Macros: grams or percentage?

Options
Hi! So I got in a LOT more activity than usual, thanks to the 18" of snow that needed to be relocated. I went to log my food, and bam! Macros automatically adjusted to account for extra energy spent. I went from 40g to the 60g being "acceptable@ as far as MFP is concerned.

So... Do I listen to the mass (grams) or do I listen to the percentage/ratio? Thanks.

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 30 net a day so if I work out and get extra calories I keep carbs steady and increase protein and fat. Usually fat.
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    ^ Same. Know what your grams are before you add in exercise and keep the carbs under your goal. I hate how it adds in all these "extra" things you can eat. I've learned that I just don't add in my exercise on here so it doesn't readjust for me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    For me carbs are a hard goal. Protein is too.
    If I need more calories for whatever reason (hunger would be my only reason) it would come from fats
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    ...I hate how it adds in all these "extra" things you can eat. I've learned that I just don't add in my exercise on here so it doesn't readjust for me.

I log all my exercise as burning "1" calorie, for the best of both worlds.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I eat back about half of my exercise calories, but I didn't include them when calculating my TDEE, since it varies somewhat from week to week. With carbs I try to stay under 20-30 net so if I do increase carbs on a day I exercise a lot, I still try to stay under that goal but maybe more the upper end of that range.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I wait until after dinner to add in exercise. Mfp consistently over rates calories per hour burned. If i eat any of those I would consume at most 60% of what mfp claims I burned in exercise. I mentally keep carb fixed at 20g net then eat more fat n a little protein if hungry. Similar to others above.