What FOOD is your go-to alternative when you feel you are about to binge eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• rollinskae
    rollinskae Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a hot cup of coffee - with about a tablespoon of my favorite creamer - to satisfy hunger or a sweet craving or both. It's very low calorie and works like a charm! If it's close to bedtime, I brew an herbal tea and put in a few drops of stevia.
  • ladycclear
    ladycclear Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. Homemade. The sound. The smell. The feel. The crunch.

I heat coconut oil, insert nonGMO kernels, heat and shake shake shake then season--cayenne or cinnamon, salt or cumin or garlic. The whole exercise of making popcorn helps calm me. Watching it so it doesn't burn. Popcorn is good for my emotional eating. I'm connected with popcorn.

I'm looking for more support in mfp, so please message or add me. I've got a ways to go before I am totally healed.
  • Katerihall25
    Katerihall25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    dannon greej yogurt is mine. super healthy ans tastes great. protein power snack all the way.
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Carrots and hummus.
  • HG93022
    HG93022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm having this issue right now. Sigh. I am chewing gum, but it is the last piece I have here at work. Hopefully once it loses its flavor I will be over the false need to eat more!
  • sqhsmith
    sqhsmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A hot cup of bouillon is really helpful to me. I crave salty things when I am stressed. I thought it was a crunchy thing, but it's really the salt.
  • Onestep211
    Onestep211 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "As someone who has a severe issue with over eating, binge eating, and any other unhealthy relationships with food, I am not ALWAYS going to be strong enough to chose water or gum when I'm having that craving. With that being said, I try to prepackage some of my craved foods like peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets, or special k cracker chips. this way i get to satisfy that need for something yummy, but the option to over eat is not there. "

Me too. I love the idea of portioning out the binge foods. One of my problem foods is Oreos... So instead of buyingn them, I get the chocolate decadence biscotti- the biscotti aren't so great that I will eat the whole box, but one of them will satisfy that cookie craving.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke. Celery. Cucumber with lemon and salt. Baby Carrots. Fresh Broccoli. Eat about a hundred calories worth and your hunger will be gone. Do NOT eat sugar, potato chips, or any other junk that will stimulate your appetite and make you eat more.
  • Karlotta50
    Karlotta50 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ladycclear wrote: »
    Popcorn. Homemade. The sound. The smell. The feel. The crunch.

I heat coconut oil, insert nonGMO kernels, heat and shake shake shake then season--cayenne or cinnamon, salt or cumin or garlic. The whole exercise of making popcorn helps calm me. Watching it so it doesn't burn. Popcorn is good for my emotional eating. I'm connected with popcorn.

I'm looking for more support in mfp, so please message or add me. I've got a ways to go before I am totally healed.
    I love the popcorn idea cooked at home. I usually get the 100 cal bags.
  • dietdiva323
    dietdiva323 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Salty craving- Kettle corn popcorn. I go for the Orville Redenbaucher where the bag turns into a bowl you can eat the popcorn from. It's quick to make. Takes a while to finish. Only about 100 calories for the bag. I use iced coffee with a little artificial sweetener when I'm craving sweets.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hot tea, in a fun flavor.
  • daisycow20
    daisycow20 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tea with splenda. 0 cal but makes me feel like I'm putting something sweet and filling in my tummy. I like honey lemon green tea...mmm :)
  • daisycow20
    daisycow20 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Plus usually when I'm feeling hungry but I've eaten enough calories, I find that I was actually thirsty instead once I drink something.
  • queenscorpio73
    queenscorpio73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots. Grab a handful and go. Of its really bad, I can't go into the kitchen without grazing on bad stuff. Someone's I have to psyche myself out before going into the kitchen.
  • LaurenMAP
    LaurenMAP Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving something sweet, I love fudgsicle fudge pops. They feel like a treat, but only 60 calories. I make sure to eat it slowly, which is easy to do because it's so cold.

For salty/crunchy, popcorn is great, like others have said.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Tea with stevia and almond milk is a safe choice for me. 2nd choice is 25 g of almond nuts.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Decaf tea with milk, garlic pickles, frozen raspberries.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    Water with lemon slices or a banana