Vitamin K

Options
BigGuy47
BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
Anyone supplementing with vitamin K?

I'm going to add vitamin K to go along with the vitamin D I've been taking. I read that long term use of vitamin D can lead to vascular calcification (hardening of the arteries). Vitamin K can help offset the calcification.

It seems that vitamin K can also improve insulin sensitivity.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3161300/

Replies

• winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting read. I take vitamin d...but I'm tired of all the pills. Adding another one in the mix is a little daunting.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I will have to ask my doctor about Vitamin K, she recently suggested taking B12 and folic acid to help with neuropathy. The jury is still out on that one.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I would be better served by improving my diet. I do OK with limiting my carb intake, but I don't eat enough green stuff. If I can make sustainable changes to my diet there shouldn't be any need to supplement with vitamin K. Gotta work on that.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I eat pickles for my vit K.
  • vegetarian2626
    vegetarian2626 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i am not a big fan of taking vitamins but i do take one tab a day multivitamin for seniors which i checked does contain vit k = 10ug, and i do agree with tsazani that Anaerobic or high intensity exercise is good for
    lowering insulin résistance
  • lvadmama
    lvadmama Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm on anticoagulants so must be careful to be consistent with and take in less foods high in vitamin k. For a while I was very strict on maintaining low vitamin k, and my blood sugar and a1c went bananas! Now, I'm on higher doses of anticoagulants and eat more vitamin k. About 2 servings of green something daily...I still avoid super k foods, like Brussels sprouts, use collards instead of kale, iceberg not romaine... to help prevent blood clotting but working toward balancing everything. Not easy!
    Can't say for sure the k is what caused my cbg spikes and increased a1c but it is certainly coincidental!
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    This vitamin k information is new for me. I have been taking extra D for some time now and may benefit from a K supplement anyway. Will ask doc about this.