Tell me about your home gym

Options
rlw911
rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
I'v always thought I'd like to work out at home, but wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it work. I've really become disenchanted with my gym and I've been seriously considering turning my son's old bedroom into my workout space. I was afraid my DH would balk at the idea, but he seems to be on board.
So, what kind of equipment do you have? What do you wish you had and why? How big is your space? And, anything else you can think of and want to share. :)

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I have:
    a squat rack (this one: http://amzn.com/B005PNJHTW)
    bench
    a barbell
    275# of bumper plates
    5-35# dumbbells
    resistance bands
    a kettlebell
    a slam ball
    a 60# sandbag
    an "over the door frame" pull-up bar
    storage racks for the dumbbells and bumper plates

For cardio, I run or walk outdoors.

I have everything set up in about 1/4 of my 2 car garage.

I'm looking to add:
    heavier dumbbells (eventually)
    boxes for box jumps
    one of those barbell pad things to make hip thrusts easier on my pelvic bone
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

That is so ridiculously affordable!!!

I desperately wish I had a garage.. >_>
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    I'm looking to add:
    boxes for box jumps

Do you have a yoga mat? I saw a girl using one yesterday at the gym and thought it a pretty neat idea.
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I'm looking to add:
    boxes for box jumps

Do you have a yoga mat? I saw a girl using one yesterday at the gym and thought it a pretty neat idea.

I do. I've tried that, but it doesn't stay on my bar well enough. I've also tried rolled up towels, but when the bar starts moving they unravel and I'm left with the bar on my hip bones, haha!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have a squat cage, olympic bar and plates, a set of dumbbells (the plates I have are from 2.5lb to 45lb, the dumbbells I think go up to 35 or 45lb, can't recall), a big ball, a bench, a treadmill and some mats. In the ridiculous weather I hit the treadmill, when it's nice I either walk, run or bike outdoors. It's all set up in the basement with a TV mounted on the wall in front of the treadmill. I'm thinking about moving my rack, but that'll take some effort...so it's gonna chill where it's at for a while.
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I love my at home gym which is a really big partial basement finished room. Half of it has an elliptical and TV and toys for little one.

The other side of it which is basically about 8X8 is set up for lifting weights.

I bought all of the following just over a month ago:

Same pack rack as xcalryl: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PNJHTW/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
    2 Heavy duty matts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UAFH3A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
    Bench: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8U7WV4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
    Econo Pulley for lats: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FAH072?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
    Plates: two 25's, four 10's, four 5's, four 2.5's, fractional washers
    Plate Stand: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015EPLF22/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pd_te_s_gc_im/178-9431055-1725931
    Rogue 2.0 barbell for women: http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-womens-25mm-training-bar?a_aid=527973956e9ea&a_bid=5176f2fa

Other odds an ends such chalk ball and attachments for my pulley. I also have motivating images on the wall. A mini trampoline which I use to warm up since I get straight out of bed and lift. I've only been doing the lifting for a month now. But a part of me already wish I had invested in an even more roboust power rack. It does the job just fine but as I expand with the pulley, I can see a more sturdy rack really supporting that. But love my at home gym. I literally get out of bed, throw on sweats, grab a glass of water and I'm done. No hygiene till I'm done because I'm at home and it does matter what the heck I wear.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I quit my gym last fall and converted a small bedroom into my weight room. I bought a used (great condition) power cage, bench, Olympic bar & weights for $300 on Craigslist. I bought some cheap Dumbbells for Olympic weights (2.5, 5, 10, 25 & 45) & an EZ bar, some bands, yoga mat, a bar pad for hip thrusters, 2 Kettlebells. My husband got a step bench and I use the platforms to rest the barbell on for hip thrusters.I got some IKEA mirrors for the walls & painted. . Because my room is only 8.75'x 9.75' my more vertical power cage works better for me. It has safeties. My house is on a concrete slab but the room is carpeted. I didn't have to worry about the added weight of all that equipment.
    I need some fractional weights-STAT!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I need some fractional weights-STAT!

