The price of food has gone crazy!

Options
I went to the grocery store yesterday to pick up a few things. Mostly veggies and fruit, and I had a craving for sweet mixed pickles. I went to grab a celery, $4.49!!! I don't even like celery, but I needed it for a recipe. So, I went to Farm boy, thinking it would be cheaper, $3.99!!!!
I know it's the off season for veggies, but come on, nearly $5.00 for celery.
So, now I have this damn celery in my fridge. Other than celery and dip, or celery and peanut butter, any suggestions? I use it for stuffing, maybe soup,but that's about it.

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Walmart has pre-cut snack packs of celery.
    Small pack = small price.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I never even thought of Walmart.
    Next time. Thanx for the tip.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Celery is really good as a filler in stir fry. Cut it at and angle and don't cook it too long so it stays crunchy.
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Not crazy about it in a stir fry. I'll chomp on it with some dip later. Maybe peanut butter.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I cut up celery and put it in meatloaf, soups, and stews. Many recipes call for it with onions, peppers, etc. I will also cut it up and put in salads, even tuna salad, chicken salad, and pasta salad as it adds a nice crunch.
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I paid $2.50 each for green bell peppers this week. :( But I really enjoy them and since getting enough veggies is something I struggle with I guess I'm stuck with it.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    They say the flooding has made vegetables hard to get. I know I looked at a cauliflower not much bigger than my fist this morning $4. Still better than the $8 they were at christmas. I got a deal at walmart this morning on reduced veggies. They are importing most of their veggies from Spain. With the Canadian loonie down it costs a lot more to import them. I'm not paying $4 for a head of lettuce. Keep the leaves and ends of the celery for soups and stews by freezing them. Not much going into the compost bin with the crazy prices.
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    I saw a cauliflower yesterday for 6.99. I checked my freezer this morning. Because I tend to buy lots of stuff when it's on sale, this month all I have to buy is fresh milk and bread. I'm going to take my sister's advice and buy a couple of bags of frozen veggies. I knew that hoarding tendency would pay off.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am in Ontario and I saw cauliflower for $1.99 today!! Have to watch the sales...and adjust menu accordingly to suit what is on sale! :)
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    I am in Ontario and I saw cauliflower for $1.99 today!! Have to watch the sales...and adjust menu accordingly to suit what is on sale! :)

Yes Jane, I'm in Ottawaa. I picked up extra and will blanch and freeze some. And have some fresh today. I really watch the sales this month, I have some extra expenses this month with a wedding and birthdays.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    They are importing from Spain now so we are seeing prices coming down. I think you are seeing lower prices in the east then I am on the west coast.
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    That kinda explains it.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »

Yes Jane, I'm in Ottawaa. I picked up extra and will blanch and freeze some. And have some fresh today. I really watch the sales this month, I have some extra expenses this month with a wedding and birthdays.
    I am in Ottawa too!! In Barrhaven!

• judyvalentine512
    Options
    I'm on Prince of Wales Drive, near Hog's back. I was in Kars, but I moved in July.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    I'm on Prince of Wales Drive, near Hog's back. I was in Kars, but I moved in July.
    Long ago I lived in Osgoode!! Small world!! My kids went to school at Kars Middle school. Now they are 38 and 40 lol!!!

• judyvalentine512
    Options
    Small world indeed. I grew up in Gatineau, and my kids still live there. Osgoode is a nice area to live too.