Slow going with weight loss

Options
I just joined today and looking for help. I have been active working out almost daily with fitness blender videos and treadmill wearing my Fitbit to reach the minimum 10,000 daily steps and I just can't loose the pounds. I have cut out sweets and only drink wine on the weekends and eat in moderation ,What more can I do?

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would first spend a couple of weeks meticulously logging your calorie intake to make sure you are doing accurately. Most likely, if the loss isn't there, then you are consuming more calories than you think. Exercise is great and will certainly burn some calories, my experience so far though has been that diet is 90% of the equation. Also keep in mind that the scale is not the only measure of your fitness. If you are exercising more than you have in the past, you will have more muscle and less fat, which improves your shape.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    I would first spend a couple of weeks meticulously logging your calorie intake to make sure you are doing accurately. Most likely, if the loss isn't there, then you are consuming more calories than you think. Exercise is great and will certainly burn some calories, my experience so far though has been that diet is 90% of the equation. Also keep in mind that the scale is not the only measure of your fitness. If you are exercising more than you have in the past, you will have more muscle and less fat, which improves your shape.

All of the above plus if you're exercising more you will have some extra water weight for muscle repair.

The most important thing, at this point, is to weigh and measure all of your food and log it into MFP. Eating healthy isn't necessarily a prescription to lose weight but Calories in vs Calories out is!!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard
    It can be dishearting when u are working hard & your not seeing the results. But like my colleagues have said. Be truly honest with your calories. I have just bought a book called lean & clean diet & it's helped me to see that weight loss is like Bill said 90% diet & 10% exercise. Write everything down.
    Keep at it. U will eventually see results.
    Keep us posted x
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wintertime is also hard because we spend lots more time indoors and around food.

My aha moment was the piece of cookie, the "little handful" of potato chips, few crackers, little bite of leftovers in the fridge, bite of this/that, etc. which added up to hundreds of calories.

The thing that helped me most initially was peppermints. When I needed a little something, I'd eat a peppermint. Also, I'd put the wrappers back in my pocket. At the end of the day, I'd count the number of wrappers (each mint is about 15 calories). Better the 15 calories then the 150-calorie "little handful" of potato chips.
  • kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think these folks have got it figured out.

I am learning that the diet is the most important; all the hard work happens in the kitchen.

The key is finding a plan that you can live with ALL the time. Don't hold out until the weekend to give yourself a reward (wine, cookie, cocktail) this can very often set you up to go overboard on the reward, which in turn undoes all of that hard work. Just make sure that what you consume fits into your calorie goal, and that you accurately record everything.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Slower is better.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My mom was saying that she was frustrated with her weight loss recently because her knee had been bothering her. I reminded her that losing weight was about CICO (Calories In < Calories Out) and she could still lose weight even if she was not working out as much. I heard the Duh! from 3000 miles away.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I think we all go through valleys. All we can do is persevere
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If I don't move much, I'm not hungry.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can do this! :)