Telling the family about keto...

Options
kimbo8435
kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
I've been doing Keto for 10 days now and I'm noticing big things. My hubster is doing a version of it alongside me and even my son has noticed that I have more energy. But this weekend I'll be seeing my parents... My father is a retired dietician so he knows all about the keto diet. But how to tell him. How have you all broken the news to family who may or may not be so supportive of the idea? What have your experiences been with family and peers?

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Have met lots of resistance from family (who are all morbidly obese) with regard to the high fat portion of keto. The fat phobia is real and until our physicians start telling their patients it's okay to eat it, it's not going to change (we have a serious problem with the God complex and people believing everything their doctors say!)! I've let my results speak for themselves now, and don't worry about the rest!
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am 6 months in and haven't. They know I'm grain free and low carb, they do not know I'm high fat. Some people I've said "I don't need to watch the fat", but no need to start the arguements with the others yet. I had planned to initially, but then my Dad's reaction to low carb was "good, carbs will kill you, are you still eating dairy? You'll eventually need to cut that too, the fat is horrible for you". He has a very aggressive personality, I wasn't going to go there at the time. I'll wait until I'm closer to my goal weight.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The "Fat Phobia" has been ingrained into the thinking of so many people, heck, I was one of them! Until our doctors educate themselves and begin telling their patients the truth about fat, the fear is going to remain! I understand not wanting to create tension with discussions over food! Just do your thing, and KCKO!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If I decide I want to explain myself, I just tell them my endocrinologist ordered this to deal with my multiple medical conditions. Most of them have seen me lose several inches already in my abdominal area and drop 3 sizes last year (from afar anyway), so they don't really question it. I just tell them I'm working towards a more balanced approach since my body does not process carbs/grains/sugars like a normal person. Considering my grandfather died from complications of diabetes, and my mom is also adult onset, and I've been at over 320 pounds and have gotten down to the 250's over the last 5+ years, they just don't ask. I'd let them assume I'm Celiac or allergic or diabetic. Whatever makes them get over their hesitation.

Most of the times, just telling them than my endocrinologist has ordered this diet (not ordered, IRL, but suggested it) and is monitoring my all my blood work (true), they usually leave it alone. I kind of let the "high fat" part sit by the wayside unless someone notices or asks specifically.

My PCP had been at me for years to drop my carbs to improve my cholesterol...so obviously the science is out there...somewhere. LOL
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    Had a super pleasant conversation with both my parents about keto yesterday at breakfast. Dad had all sorts of wonderful suggestions (he's apparently studied the therapeutic ketogenic diet quite a bit). He even looked over my MFP log with me! Mom said she can see the difference in how I carry myself, that I'm not in pain so she said she's 100% behind keto and me. I didn't give my parents enough credit. It was a good reminder that they are open-minded and caring. I love my family!
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is really terrific! So happy for you.!I'm so used to hearing / reading about family members who react negatively, who don't understand Keto, or worse, try to sabotage the efforts of the person doing Keto, that this was nice to read!
  • lyndsey221512
    lyndsey221512 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is really awesome they responded in that way. It always amazes me that when I was a cheeseburger away from 300 lbs no one said ANYTHING but when you are on a structured plan to lose weight then opinions come out.
  • ncprice1
    ncprice1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My family was more concerned about the initial expense. Almond flour, coconut products, cream, oil, cheeses, butter, meat - it adds up when you're first starting. Every so often I'll be asked, "When are you going to start eating normal again?" Spaghetti night was an event in my house and they miss it. I'll need to figure that one out.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Can't you just skip the noodles or replace them with spaghetti squash or some other alternative for yourself?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    Had a super pleasant conversation with both my parents about keto yesterday at breakfast. Dad had all sorts of wonderful suggestions (he's apparently studied the therapeutic ketogenic diet quite a bit). He even looked over my MFP log with me! Mom said she can see the difference in how I carry myself, that I'm not in pain so she said she's 100% behind keto and me. I didn't give my parents enough credit. It was a good reminder that they are open-minded and caring. I love my family!

That's great!
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do make pasta for my 18 year old son and spagetti squash "noodles" for hubby and I. Pizza on the other hand has been replaced with a big disk of hamburger dressed with tons of veggie pizza toppings and cheese. My son had no issues with that!I had been gluten free for years and so was used to cooking two alternatives. LC is new.
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ncprice1 wrote: »
    Every so often I'll be asked, "When are you going to start eating normal again?" Spaghetti night was an event in my house and they miss it. I'll need to figure that one out.

Sigh. This IS the new normal. I've decided that when its time to broach the subject with my family I'll tell them I recently learned I have a problem with insulin and carbs. (Which we ALL do but I won't go there with them...yet) and as such I've reordered my WOE to work with my body so i feel better and don't get diabetes.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I dont say anything until someone asks. I went to brunch today and no-one asked why i declined the tortilla chips or fried potatoes. Most of the time people wont even notice. If offered sweets I just say perhaps later and move on. Really its no-ones business what I choose to pit in my mouth (ahem...food wise). They all ask once they see the weight fall off and then I say Im on the butter and steak diet and watch their little brains explode.
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    Update: my dad now wants to team up with my neurologist to write a case study on keto and dystonia! He's a bit biased with me being his kiddo and all, but his scientific curiosity has been triggered. Can't wait to see if it becomes a reality! I'll keep y'all posted.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I just don't talk about it lol. My sister is a body builder and does competitions, etc. so she knows what I'm up to but her diet is just as unusual so she doesn't really get to pass judgement. I don't tell my parents. They are not very open minded.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    Update: my dad now wants to team up with my neurologist to write a case study on keto and dystonia! He's a bit biased with me being his kiddo and all, but his scientific curiosity has been triggered. Can't wait to see if it becomes a reality! I'll keep y'all posted.

Me too! When you say dystonia, I know a woman who has cervical dystonia. It causes the muscles in her neck to constantly be contracted on one side stretching and pulling the muscles on the other. It's awful and she's been told there is no cure.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My mom is surprisingly supportive. She does disagree with me on some of my food choices. Such as not eating fruits and honey and homemade granola... She firmly believes these are "good for you" foods.

My sister in law, on the other hand, is super unsupportive. "But your BRAIN needs carbs to function. Carbs give you energy!!" I give up explaining.
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My sister in law, on the other hand, is super unsupportive. "But your BRAIN needs carbs to function. Carbs give you energy!!" I give up explaining.

Your sister has been brainwashed by the American food industry. It's not her fault. It's quite a hurdle to change your thinking from fat is bad to fat is good. AND that stupid food pyramid telling us the majority of our food should be whole grains. It gives me stomach discomfort just thinking about that! Maybe you can share Sara Hallberg's Ted Talk with her. Google it if you haven't seen it. Short and VERY informative.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    @carsonheim I just watched it. Concise and easy to understand. It's scary and sad how the government can manipulate the population in order to profit from the sick. So sad.