40+ runners

Options
iruninva
iruninva Posts: 99 Member
I turned 40 last year and am currently training for a half marathon in March. Who else in the 40+ category runs?

Replies

• cheloldroyd
    cheloldroyd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I started running last year with the C25k app. Can run 5k quite happily now. Ran my first 10k in November and hoping to do a few more. Myself and my Husband are looking at doing a 20k in the future
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40. I run, or at least if you see me from real far away, at night, while squinting, you might say to yourself "he looks like he's running...I think" I am also in VA, though do a large portion of my running in DC
  • VABMFP
    VABMFP Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am an avid runner and recently certified RRCA adult distance running coach. I've been out of running the last 18 months because of injuries and surgeries, but I'm hoping to be back this spring/summer. I'll probably stay away for from the marathons and ultras from now on, but I hope to do some halfs in my future. I'm in the Va Beach area and thinking of starting a group coaching program to get new runners out there for the half marathons.
  • Dead_Mans_Party
    Dead_Mans_Party Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Pushing 42 and am a runner. Primarily 5K's, obstacle runs, duos and tris. Nothing long distance as of yet. Funny story last year when I started running. Feared my ageing knees would prevent much running. Surprised to say my knees haven't felt better. Been running for over a year now and have had little to no knee issues.
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and only started running about 3.5 years ago. I did my first half marathon last April at the age of 40. And I'm here to tell you, if I can do it ANYONE can! :)
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and have been running for 6 years. Ran lots of 5-K's and a half marathon in November. Got a 10-K this weekend.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have been running for about 2 1/2 years, although I was out for a while when I was pregnant with my youngest. Last year I ran the Ukrop's 10K in March and the half in November. This year, I'm planning to do the 10K again and the half in November as well as the Pink Power Triathlon in August.
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    42 and just finished the Disney Dopey challenge so guess you could call me a runner.
  • JenDetermined
    JenDetermined Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have been running for about 5 years this spring. It took me 8+ months to go from couch to 5k. I barely made it. Now I run 15k distances and am looking toward running as far as a half. That is my max as I have been very injury prone and it is enough to make me happy that I do that much!
  • francineb4
    francineb4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have been running for 28 years. .competed in college but dont go for speed anymore. I get injured more now.just finished anyway where Ingram a half marathon a month for a year..highly recommend if you live somewhere where there are a lot of races
  • sharunza
    sharunza Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 42f and have been running since my late 20s.
  • GinaSpartan
    GinaSpartan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are all so inpirational!! I was that kid in high school gym class who could barely complete our long-distance runs...and around my 40th picked it up and ran 2x 5kms and 2 x 10km runs...I then stopped for a few years...not sure why...but I've slowly picked it up again (I'm 49 this year).

My running goals: 10Km on mother's day (and hope to be a bit faster than my 90 mins from previous years lol), a half-marathon in October this year and...okay I will publicly declare my ultimate goal [accountability!!]...the original Athens Marathon (hopefully next year when I turn 50...but within the next couple of years).

Would love to hear from those who've trained for half-marathons and/or...completed the Athens Marathon.
  • BluGnat
    BluGnat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and have been running off and on (mostly off) since I was in middle school. I grew up with marathon runners as parents (they still run). In about 2009-ish, I decided I wanted to stick with it, instead of continually stopping and re-starting. The older I get, the harder it is to pick up where I left off, so the solution is to not quit. I did my first half in October of 2014 (Moab - used Hal Higdon's novice program), and am signed up for my first full (Revel) this summer (using Hal Higdon's novice/beginner 2 training plan for that one). I also LOVE bike riding, and do the MS150 bike ride every June. I've found my running takes a back seat to the riding the last three summers, which I'm going to focus on preventing this year (hence signing up for the full). I love running, it's a gift to be able to do it. I'm thankful for every healthy, uninjured mile. I do also love the riding, and that's my backup plan should I ever be unable to run.
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    This is my fourth year running this Spring and I'm 47. I am not fast runner but I will be training for my second half marathon which will be in September. Since I am nearing the 50 mark, I am focusing on strength training to help in my running and hopefully avoid injury. :)
  • bartdorman
    bartdorman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just turned 42 and started running a few months ago. Have not competed yet but a marathon is on my bucket list. I find that with each week that passes my cardio and stamina improves more than I expect. I no longer have any doubts that if I keep training a marathon is attainable.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    46 here and have been running for over 20 years. I've ran many races and prefer half marathons and 10 mile races if I can find them. Currently training for a half marathon and a 10 miler.
  • Mama_cc
    Mama_cc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Howdy, y'all...47 here and injured my IT band last year in a half marathon- finished, but oh my, how I felt that one. Fighting to get back and run another event this spring. Did long physical therapy stint and now instead of just running, I do reformer Pilates and gym training to diversify. Boo to injuries! Yay for the stubborn 40 somethings that just won't quit!
    I need running buddies to kick my butt! Add me here or I'm also on Garmin Connect.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi; I'm 47 and have been running for 4 years. Did my first 2 halfs last June and promptly jumped off the run wagon. I'm back on now, training for a 10 miler in April, a half in June, and a full in September. Add me...I could use some running buddies :)
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have run off and on for the last 5 years. I like to get out, but it has been hard as life seems to get in the way. Right now, I can't run because of plantar fasciitis which makes it hard to walk let alone run. I will get back into it after it heals, but that might take awhile.
  • pamelanne1
    pamelanne1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will be 46 next week I never thought I would ever run but I did complete the couch to 5K program last spring and completed my first 5k in October (walking/running). I am currently training again. My husband and I are planning on signing up for a 5K each month starting in May.