Substitutions that work and substitutions that don't

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I must be the odd one out, I think zoodles are ok but not great.
    But I looooove spaghetti squash!
    Cauli rice - amazing!
    Shirataki noodles - most disgusting food I've ever tried
    Ricotta pancakes- yummy
    Spaghetti squash is awesome. I forgot about that, as I don't consider it a sub.
    Shirataki noodles are ok.... the tofu ones are fine, but the yam ones are kinda stinky. I don't eat them much.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Love shiratake noodles as a substitute for the rice noodles in pad thai. I don't know about as a substitute for wheat flour pasta, since the consistency is so different - but I'll probably try them.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is awesome. I forgot about that, as I don't consider it a sub.
    [/quote]

Yes, you are so right ! I don't consider these foods to be substitutions at all ! They are so much part of my family's regular meal repertoire and we love them so much that we don't feel that we are missing out on anything by not eating wheat products, or potatoes or other starchy, sugary foods. ( Those starchy foods are recognized as sugar (carbs) in the body, so I have a tendency to label them all as sugary....grains, fruit, starchy plants.)

The thought of eating those foods that I used to eat, like wheat products of any kind, turns me off so much that the foods I now eat, like spaghetti squash, cauliflower, cabbage, zucchini, etc are much more desirable to me. They are delicious, and do not upset my tummy like the other foods now do.

Or I skip the vegetable or nut based "substitution" vehicle completely and just eat the main event meal without the side.
  • Mongo5918
    Mongo5918 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just had some Low-Carb (Pork Rinds) Pancakes for dinner. Pancakes from pork rinds sound crazy but they are really good. The taste and texture to me is more like french toast but they are really satisfying. Recipe at: http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisplay.asp?recipeid=1175
    The best pork rinds I have found are the Utz Pork Rinds in the 18 oz jugs at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001YJ2VOO?refRID=Q6E6RHG3PA4HMDQTKTBR&ref_=pd_bia_nav_t_1
    I have found lots of uses for them and they are great by themselves.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have made a keto-substitute gnocchi that is just as good if not better than the real thing. It uses mozzarella cheese (preferably the pre-grated quite dry kind - this usually has a bit of flour in it, but not too much to make it unusable carb wise, though obviously this is not good for gluten free folk), garlic powder and egg yolk. http://theprimitivepalate.com/2015/01/25/keto-garlic-gnocchi/ You do NOT need to boil them, just fry them in the pan and they come out quite light and fluffy and lovely.

Now I can't make it as my husband is on FODMAP so the garlic powder is out and I can't find a definitive source on whether mozzarella is ok on FODMAP :o(
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mongo5918 wrote: »
    I just had some Low-Carb (Pork Rinds) Pancakes for dinner. Pancakes from pork rinds sound crazy but they are really good. The taste and texture to me is more like french toast but they are really satisfying. Recipe at: http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisplay.asp?recipeid=1175
    The best pork rinds I have found are the Utz Pork Rinds in the 18 oz jugs at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001YJ2VOO?refRID=Q6E6RHG3PA4HMDQTKTBR&ref_=pd_bia_nav_t_1
    I have found lots of uses for them and they are great by themselves.

Pork rind pancakes? That just sounds so wrong!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Have you tried cauliflower tots?

I haven't. I am gonna try tho spaghetti squash hash browns soon tho.

Hmmm, do you have a way to 'hash' or cut the squash? For folks up thread talking about soggy cauli recipes like pizza crust I had to experiment with the tots and moisture. Cualiflower holds quite a bit of water so when you are prepping your crust for cauliflower pizza is there a point where you can tamp or remove some of the water being retained by the plant? For the cauliflower tots I found tamping them worked a little and one recipe called for placing the mixture in a cake tin and cover with saran wrap to let sit or 'set-up' for about 2 hours in a freezer. This allows the mix to be easier to cut into tot sized bites. They bind the cheese together better since the water molecules are now tighter after being in the freezer. IDK they turn out better from a consistency view.

