Getting started

jdurlov
jdurlov Posts: 1 Member
Hi all! I've been toying with the idea of starting Wheat Belly for the last few months, and finally ordered the book! I've gained a lot of weight recently and my body is constantly aching and puffy, and I'm looking forward to no longer feeling like that. I'd like to start using myfitnesspal to track my intake, and I'd even like to keep my diary open for my friends to view. What are the most ideal carb and sugar settings for my tracker?

Any tips to help me get through the first few days?

Thanks

Replies

• catherineh1027
    catherineh1027 Posts: 39 Member
    I started last Sunday. There are suggestions in his book on how to help with adjusting to coming off all the grains, but what I primarily did was made sure I was hydrated and put a little extra salt. So far, the first week was not as bad as I though it would be. As for your tracker, you can adjust the percentages for your carbs, fats and protein. I lowered my carbs to 10% or so and increased the protein and fat percentages to be higher. You don't really need to, because you're primarily focusing on net carbs (subtracting fiber from total carbs), and MFP is really helpful with that. The more fiber, the less the net carb, the more you can eat. I am watching my calorie intake, and I've found myself ranging from 1,300 to 1,700 calories, and feeling satiated. I highly recommend having yourself hot tea at night to help. There are some days I did consume a little more dairy than recommended, but I also did not eat fruit, simply because I managed to run out.
  • Ellemarie72
    Ellemarie72 Posts: 52 Member
    Hello there. Glad to find a group here! Just started my WB detox last Wednesday. I had headaches days 3-5, but that has subsided now. Feeling less bloated as well.

Thanks for the percentage/carb info! I've adjusted my settings. I'm just really hoping this is the right plan to follow since I've tried everything else out there and found I gain it all back and then some!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Hi Ellemarie - this isn't a very active group. We mostly hangout here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    I am sort of moderately low car - about 100 grams a day. Most of the folks in the low carb groups eat 100% grain and sugar free.
  • Ellemarie72
    Ellemarie72 Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks fastforlife!