally, for a quick anecdote regarding blood pressure, I'll share my recent experiences:

I by no means restrict my sodium intake. In fact, I salt damn near everything, in addition to eating a fair amount of cheese, and enjoy the occasional cup of salted broth. Hell, I even add salt to the "energizing hot cocoa" recipe that I recently found (milk of any sort, cocoa, teaspoon or two of coconut oil, dash of cayenne, salt, pinch of cinnamon, and a bit of sweetener of choice, heat, blend, enjoy). Right now, I'm donating plasma twice a week, and I get it measured every time. Yesterday's measurement -- 114/77 A previous measurement -- 114/65 And that's with a shoddy water habit lately (noontime measurements, and the only thing I've had to drink is coffee with a fair bit of cream; yeah...I'm a phlebotamist's worst nightmare, except I still manage to bleed well). Oh, and those numbers are a reduction since going low carb (which is another thing that throws off the studies -- because of the naturetic nature of ketones, our sodium needs -- and therefore intake tolerance -- goes up), my numbers have always been in that 120/80 "perfection" range.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Wab, interestingly, my NP recommended I use Coconut oil (mental health & lipids) as well as blueberries. Coincidentally, this setting has Ukranian & Russian speaking practitioners...interesting how they seem a bit more revolutionary vs. other practitioners. Although they weren't pushing using seemingly absurd amounts of NaCl
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I drink Kombrucha. Deelish. Also this; low carb high fat dieting; fat does not make you fat. That is proven by everyone who eats this way. It is the opposite. Maybe the same with sodium and blood pressure. I think there is so much we don't know.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Hey @wabmester -- now that you're back, care to post a follow-up and answer some of the questions posted here? Thanks!
  • wabmester
    Options
    thubten1 wrote: »
    I am having a lot of trouble swallowing 20 gm sodium a day advice.Is there something about your advisor being russian that is significant? Is he actually a board certified nephrologist? Did he ever give you any references in the scientific literature on which he based his opinion?
    I hope you are OK

As @dragonwolf mentioned, it turned out to be 20g of salt, or about 8g of sodium. Still high, but not quite as crazy high.

My GP referred me to this particular nephrologist, and when the GP asked me how it went, I told him the guy is either brilliant or a quack, and I couldn't really tell which.

My Yale-educated GP assured me that he wasn't a quack and was good at his specialty, so that reassured me a bit. :)

And, yeah, he's board certified in nephrology and internal medicine.

His being Russian does influence both his bedside manner and his approach, I think. He's very direct. And he comes from a more homogenous culture, which probably influenced his view. He seems to feel strongly that genetics should be considered both for diet and health. In other words, he thinks it's a mistake to prescribe one diet or one set of guidelines for a mixed culture like the US.

After our first chat, I asked if he was writing a book. He said he was, and he apparently speaks at conferences often about his unconventional approaches.

As I think I mentioned in the thread, my blood pressure has never been better, even in "white coat" situations.

But I recently went on a 3-week vacation to Africa, when I found it difficult to eat a high-sodium diet (and that's a diet that probably doesn't make sense for the Africans). I just measured my BP, and it's higher now, so I'll try to ramp up my sodium intake again and see if my BP stabilizes.

In terms of follow-up, he said I probably don't need meds yet, but I may later since both my parents are on BP meds. I think he's considering a calcium channel blocker rather than a diuretic, since he feels my blood volume is already too low when my sodium intake is insufficient.

And we agreed to do a one-year experiment and follow-up. The experiment was related to my CIMT results, which showed some plaque. We agreed to measure inflammation via CRP. If it was high, I would take a low dose of statins for a year to see if we could reverse the plaque growth. If low, we'd see how my dietary approach worked after a year.

CRP was 0.1 (very low inflammation), so I'll see him again in a year and see how well low-carb and high-sodium works on my health markers in the longer term.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bump for @Bayluvr.
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Soooo...does it matter what source the sodium/salt comes from?