Question about net carbs

Options
Hey all, I'm fairly new to all of this ketosis or ketogenic. I have read a lot of different news outlets online and there is still one thing I'm not 100% sure on.
So I know that low carb diet can mean different things to people and in order to reach ketosis the carb intake can vary person to person. I have seen some articles refer to net carbs and only address or count carbs from sugar and not fiber. So my main question was, when doing this ketosis diet, are we counting overall carbs and also, just to get an idea how many carbs is your personal goal?
Thank you for reading! I hope someone can clarify this for me.

Replies

• SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I just count full carbs and don't worry about the net. What I understand is you negative out the fibre grams to get the net. I've found its just one more thing to monitor and don't want that. I aim for 25 grams net in theory but track my goal for the full carbs at 30g so it's simple on MFP. Many days I'm was under though. I found once I'm Keto adapted I can have up to 45g before I'm kicked out of Ketosis. If I only blow out for 1 day, I'm back in Ketosis within 48 hours.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Typically, net carbs is considered to be total carbs minus fibers, and sometimes sugar alcohols, because both are supposed to not affect blood sugars.

This is not always true. Also, in the UK and other places in Europe, the fiber grams are typically already subtracted, so if you do this in that locale, you could actually be consuming far more than you think.

Sugar alcohols typically are recommended to count half the carbs, depending on which type, as many affect blood sugars symptomatically, rather than directly.

That all being said, my carb goals can be flexible if I'm eating more non-starchy veggies. I can eat 20+ carbs of broccoli, and it doesn't affect me as much as 5 grams of sugar or grains... So I do not generally subtract sugar alcohols.

Generally I am for something like 25 grams of NET CARBS, with a TOTAL CARBS grams range of 40 grams. For me, that allows the fluctuations that go with eating veggie carbs, etc., but it also keeps me from getting stupid on sugar alcohols or faux foods, etc.

As @SuesNewImage said, for some folks, just sticking with Total is easier, so as not to have to adjust, etc. Mostly, the best thing is to pick one system (total or net w/ or w/o alcohols) and stick with that, adjusting as necessary to maintain nutritional ketosis... So it's a very personal choice - whatever works best for you!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I stick to 20gm carbs a day, or less, total. I don't eat many foods that have fiber in them (veggies once, maybe twice a week), so I just stick with the easy math! It comes down to what works for you, and sticking with it!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I keep to 20-30 grams of net carbs per day (sometimes less). It seems to be working for me!
  • thinsified
    thinsified Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! This really helps actually. I've been really confused about that distinction and almost afraid to eat things like broccoli because I was under the misconception that all carbs are "shun" even the protein carbs in vegetables.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    thinsified wrote: »
    Thanks all! This really helps actually. I've been really confused about that distinction and almost afraid to eat things like broccoli because I was under the misconception that all carbs are "shun" even the protein carbs in vegetables.

I eat broccoli, asparagus, and green beans quite often... If I go over on my carb numbers because of non-starchy veggies, I do not worry about it... Period. But that's not saying I can eat 2 cups of broccoli after I ate a full 86% chocolate bar.... If all my carbs are good/within reason, and I go over a bit, trial and error has shown me that broccoli isn't going to throw me out of ketosis, whereas a strawberry or a bite of bread or a chip might...
  • Mom2Birds
    Mom2Birds Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Right...I am not going to worry if I go over my 30 g carb limit for the day by a few as long as I have been getting the carbs for the day through the vegetables. I am not going to let myself go over because of sweets or fruits etc. I tend to stay between 20-25 anyway :)
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs as I find otherwise I don't get enough veggies in, and then I'm well below on my fibre... which can cause 'problems' if ya get me! :lol: I subtract the fibre from the carbs and am aiming for under 30g net per day, which usually translates to around 50g total. I'm lower than this quite a lot though :) Good luck!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    UMDavies wrote: »
    I count net carbs as I find otherwise I don't get enough veggies in, and then I'm well below on my fibre... which can cause 'problems' if ya get me! :lol: I subtract the fibre from the carbs and am aiming for under 30g net per day, which usually translates to around 50g total. I'm lower than this quite a lot though :) Good luck!

Fat replaces fiber for moving things along in this process. Fiber can actually stop up the works. Fats is a natural lubricant for this process. Fiber works by creating a lubricant by irritating the lining of the colon and such to move things along. Consider cutting back on the fiber, adding more fats, and giving the system to work out properly...

Some folks due still have problems due to a lifetime of eating improperly, but most of us can return to the more natural state of using fats to this purpose.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Net carbs is a bit bogus, because only insoluble fiber should be subtracted. Soluble fiber is in fact digested, so it does count. :)