Zero Carb Discussion

Options
milandy1969
milandy1969 Posts: 12 Member
I try to eat as close as possible to zero carbs every day. I makes me lose weight quickly and it definitely makes eating decisions much easier. I've found I don't really need anything from the plant world other than a dash here and there for flavoring. I have to admit, I'm not amazing at sticking to zero carb, but I certainly try to stay below 20 grams if possible.

Anyone interested in learning more about the Zero Carb way of eating?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yeh - I was down to 7 at one point, but it was not only difficult to maintain, but I really didn't see much in the way of any weight loss improvements once I got lower than 35 grams.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm fairly similar. I feel better when I try to stay as close to zero as I can. I learned this during the "meativore may" challenge last year. I also have to avoid dairy (except butter) and artificial sweetener. So for me it's just meat, eggs, fat and the occasional leaf only salad. Some vinegar here and there. And pickles. Have to be careful there. I love pickles. But they're a treat here and there. I have found though that if I LOVE something, it's likely going to be a trigger and prevent weight loss and/or lead me down a slippery slope.

I love the simplicity of it too. Relatively few decisions and I don't mind eating the same thing for days on end. Cooking is super easy. I also don't really count anything.

How long have you been experimenting with zero carb?

Have you had any issues with electrolyte problems? I'm finding that a bit tricky to manage.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Definitely have a look through the archives (the "all discussions" link at the bottom of the list). There are a number of conversations on it, especially in April through about June of last year.

@FIT_Goat do you think we could get a carnivore primer up in one of the resources? I'm a bit busy right now and don't know when I'll be able to get to it.
  • milandy1969
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @gsp90x I gave up all sweeteners about a year ago. Artificial sweeteners kept me hooked on expecting food to be sweet. Moderation has never been my strong suit -- I was pounding six diet ginger ale per day. Now I drink nothing but unsweetened coffee, tea, club soda, dry wine and spirits. (Probably two much of the last two.)

I do eat hot sauce, soy sauce, mustard and other low carb condiments. No salads and definitely no veggies. Again, I try to keep it two zero. Twenty grams or less for sure. As for protein -- I grill a lot and eat one big meal per day, plus maybe a snack.

Ideally, of course. This weekend I messed up and ate nachos late night. I let myself get too hungry and I had a buzz on, so the will was weak.

@Dragonwolf I sued the search but didn't find anything specific like a discussion on Zero Carb. I may not have gone back far enough. I definitely don't want to rehash stuff that has already been discussed.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    @gsp90x I gave up all sweeteners about a year ago. Artificial sweeteners kept me hooked on expecting food to be sweet. Moderation has never been my strong suit -- I was pounding six diet ginger ale per day. Now I drink nothing but unsweetened coffee, tea, club soda, dry wine and spirits. (Probably two much of the last two.)

I do eat hot sauce, soy sauce, mustard and other low carb condiments. No salads and definitely no veggies. Again, I try to keep it two zero. Twenty grams or less for sure. As for protein -- I grill a lot and eat one big meal per day, plus maybe a snack.

Ideally, of course. This weekend I messed up and ate nachos late night. I let myself get too hungry and I had a buzz on, so the will was weak.

@Dragonwolf I sued the search but didn't find anything specific like a discussion on Zero Carb. I may not have gone back far enough. I definitely don't want to rehash stuff that has already been discussed.

It sure would be nice if we could actually search the old threads.
    What I end up doing is Ctrl+F and typing that in, and searching each page until I find what I want or give up.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    We recently had a vote, and the group overwhelming voted to make this forum unsearchable. Go figure. :)

OP, I peeked at your profile, and I'm interested in your 12% BF goal. How's that going? I'm stuck at around 20%.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    http://zerocarbzen.com/resources/
    http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/zerocarb

Just dropping a few zero-carb resources.

Any others? I know there are.
  • milandy1969
    Options
    @wabmester Thanks for posting the resources!

I think I may have to revise my goal. I think my old scale was blowing sunshine up my butt. It said I was like 19%. My new scale says 28% -- so 12% is going to take a while unless something drastic happens.

I'll throw up my blog for good measure. I need to write an update -- it's a little stale.
    http://zerocarbjournal.com/

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If you look at the meativore May challenge last year (in May, :wink: ) you can find somewhere me zero carb info. This challenge converted some of us (read ME) to the zero carb life! Will try to find you a link, since I know how to do that now, lol!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf I think I could throw together a carnivore primer sometime this week. I could start on it tonight.

@milandy1969 most of the previous discussions won't specifically say "zero carb" as we've got a variety of terms. We did a "meativore May" challenge (mostly because I enjoy alliteration). Carnivore comes up frequently. Some also go and call it plant-free, zero-carb, etc. Almost every single time fiber comes up, there will be a side conversation from us fiberless folks who exist without any at all.

Don't worry about rehashing things here and covering old ground. Everything is new to someone. And, the lack of good search support means that only the most recent stuff being talked about is easy to find. It is nice in the respect that the topics we see most are the ones people want to talk about at that time.

As for myself, I am over 18 months now, I think. I don't really keep track. It's been a while. I tend to be more extreme than most people on the carnivore path (actually argued with the nurse at my work today that spinach was basically poison, lol). Always nice to run into others. I try not to talk too much about my eating, because I don't want those with higher carb goals to think they're not welcome here.

As for carb goals, I don't actually have one. I don't worry about carbs from animal products (eggs, cheese, seafood, organ meats), but typically exist well below 5g total (usually below 1g total... if any at all). I have been using heavy cream in my coffee most mornings lately, so probably around 1g.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10156293/meativore-may-may-8-check-in#latest

Here is the second week thread. You may find the others by looking around! Best of luck!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Feel free to comment or add things to the carnivore thread. Same goes for everyone eating this way. I will incorporate them into the main post. Not everyone does this my way.
  • milandy1969
    Options
    @FIT_Goat Thank you for posting it! I will comment there.