Introduce Yourself :)

Options
dougfarrar1
dougfarrar1 Posts: 19 Member
Take a second and tell us a little about yourself :)

Replies

• dougfarrar1
    Options
    I guess I will get the ball rolling here :)
    My name is Doug. I feel like I have been on a diet for the past 25 years. It was a burden that was always hovering in the back of my mind to eat better and lose weight, but I often lost the motivation. I would stress eat and dive into work without making health my priority. My desire to change grew stronger when I was in my 40’s and my daughter was born. It hit me that I wanted to be there to walk her down the aisle someday. I started making changes but had a long way to go! It wasn’t until I lost my dad and a good friend within the span of 2 years, that I adopted the mantra “enough is enough!”
    My wife’s health community started giving ideas of making simple changes each month and the idea of having healthy shakes each day along with eating healthier has finally been a way I have been able to lose weight in a healthy way and keep it off. I am no longer on blood pressure or cholesterol meds and have steady weight loss. I now feel better than ever, but I have another 40 pounds to do! I am READY! As I said, #enoughisenough!
  • fishykitten
    fishykitten Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone ^_^
    My name is Havilah. I've been struggling with weight my entire life and have recently really buckled down to change how I live. I started at 172 at the beginning of the month and am down almost 10 pounds. my goal weight is 120 pounds, I hope by changing my lifestyle I'll begin to change my life for the better.
  • dougfarrar1
    Options
    Welcome Havilah! 10 pounds is an awesome accomplishment! You are 20% towards your goal! I encourage you to make your food diary public and record in it daily. 80% of this is accomplished in the kitchen.
    Let's do this!
  • allieNcorley
    allieNcorley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Allie. I'm 23, and have struggled with being overweight from my teen years until now. I wasn't an overweight kid, but something happened when I was a teenager and I've steadily gained weight since then, spiking to my heaviest weight after I got married 2 years ago. Currently, my goal is to lose 65 pounds, but will continue to push past that. I just want to be healthier than I am now, and hopefully convince my husband to join in with me. Started last monday, and although I haven't lost a ton of weight yet, I know it'll continue to come off, even if it's a slow process! I cut out all breads and rice, all drinks except for water, and I've been eating 6 tiny meals a day staying around 1000-1100 calories (but DEFINITELY getting full!) every day. Also drinking a gallon of water daily. Good luck to everyone!! :smiley:
  • dougfarrar1
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Allie. I'm 23, and have struggled with being overweight from my teen years until now. I wasn't an overweight kid, but something happened when I was a teenager and I've steadily gained weight since then, spiking to my heaviest weight after I got married 2 years ago. Currently, my goal is to lose 65 pounds, but will continue to push past that. I just want to be healthier than I am now, and hopefully convince my husband to join in with me. Started last monday, and although I haven't lost a ton of weight yet, I know it'll continue to come off, even if it's a slow process! I cut out all breads and rice, all drinks except for water, and I've been eating 6 tiny meals a day staying around 1000-1100 calories (but DEFINITELY getting full!) every day. Also drinking a gallon of water daily. Good luck to everyone!! :smiley:

Thats great! Water is such a help in eating less and feeling satisfied.
    When you say "something happened" was that an incident in your life or do you mean that something just changed around then?
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 200 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi. I'm Mike. I am 45 and in June 2014 I weighed over 400 pounds when I embarked on a health journey resulting in my losing over 200 pounds in 11 months. I have done a couple of motivational talks and written a bit on my tactics. In short, the journey begins in the mind. Most of us know what we need to do, it's learning the techniques to motivate yourself and stay dedicated to your goals. That is what I hope to teach people with my inspirational story. Check out my profile for more information and a website I started with some of my articles.

Good luck in your own journey and feel free to add me on MFP!
  • dougfarrar1
    Options
    Hi. I'm Mike. I am 45 and in June 2014 I weighed over 400 pounds when I embarked on a health journey resulting in my losing over 200 pounds in 11 months. I have done a couple of motivational talks and written a bit on my tactics. In short, the journey begins in the mind. Most of us know what we need to do, it's learning the techniques to motivate yourself and stay dedicated to your goals. That is what I hope to teach people with my inspirational story. Check out my profile for more information and a website I started with some of my articles.