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Try the "Fat Head Pizza Crust" or the one from Ruled.me. They are very similar and delicious. Not nearly as labor intensive as the cauliflower crust and, I think, much better. My husband even loves this crust and he's from an Italian family.

spaghetti squash: yummy. Having it tonite with beef/sausage meatballs.
  • lukesydaisy
    lukesydaisy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed spiralizing squash, zucchini, and cucumber in salad, but I didn't really enjoy cooked zoodles, as spaghetti. I did, however, use my ribbon cut blade to make zucchini pasta for lasagna, and it worked beautifully. I just made a regular lasagna for everyone else, and a small zoodle lasagna for my husband and me. It was a wonderful substitute, in my opinion.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My beef enchiladas with collard leaf wrapper worked well. They were easier to stuff and roll than the corn tortillas! However, I would agree that they should be blanched first to make them easier to cut with a fork while eating. I only soaked them in lime juice water for a couple hours. They tasted good though!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    My favorite substitution is the Fat Head pizza crust. It is so good that my husband asks for it sometimes more than once a week and he can eat real pizza.

I also like spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti. Zoodles are good too. I usually use them in stir-fry dishes. I have a twice baked cauliflower casserole I like to make that tastes a lot like potatoes. I have made the cauliflower fried rice and liked it ok.
  • BalmyD
    edited January 2016
    Options
    We had the cream cheese plus egg pancakes again yesterday. I'm not finding them hard to make or flip at all, but I'm using a non-stick frying pan with lots of butter. They are wayyyy easier to flip than those durned banana plus egg pancakes. I am also adding a tsp of vanilla and a pinch of salt to the egg and cream cheese mixture. I'm so excited about these I'm going to try the egg plus cream cheese noodles sometime soon as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    BalmyD wrote: »
    My beef enchiladas with collard leaf wrapper worked well. They were easier to stuff and roll than the corn tortillas! However, I would agree that they should be blanched first to make them easier to cut with a fork while eating. I only soaked them in lime juice water for a couple hours. They tasted good though!
    Glad they were yummy! I'd love the enchilada recipe.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Love shiratake noodles as a substitute for the rice noodles in pad thai. I don't know about as a substitute for wheat flour pasta, since the consistency is so different - but I'll probably try them.

This is about it for me too.
  • BalmyD
    Options
    Glad they were yummy! I'd love the enchilada recipe.

Thanks!

I didn't really use a recipe. I had about 2 lbs of beef roast left from a previous crock pot meal. I removed it from the crock pot, shredded it, and added three chopped jalapenos and one medium/small chopped yellow onion and put back in the crockpot with some of the beef juice on low til warm.

I soaked the collard greens in lime juice water for a couple hours (in the future I would recommend blanching instead or in addition).

I used hot red old el paso enchilada sauce, but you may be able to find something lower carb. I put about a third of the can into the bottom of a glass baking dish. Then I rolled the enchiladas with the beef mixture, a little bit of cream cheese, and a little bit of shredded cheddar. When all the enchiladas were rolled (I used one collard leaf each leaving one end open), then I poured the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top and baked at 350F for 40 minutes. Then I pulled it out and put more cheddar over the top and baked another 10 minutes.

My husband did say that he missed the counterpoint taste of the corn tortilla (he compared them side by side with corn tortilla enchiladas made the same way). So I think if you aren't going extreme low carb, you could cut the corn tortillas in strips and include a strip rolled up in each collard leaf with the rest of the filling.

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Now I can't make it as my husband is on FODMAP so the garlic powder is out and I can't find a definitive source on whether mozzarella is ok on FODMAP :o(

Can you do a test like a reintro after something like Whole30?

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk does NOT work as a coffee creamer. Blech. But Reddi-Whip does with the bonus that you don't have to add sweetener. lol.

There is a "loaded potato" recipe with cauliflower that is fantastic. I'm not wild about cauliflower but I love this and have served it to other people who don't like cauliflower and they liked it too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Almond Milk does NOT work as a coffee creamer. Blech. But Reddi-Whip does with the bonus that you don't have to add sweetener. lol.

There is a "loaded potato" recipe with cauliflower that is fantastic. I'm not wild about cauliflower but I love this and have served it to other people who don't like cauliflower and they liked it too.

I have used almond milk in coffee before when I really wanted some and didn't want to spend the carbs on HWC. It's not great... Seems watered down. But I liked it better than just black coffee. It is good however, if you make it an iced coffee and do like a half almond milk to coffee ratio, add a little vanilla, that's good stuff.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of iced coffee. I just drink a couple of cups hot in the morning, and can't stomach black.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @esaucier17, noodles are zucchini made into noodles with a potato peeler, or a kitchen gadget that's made for the purpose, and use in place of noodles. I've never tried them.

Oh ok Thanks. I have made them and didn't know they were called that!
    I love spaghetti squash the most for pasta replacements. But also as a side dish with butter and parm...yummy.
    And I also think the shirataki noodles are so gross...yuck. Odd texture and taste IMO.