2016 MFP CLASSICS CHALLENGE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
msajq0ch1mle.jpg

This year, in an attempt to revitalise this challenge a little, there are a few changes that I'd like to try and implement... First of all, I think that we should expand the challenge to take in a few more of the one-day "semi-classics" and long established races.

So, with that, here's a few Dates for the Diary... These dates are possibly subject to change, but are as per the "Classics List" on www.steephill.tv.

Cycling Classics 2016:

Trofeo-Laigueglia - Sunday Feb 14
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad - Saturday Feb 27
Kuurne-Brussels-Kurne - Sunday Feb 28
Le Samyn - Wednesday Mar 2
Strade Bianche - Saturday Mar 5
Milan-San Remo - Saturday Mar 19
Dwars door Vlaanderen - Wednesday Mar 23
E3 - Harelbeke - Friday Mar 25
Gent-Wevelgem - Sunday Mar 27
Ronde van Vlaanderen - Sunday Apr 3

Scheldeprijs - Wednesday Apr 6
Paris-Roubaix - Sunday Apr 10
De Brabantse Pijl - Wednesday Apr 13
Amstel Gold Apr - Sunday 17
Flèche Wallonne - Wednesday Apr 20
Liège-Bastogne-Liege - Sunday Apr 24

Break for Giro d'Italia Grand Tour Challenge - May 6 - May 21
Break continues for Tour de France Grand Toru Challenge - Jul 2- Jul 24

San Sebastian - Saturday Jul 30

Break for La Vuelta Espana Grand Tour Challenge - Aug 20 - Sep 11

** GP Ouest France ???
** GP Cycliste Québec Sep 9
** GP Cycliste Montreal Sep 11

Milano-Torino - Wednesday Sep 28
Il Lombardia - Saturday Oct 1
Paris-Tours - Sunday Oct 9

** Note - the three races marked are at this moment not scheduled for inclusion in the challenge - the 2 Canadian races, because of clashing with the closing week of the Vuelta Challenge, and teh GP Ouest France because i'm not sure WHAT the date will be at the moment. IF it doesn't clash with any of the Grand Tours then it will be slotted in as appropriate.

The more observant of you will have spotted that some of the races are in bold. These races are the ones that were in the Classics challenge last year, and are IMO the "true" classics. As such, they will be attracting a slightly higher points tarrif than the other "semi-classics"

Last year we had quite a few people comment that it was a shame that they had an event on the Saturday, and therefore wouldn't be adding anything to the Sunday where the race was being run. So, at the risk of making lots of extra work and hassle for myself in waiting around for the rides to get booked in, what I'm proposing is this...

For any of the races on a Weekend, you are allowed to book A SINGLE STRAVA LOGGED RIDE, from either the Saturday OR the Sunday. This of course doesn't apply for the Omloop/KBK weekend, as there is a race on Saturday and Sunday. As per last year, anyone who has entered any of the "pre-classic sportif rides" that are based around these classics (and generally are run in the couple of days prior to the actual race-day, over the same route on closed roads) gets to enter their ride from the sportif, provided photographic proof of competing in the sportif is added to the thread.
Off the top of my head, I think that this year the Paris-Roubaix and RVV both have sportives run the day before the race, though I'm happy to expand this to any other races that also have a pre-event sportif. (L'Eroica doesn't count, as it's at the other end of the summer to the Strade Bianche BTW ;) )

For any of the Mid-Week Races, the ride has to be on the specific day of the race.

As to points scoring, again there's a small tweak, Book a single ride (if you commute take the long way home and book that one), recorded on Strava.

For the "True" classics, the BOLD ones in the list, points are awarded for the first 15 finishers as per last year...

Longest distance gets 25 points, next 20, then 16,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,and 1. Spot prizes / bonuses also awarded - these are announced before the event, and are usually either picture bonuses (get a point for a picture of a windmill or cobbles say on paris-roubaix day, or say a roadside chapel on Il Lombardia day.)

For the "Minor" classics, they will attract a lower points tarrif (and points only for the first 10 finishers)

Longest distance gets 20 points, next 16, then 12,10,8,6,4,3,2,and 1. Spot prizes / bonuses will not generally be awarded for these races.

Replies

• TheBigYin
    Options
    so... Anyone fancy a go ??

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yep stick my name down, hopefully I'll have a better one this year.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    In as always! :-)
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    All in.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,462 Member
    Options
    It looks like I won't be able to do anything before at least the end of March. We are getting El Nino'ed to death with rain and flooding. So all of my rides until the rainy season ends are on my turbo trainer. I upload my data from my Wahoo phone app to Strava, but alas, no outdoor rides. It look like I will miss most of the Monuments. Will be doing the Giro though.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sign me up.
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Is it outdoor rides uploaded to Strava only?
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Style for miles. I'm in.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    steffenson wrote: »
    Is it outdoor rides uploaded to Strava only?

Absolutely - no "virtual rides" allowed - it's all about getting outside with the rain in your hair and the mud in your teeth.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    It looks like I won't be able to do anything before at least the end of March. We are getting El Nino'ed to death with rain and flooding. So all of my rides until the rainy season ends are on my turbo trainer. I upload my data from my Wahoo phone app to Strava, but alas, no outdoor rides. It look like I will miss most of the Monuments. Will be doing the Giro though.

There's plenty of rides at the back end of March, through to October - most of the "real" classics, the higher scoring ones, are in this period, so I wouldn't dismiss it - Plus - there's no rigorous "Sign Up, and participate in every Race on the Calendar" - even the pro's pick and choose the races that suit them. I know I'm not going to be on full ahead mode in the early rides - getting a ride in at all is going to be highly weather dependent for me - if it's poor weather, I may well have a whole string of 10km long rides around the local country park in the mud on my MTB...
    Won't matter - the real object of this challenge is to try and get out and ride even if the weather's saying "maybe tomorrow instead"
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    Yep stick my name down, hopefully I'll have a better one this year.
    In as always! :-)
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    All in.
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Sign me up.
    Style for miles. I'm in.

well - that makes 6 of us so far... if it cut's off here, we're all guaranteed between 6 and 10 points per ride - plus any photo-bonuses ;)
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Goes without saying... I'm in! May miss the 14th Feb though; missus informs me I'm taking her away for the weekend [Grumble]
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Naturally i'm in :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    Goes without saying... I'm in! May miss the 14th Feb though; missus informs me I'm taking her away for the weekend [Grumble]
    jillyian wrote: »
    I'm in
    Dave2041 wrote: »

:woot: that's 9... :worried: 2 more and I'll be out of the points...

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Dave2041 wrote: »

Can I add a caveat that everyone gets the WC bonus points apart from Dave because he's ahead of me?

:)
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    just like Flynn...

Love the 1 booked ride on a weekend to count, great innovation!
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sign me up too.
    I also might be doing little 10km rides until the end of March but this looks like fun.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    just like Flynn...

Love the 1 booked ride on a weekend to count, great innovation!

partly driven by the number of people saying "oh, i'd have entered, but I just can't ride on Sundays, it's "family day" (whatever that is... rule #11) and, I must admit, partly because I really, REALLY want to join in this year, and if I've saturday and sunday to get out, I've twice the chance of actually getting weather where I CAN actually ride...

It depressed the hell out of me last year to be running this challenge (my undisputed favourite of all the ones I organise) and to barely participate in it...

• TheBigYin
    Options
    steffenson wrote: »
    Sign me up too.
    I also might be doing little 10km rides until the end of March but this looks like fun.

just let me know if you're on a 10K and I can try and do 11... I'm going to need every point I can get!