Good luck in your own journey and feel free to add me on MFP!

Mike! You are amazing! I love this story. I have had success in all areas of my life and have always been a counselor to people and I only recently have applied this truth of the mind to my health. It is 100% true!
    Great advice, buddy. I will check out your site!
  • dkh2006
    dkh2006 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! My name is Diane, I am 45. I have struggled with my weight all my life. In 8th grade my dad was transferred to Texas and wanting to be accepted by my peers went on a crash diet, lost 60 lbs in 2 months and became anorexic. Now I struggle with controlling what I eat and have bloomed to 302 lbs as of my weigh in on 1/2/16. I believe I have finally become mentally ready to make a life long change to get healthy for my 8 year old grandson, 2 year old grandson and 2 1/2 month granddaughter. I want to go to the park with them and play without getting out of breath or possibly suffering a heart attack or anything else. I have been lucky to where I do not have high cholesterol, high blood pressure or any other health issue but if I do not take control now who knows what tomorrow may bring.
  • verdebug
    verdebug Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm new to MFP - I just started around Christmas - and I have been looking to join a group where people focus on positive, manageable changes to achieve their goals. Three years ago, I lost 57 pounds with Weight Watchers and I have maintained that loss to this day. However, I still would like to lose 10-15 more pounds and I know that a big part of that involves staying out of the candy dish at work. So that is my goal for the month of January.

I'm not discouraged that I've been "stuck" for the last three years because I know what I need to do to lose my last 15, and I just haven't done it. That's why I am trying MFP, to see if it gives me the jolt I need to achieve my goal. I firmly believe that "Just because I never have doesn't mean I can't!" So I am committing to making one change per month, and seeing what happens.

I am a strong believer in lifestyle changes, not diets. I love to cook, I love to be active, and I would love to have more MFP friends so please feel free to add me! :smiley:
  • angel388
    angel388 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Tina 43 year old from New Zealand. I got down to around the 270 middle of last year, then home/work n sickness got in the way. So started the new year at 300.8 lbs :(

