Can you eat too much fats or protein when in ketosis?

Options
Not sure if I accidentally kicked myself out of ketosis but before yesterday I wasn't feeling hungry often at all, felt great and energetic , but yesterday I got reeeeally hungy and ate so much cheese and it ended up really high in protein and fats but was still between 20g-25g of carbs. I guess my question is , if you eat too much protein or fats can you kick yourself out of ketosis ?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Too much fat won't. Burning fat is what produces ketones.
    Too much protein can but how much depends on your insulin sensitivity. If you are IR, diabetic or have PCOS too much protein can be an issue and end up creating glucose that you're trythe bg to prevent.
    But if you don't have those issues then you would have to an aweful lot of protein before it would prevent ketosis.
    Not every day is going to be as low appetite, but, things that often trigger hunger are artificial sweeteners, sweet tasting things of pretty much any kind and it's a good idea to start your day right off the bat with a good amount of fat. That's why so many of us drink Keto coffee (bulletproof) in the morning. It zaps hunger and sets you on the right path for having control all day.
  • greenleopard94
    greenleopard94 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Too much fat won't. Burning fat is what produces ketones.
    Too much protein can but how much depends on your insulin sensitivity. If you are IR, diabetic or have PCOS too much protein can be an issue and end up creating glucose that you're trythe bg to prevent.
    But if you don't have those issues then you would have to an aweful lot of protein before it would prevent ketosis.
    Not every day is going to be as low appetite, but, things that often trigger hunger are artificial sweeteners, sweet tasting things of pretty much any kind and it's a good idea to start your day right off the bat with a good amount of fat. That's why so many of us drink Keto coffee (bulletproof) in the morning. It zaps hunger and sets you on the right path for having control all day.
    Thank you ! I appreciate that answer now I can calm down lol!! I always worry because I don't want a yoyo affect .
  • sitzenhuser
    sitzenhuser Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you stay 4oz of cheese and under per day! Basically the amount of two string cheese
  • jgwriternyc
    jgwriternyc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What about Fat Free cheese?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Why bother? lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Just make sure you stay 4oz of cheese and under per day! Basically the amount of two string cheese

I only limit cheese to prevent constipation. If it doesn't bother you, you can have however much you want.
  • SiouxFallsMan
    SiouxFallsMan Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I have never read this before in any of my research on keto. Wonder where you got this information from?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I have never read this before in any of my research on keto. Wonder where you got this information from?

Atkins guidelines, most likely.

That's not cheese, it's cheese product. It also goes against pretty much everything low carb stands for.