I purchased 8 of these for about $22. https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/33038
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I use this for a pad, not sure if this is what you are referring to:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11562658&ab=TopNav_Exercise_StrengthTraining_WeightBarsCollars&cp=4413986.12598195&categoryId=4417765

I need to get those fractional weights.....
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    @DDHFree what does the Eco-pulley attach to? I need something like that....
  • rlw911
    Options
    Thanks for the input and link sharing, ladies! I'm compiling my list of needs and wants and stalking Craigslist. :smile:

@xcalygrl that looks like a decent rack for $199, even with shipping. I spent most of the day yesterday looking at plans for DIY power/squat racks. For that price, I might could save myself the trouble.

@Sumiblue thanks for mentioning the mirrors! I have a large mirror that came off a closet door, conveniently already in the room I want to use. I was trying to figure out how to get rid of it and now I definitely won't! My room is about the same size as yours, maybe a tiny bit bigger, so now I know it's possible. My DH keeps saying he thinks its too small.

I have a treadmill and a TRX suspension trainer already. It's gonna be nice having everything all together in one room. Oh, and I have some fractional weights. :smiley:

• DDHFree
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    @DDHFree what does the Eco-pulley attach to? I need something like that....

I put an old barbell across the top of my power rack and attach it to the bar. Most YouTube videos that I see attaches it to a power rack.
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    So far it's been a great rack @cruisin_scrapper! It's rated for 600 pounds, which is awesome. Yesterday, I failed my squats at 210#. The safeties caught it with no problem and held it for a bit while before I unloaded the bar.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a rack, bench, barbell, plates, Dumbbells from 10-70 lbs.

Mirrors are essential. We also have a fan in the ceiling for ventilation which helps. If you can buy horse mats for the floor which are cheaper than commercialy gym rubber matting, or something similar for when you drop barbells...if noise is an issue or you need to protect the flooring.

For hip thrusts I bought a squat sponge off amazon and it's amazing.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I have a bench with oly barbell and about 300+lbs of plates, the powerblock adjustable dumbbells up to 70#/ea, a pullup bar, and some resistance bands.

I would like to get a squat rack or power rack, some sort of pulley system (if not included in the rack I get), and the foam pad for thrusts.
  • rlw911
    Options
    So far it's been a great rack @cruisin_scrapper! It's rated for 600 pounds, which is awesome. Yesterday, I failed my squats at 210#. The safeties caught it with no problem and held it for a bit while before I unloaded the bar.

That's good to know. I'll be home alone most every time I lift.
    andylllI wrote: »
    Mirrors are essential. We also have a fan in the ceiling for ventilation which helps. If you can buy horse mats for the floor which are cheaper than commercialy gym rubber matting, or something similar for when you drop barbells...if noise is an issue or you need to protect the flooring.

I can't believe I even thought about how I was gonna get rid of the huge mirror I have! Duh. Thanks for the tip about the horse mats. Several years ago, we had a leak around the foundation in the room I'm gonna use. My son was a teenager at the time, so I ripped up the carpeting and replaced it with a piece of thin commercial carpeting, until I could decide what kind of flooring I wanted. Now, I guess it'll be horse mats!

I'm looking forward to hip thrusts again! I did Strong Curves for awhile and I usually did it in the classroom area of my gym. Now we have a new manager and that room stays locked. I go to 24 hr fitness, and it's usually pretty busy. A couple of months ago, they closed the next closest location to us, and a lot of those people came to our location. Add in the fact that we got some of their old equipment, and now we have zero floor space. The 3 squat racks we have are constantly full. It's not making a trip to the gym very fun or satisfying.

• rlw911
    Options
    Another question - what size & weight oly bars do you have?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a mirror unless you want to take some gym selfies. It can throw off form.
  • rlw911
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend a mirror unless you want to take some gym selfies. It can throw off form.

Thanks, Tree. Something to think about. I don't normally take gym selfies. Unless you count my profile pic. :smile: