Low Carb Sweetness

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Remember that combining different sweeteners amplifies the taste, because each hits different notes. I will only use SweetLeaf brand Stevia, as it is the only one that doesn't have an insulin reaction for me. Once in a blue moon I will mix a tiny bit of splenda in (I prefer the liquid as it has no carbs - there are carbs in the packets due to creating the powder)... To explain the amplification factor, my best friend was using 8 splenda in her morning coffee. After deciding to mix the two, she's down to one packet of each splenda and SweetLeaf... and says she's cutting down, because it is almost too sweet.

So for me, it's more about the hidden carbs in the dextrose or maltodextrin used to powdering the forms - and avoiding liquids with "natural flavors" as those can easily cause almost instant migraines.... I'd rather have the sweet taste "not quite right" than have a huge insulin reaction...
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Stevia, because I already know I don't like Splenda or Sweet and Low. I find all 3 of those repulsive to be honest. So, with that being said, the only sweet I'm getting is if I decide and can fit in a piece of fruit. I'm really fond of granny smith apples. :)
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't use sweetners much - if its just a quick shot of sweetness in coffee or tea, I use SweetLeaf stevia drops but often find it isn't worth the effort. For baking I keep the Swerve brand of erythritol - I find the powdered version great for sweetening whipping cream.

DJ Foodie has a six parter on sweetners that starts here: djfoodie.com/Blog/2014/03/03/The-Sweet-Spot--Everything-I-know-about-Sweeteners
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Another sweetener that is hardly EVER mentioned, but my absolute favorite (taste-wise) is Monk Fruit. They have it at Walmart and other large grocery stores.

If you get that sweetener, you'll throw away all the others....

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan - hey coupons.com has a coupon for that right now, if you're into couponing. I think it was for $1 off. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Another sweetener that is hardly EVER mentioned, but my absolute favorite (taste-wise) is Monk Fruit. They have it at Walmart and other large grocery stores.

So it doesn't taste like Stevia?
  • DittoDan
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I hate Stevia. I bought a whole bunch and now I don't know what to do with it.... argh!

Monk fruit is wonderful.

Dan
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I found that the different brands/type of stevia taste completely different. I like Truvia in my coffee and stevia drops in my iced tea. I'm using Swerve in my baking.
  • lithezebra
    edited January 2016
    Options

I hate Stevia. I bought a whole bunch and now I don't know what to do with it.... argh!

Monk fruit is wonderful.

Dan

Perfect! I hate Stevia too. Is there a brand of monk fruit that you recommend, @DittoDan ?
  • taptap25
    taptap25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    splenda is all I use. dont like the aftertaste of others
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Hi low carbers! How do you feel about the taste of various low carb sweeteners? Has anyone had great success with them?

I've tried stevia, which I hated, Splenda which is okay, not great, but not horrible, and I have erythritol on the way in the mail. I'd like to be able to sweeten my whipped cream and make some low carb chocolates. I don't care about the calories, just the carbs.

They all have an aftertaste, but it's part of the deal when you forego sugar I guess. I like Splenda the best taste wise, distilled stevia the best nutrition wise, and Truvia doesn't taste bad, even tho it's not as pure. I have a hard time trusting any of them to tell you the truth, but... It's that or sugar and sugar is off the menu!
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

I'll have to def try that. I've never seen it, but not really looked.
  • KeoniD
    KeoniD Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I use stevia or splenda. Our go to dessert is "milkshakes": Ice, 8 ounces HWC, 8 ounces unsweetened almond milk, cocoa powder, sugar free choc. syrup, a little stevia. Blend. Or instead of chocolate we have made them with vanilla extract or Mio flavoring.

HWC? Heavy Whipping Cream? Handle with Care? Heavyweight Champion? Hazardous Waste Coordinator? I'm hoping its the cream one.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KeoniD wrote: »
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I use stevia or splenda. Our go to dessert is "milkshakes": Ice, 8 ounces HWC, 8 ounces unsweetened almond milk, cocoa powder, sugar free choc. syrup, a little stevia. Blend. Or instead of chocolate we have made them with vanilla extract or Mio flavoring.

HWC? Heavy Whipping Cream? Handle with Care? Heavyweight Champion? Hazardous Waste Coordinator? I'm hoping its the cream one.

lol. Yep heavy whipping cream.
    Where's @DittoDan with his handy dandy definitions blog link? :smile:
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you're having fruit with cream try some cinnamon instead. Teissiere are doing a sugar free addition for coffee in a couple of flavours, available in Waitrose (UK), similar little bottle to the Robinson squashed
  • DittoDan
    Options

Monk fruit is wonderful.

Dan

Perfect! I hate Stevia too. Is there a brand of monk fruit that you recommend, @DittoDan ?

Its Monkfruit in the Raw

3r8gtvzlysj0.png

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Xylitol is about the only one I like. The only problem us it doesn't dissolve te way sugar does so can be a bit crunchy

I haven't tried Xylitol but I have heard it's the best as far as "healthy" I am going to buy some soon.
    I like both Stevia in the Raw and Splenda.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Monk fruit is wonderful.

Dan

I saw monk fruit the other day at the health food store but didn't know anything about it.
    Hmmm...might try it. I kept thinking it might taste like an actual piece of fruit :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I never got around to buying Xylitol but now after reading that it is toxic to dogs, I won't be buying it. He gets people food sometimes and I am not there every minute to tell people they can't feed him this or that.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    Xylitol is about the only one I like. The only problem us it doesn't dissolve te way sugar does so can be a bit crunchy

I haven't tried Xylitol but I have heard it's the best as far as "healthy" I am going to buy some soon.
    I like both Stevia in the Raw and Splenda.

Erythritol has no calories and is a lot less likely to cause you the gastric distress that larger than moderate amounts of xylitol can cause. That said, I mix erythritol, xylitol and inulin, and that is tasty. Erythritol doesn't dissolve well if you use enough of it to sweeten something like a cheesecake all by itself.