Frustrated and starting over again

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mjbrowne wrote: »
    oh NO!! So sorry, Sunny Bunny! Praying she is smiling and on her way home soon!!! And that that you don't assault a Dr. :)

Thank you! Right now the morphine is her best friend!
    A little interesting detail about this visit compared to every previous time she's had DKA. All the past times, her potassium would be dangerously low and it would take 3 days on IV potassium, which burns terribly, to get back into range. Since I've learned so much about electrolytes over the last 8 months, I told her to drink salted water while she was trying to get her blood sugar under control all day today and now, they said its really low but not that bad and she can just take pill supplements this time. She's very happy about that!
    So far, I haven't met anyone that I want to murder either, so that's definitely good!

:( I hope she is well again soon... And you avoid the murder rap.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ScrappyKat wrote: »
    The IV potassium does hurt horrendously. It felt like someone was trying to rip my arm off, so they had to dilute it for me and drip it in really slowly. I'm glad she can just take the pill supplements this time.

I don't know what is going on at this end, after my reasonable levels this morning, I checked my levels a little while ago (a couple of hours after my breakfast of eggs) and I've hit 15 again. Argh! I'll check again in a little while, I was so sure they would have dropped some more.

Did you end up changing your Lantus to the morning? I was wondering if that might make it higher upon waking.
  • ScrappyKat
    ScrappyKat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm setting an alarm for 4am to take it and get it working. This morning when I got up at 7:30 it was down to 7.7. Now to keep it down there.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    You might ask your doctor about Tresiba too. My daughter was switched to it from Levemir because her endo said its longer acting and releases differently so that it tends to provide better control. My daughter does seem to think it's better than the Levemir was.
  • ScrappyKat
    Options
    I might have to go and try having a bullet proof hot choc for breakfast (I don't drink coffee, can't even stomach the smell of it). Eggs for some reason are pushing up my bsl's unacceptably. I had a 7.7 this morning and after breakfast a 10.3. Before I got sick, my levels would have dropped not gone up on a breakfast of eggs. Argh!
  • ScrappyKat
    Options
    I've had a win today. Apart from my bsl reading at 4am, no readings over 8 and my post lunch was a 4.9. Lunch was some salami and happy cow wedges. It wasn't a big lunch but it filled me up. Of course my body is doing the shakey shake thinking it's having a hypo, but it just needs to get used to proper bsl's again. I did put myself back on my tablets again that I was on before ending up in hospital, it's the only way until I get keto adapted.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    ScrappyKat wrote: »
    I've had a win today. Apart from my bsl reading at 4am, no readings over 8 and my post lunch was a 4.9. Lunch was some salami and happy cow wedges. It wasn't a big lunch but it filled me up. Of course my body is doing the shakey shake thinking it's having a hypo, but it just needs to get used to proper bsl's again. I did put myself back on my tablets again that I was on before ending up in hospital, it's the only way until I get keto adapted.

You're working so hard! Great job! It will pay off big time for you! So happy to hear about the lower numbers!
  • ScrappyKat
    Options
    I have to admit I did put myself back on the medication that my gp stopped while I was in hospital because she thought it may have caused the ketoacidocis. I could see that it would be the only way to get my levels down to where they need to be. I set my alarm for my 4am insulin, but with a 5.2 saw that it wasn't necessary today. Phew. It was nice to roll over and go back to sleep.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yay! Making strides a little at a time!