Ketosis and calorie help

Options
I'm not sure yet because I haven't bought any ketosis strips .. But I think I am there already because my appetite and hunger levels have gone down significantly ... Even when I want to eat at times I'm just not hungry. This means I'm not eating enough calories apparently according to MFP . Does this sound like ketosis and is it a bad thing if I don't eat as many calories as I'm "suppose to" ?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    We'd need me details to know if this effect is from the excess ketones. How long have you been lc, how many carbs are you eating daily, do you exercise, etc.

But yes, low appetite does happen when low carb. It's likely you will have days where you are more hungry than others, on those days you should eat till satiety with lc foods. The calories will tend to balance out and many believe when eating low carb your body knows best and to follow those cues. If you are consistently under eating that will need to be addressed as it can cause other health issues along the line.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Ditto @auntstephie321 .
    I definitely have hungry days and not-as-hungry days (though I didn't really have the latter til I had been following keto for at least a month) but it all balances out.
  • greenleopard94
    greenleopard94 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We'd need me details to know if this effect is from the excess ketones. How long have you been lc, how many carbs are you eating daily, do you exercise, etc.

But yes, low appetite does happen when low carb. It's likely you will have days where you are more hungry than others, on those days you should eat till satiety with lc foods. The calories will tend to balance out and many believe when eating low carb your body knows best and to follow those cues. If you are consistently under eating that will need to be addressed as it can cause other health issues along the line.

I have only been low carb for about 3 weeks now maybe a little less. I started by eating between 50-75 grams of carbs and now I've went down to 20-25 grams a day. I do not exercise much right now . Some days I do and some days I don't .

• auntstephie321
    Options
    Ok so at that level you are definitely in ketosis, keep your sodium high. You will have lots of days at this point of not being hungry, but many of us get really hungry after that passes. It takes time to become fat adapted, keep your carbs low and your electrolytes in balance, listen to your hunger cues and watch your fat and protein to make sure you aren't low on either.
  • greenleopard94
    Options
    Ok so at that level you are definitely in ketosis, keep your sodium high. You will have lots of days at this point of not being hungry, but many of us get really hungry after that passes. It takes time to become fat adapted, keep your carbs low and your electrolytes in balance, listen to your hunger cues and watch your fat and protein to make sure you aren't low on either.

How high should I keep my fat and protein levels? And also to keep my electrolytes in balance how can I do that? I'm not all that Keto savvy since I barely started out..
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the keto calculator that's linked in the launch pad? that will help with figuring out your macros.
  • greenleopard94
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Have you seen the keto calculator that's linked in the launch pad? that will help with figuring out your macros.

Thank you(:
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yes the keto calculator will help you figure out your macros. It's recommended to get at least 5g of sodium a day, if you do that you should be fine. Many of us supplement magnesium and potassium as well. Most are low in magnesium regardless of what diet they're on so I take that even when I'm not keto (currently I'm low carb, under 100g a day)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

How high should I keep my fat and protein levels? And also to keep my electrolytes in balance how can I do that? I'm not all that Keto savvy since I barely started out..

Sodium sodium sodium.
    You need quite a lot, especially in the beginning. If you keep sodium up, you won't lose so much magnesium and potassium. Supplementing magnesium is a good idea for anyone, no matter how they eat since our veggies are not as nutrient rich as they should be due to depleted souls. (Yes, autocorrect, I totally meant souls and not soils :wink: )
  • auntstephie321
    edited January 2016
    Options
    [/quote]Sodium sodium sodium.
    You need quite a lot, especially in the beginning. If you keep sodium up, you won't lose so much magnesium and potassium. Supplementing magnesium is a good idea for anyone, no matter how they eat since our veggies are not as nutrient rich as they should be due to depleted souls. (Yes, autocorrect, I totally meant souls and not soils :wink: )[/quote]

Lol hey, ya never know
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just started additional supplements. I was already taking multi vitamin and biotin. I added magnesium, potassium and a fish oil. I felt better almost immediately after adding sea salt into my beef broth last night.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    MerryOne00 wrote: »
    I just started additional supplements. I was already taking multi vitamin and biotin. I added magnesium, potassium and a fish oil. I felt better almost immediately after adding sea salt into my beef broth last night.

That's great news! Salt is really the primary need.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That's great!