Over exercise and not eating enough?

Options

Hi everyone,

I have been a FitnessPal member on and off over the past few years. I have never reached out for assistance though so here I am. I am at a standstill with this annoying body now, and need a boost, but cannot figure out what's up.  I'm 33, have 2 kids (16 months and 4 1/2 years old), and am a crazy exercise fanatic.  I eat pretty well but sometimes wonder if I don't eat enough to compensate for my exercising so I'm seeking some feedback. My metabolism seems to have taken a crap. 

Here is a rundown of my weekly exercise routine:

2 days a week:  4 mile run (7 mph), 16 minute HIIT workout (burpees/mountain climbers/kettle bell swings 90 seconds each, 3 rounds); 45-50 minutes of lifting heavy at the Y (RDLs, lat pull downs, bench pressing, squats, etc.).

2 days a week:  10 mile run (7 mph)--10 minutes of dumbell work only (biceps/triceps primarily; 15 lbs) and usually a 10 minute ab workout

2 days a week:  7 mile run (7 mph with intervals to 8.5 mph) with Jillian Michaels circuit 2 or 3, 10 minutes of abs, 10 minutes of dumbell work (15 lbs.)

1 day a week:  3 mile run (intervals); 40 minute cycling class; 60 minutes of a group strength class

Historically when I have lost weight, I exercised (way less than this) and simply cut calories (somewhat drastically in a couple of instances, but it was effective).  Currently, I'm doing about 1300 calories a day and this workout regime and am feeling bloated and just gross with no budging of how my clothes are feeling.  I eat a lot of fruits/veggies each day, not a lot of dairy (only 1 serving of Greek yogurt per day), only have alcohol in moderation on the weekends, and have cut sweets down to few and far between (a nibble here and there).  I eat very few carbs (no breads hardly at all...oatmeal for breakfast usually).  I'm curious if I'm possibly not eating enough to compensate for the workouts and my metabolism is jacked up?  On weekends I tend to be a nibbler (not a "real" meal person) and of course I let myself have treats now and then (I'm human...I have two girls, I'm not going to be a freak around them and demonstrate obsession)....

Anyone have any thoughts? 

Thank you!

Replies

• megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert by any means, so take whatever i say with a grain of salt. i think you're not eating nearly enough. i work out maybe like 25-50% of what you do and eat 1400 calories a day and i'm losing 1-1.5 lbs per week. if i were you, i'd get an HRM if you don't have one already, so you can accurately track how much you're burning and then try to eat back like half of your exercise calories. my husband hit a plateau with his weightloss then starting eating back exercise calories and now he's back to losing.

all of that being said, i really have no idea what i'm talking about - just my opinion!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Okay, no. You are definitely not eating enough. You should eat at least half of your MFP estimated exercise calories back. Imagine it this way, you give your body 1300 calories and take away 800 in exercise, it's only got 500 to make you function for 24 whole hours. You burn roughly 60cals per hour do nothing. It's gonna hold on to anything it can get. Steadily increase your calories if your stomach has shrunk too much and you should find that your workouts will be better too.

I do want to just put this out there but...some people are down on carbs, which is fine. Personally I don't avoid them. They're the fuel of my workouts and protein is the recovery. I've lost almost 60lbs and I've never once avoided a carb. Just choose wholemeal rather than white, sometimes I don't even do that, and choose good healthy water based carbs. Vegetables are carbs. Good fiborous carbs and deserve to be eaten.

Food is fuel and you're doing a lot of good for your body with exercise but don't undo it by under nourishing it.