My goals for Jan 2016 are:
    ♡ Water, Water and more Water
    ♡ MORE than 5/6 hours sleep
    ♡ Maintain 5,700 steps - I wana see green each day.
  • truckersgirl102411
    truckersgirl102411 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Amy. I'm 37. I have struggled with my weight since I was 11. I started my weight loss journey on January 25th 2015. I started out at 373. I have lost 91 pounds so far. I like to help and inspire others to get healthy. Feel free to add me. And for the people who are helping others, do you have a Web page or something?
  • missm2
    missm2 Posts: 608 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi I'm Celia.
    I've loss 29 lbs so far but still have 25 to go .
    Mother of 3 children 21, 14 and 10. Also full time primary teachers. .. teach 5/ 6 year old.
    Love working out at home and been on this journey for about 7 years. ..and have just realised that this is a lifetime journey ..lol
    Nice to meet you all
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Elaine, I am 63 and have been fed up with my weight for the last 30 years. I am a yo yo dieter. I am a member of weightwatchers and still struggle. I have 2 stones to lose. I try to eat less, move more etc. I have started walking in the evenings and I use my cross trainer once or twice during the day. I help to look after my 87 year old mum every day 3 - 4 hours inbetween carers dropping in and my sister each evening. I hope that I can teceive support, ideas etc from people on here to motivate me to lose this weight and become active. Best wishes everyone.
  • Hyliannprincess
    Hyliannprincess Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm Chynna. I'm 22. I had lost a bunch of weight and got in really good shape, but then got pregnant and gained all the weight back. My daughter is 1 and I'm 5 lbs away from my pre/pregnancy weight. I'd like to lose 20 lbs though. I'm also trying to live a healthier lifestyle overall so I can be a good example for my daughter .
  • Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Don aka Doc 53 y/old and walk around and act like a 70+ year old.
    Good health is in my genes so i have no excuse except being lazy and a glutton. I loved food so much i lost sight of the fact that it is killing me. I do not want to die from anything i could easily prevent, so I've decided enough is enough and I am going to change. I want to live like my father did a long healthy life filled with happiness. (he passed last year @ 93 and was only sick for about 2 months)
    I just found this site today but i started counting my calories on Jan 1 2016 I then weighed 268 pounds. I'm currently @ 243 but realized too much too fast is not healthy. 25 pounds in 3 weeks just from counting calories and 15 min exercise. Sun I started 15 morning and 15 at night now that I'm feeling much better and stronger. I am looking to develop a new normal for me not just a diet. If you say the word diet to me I instantly get hungry so I have happily discovered what I call the math process. I just count calories and calculate... it is working tremendously. (that's what led me to this site) My logic is as follows... need around 1500 calories a day so my body pays me 100 calories an hour based on an awake day of 15 hours.
    If I eat I spend those calories for example a bowl of oatmeal is 100 calories (plain) so that is good for 1 hour. Add a banana 110 more plus coffee 2 cups 2%milk 40 more cals so now I wouldn't eat for 2 and a half hours. See what I mean it is all math. So now i am doing intense study for healthy balance. Calculating the foods I like that are good and discarding the bad. This way no diet, no high protein or high carb. or fat burner plans that always failed me before. I just do the math and try to hit as near perfect balance as possible based on the foods i have available today. I do not count the exercise and that is where the burn comes in. My BMI is already down from morbidly obese to just obese but i am headed for 140. Thanks for your support and guidance!!!
  • nightowlT
    nightowlT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    HI my name is Tina and I have just started back on my weight loss journey. My goal is to lose 20 lbs and become fit and healthy again. I am determined to make it happen this time.
  • edh8423
    edh8423 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Take a second and tell us a little about yourself :)

Greetings.

I started a fitness transformation, which really is part of an overall transformation. I was laid off from my job on Nov 30th, saw it as an opportunity to pivot and get some education and at the time I thought "get into shape" as part of an overall transformation of myself and my life.

On Dec 14th, after hearing him talk 6-8 times on Joe Rogan's JRE Podcast, a good friend sent me a video link on YouTube of David Goggins. Something clicked. The next day I had this crazy idea "someday, however long it takes, I'm gonna run a marathon. I'm gonna become an athlete." I got his book, Can't Hurt Me. I've been calling David Goggins, my Jedi Master.

I just turned 46 on Jan 8th. I had a mild heart attack 4 years ago. Weird how the fear from that wasn't enough to get me to take real action. I was depressed and thought I was destined to die alone, estranged from my 3 brothers.

When this crazy idea about doing a 6 month boot camp to prepare to train for races--ultimately a marathon--took root, I went home for Christmas break for a week. I reconnected with my brothers. Now we're talking regularly. They are all are more supportive than I thought they would be.

Last week, the plan I laid out for myself wasn't doing what I wanted it to do, and I was overwhelmed by how little I knew about proper nutrition. My brother had mentioned this app, MyFitnessPal. Then I learned my phone and heart rate monitor are compatible with Endomondo.

In just two days, I really am starting to get a grip on what I'm doing and finding better ways to record my progress and stats and goals and plans.

I don't blame anyone for thinking me crazy to be so confident, cause I've tried and failed to get into shape more than 10 times in my life. But those who know me best are telling me they can feel and see it's gonna happen this time.

That's how I got here. I'm going through a transformation. I know I'm on this journey alone, really. So I don't really "need" anything from anyone. But if there truly are folks further along, or like me "an absolute beginner" as Endomondo put it, I'd love to find new friends who are passionate about creating the next best version of one's best self... so this could be a nice group for me to be a part of.

Sorry for the length--I type 95 WPM so this doesn't take me long. Just like to put my truth out there and see what happens.

Ed H.