How to manage Keto Breath???

Options
Omg! It's so bad!! I have halitosis now, constantly! I have bought some gum for work today because I often lean in to speak to customers because my restaraunt can be very loud. But other than keeping gum in my mouth at all times, plus flossing and brushing and mouthwash several times a day. But I constantly have bad breath. Has anyone found a good solution??

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would try cutting down on protein a bit and see if it helps.
  • Ketofaster
    Ketofaster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drinking a LOT of water seems to help, at least for me. I always keep gum on me just in case.
  • sciencenovice
    sciencenovice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been adding lemon to the already copious amounts of water and it seems to help. That and limiting dairy before work. That's what seems to make it really bad
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I went to the dentist on Wednesday because mine was so bad - just to rule out anything else that might be causing it.
    Prognosis: Teeth are great, no problems, got a cleaning while I was there. It seems about the only way to keep dibs on it is using something to mask it, at least for me. Altoids minis are great and strong.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It's not coming from your mouth. The acetone and ammonia is exhausted from your lungs. No amount of brushing will help. Lower protein might if you're consuming more than you need and burning the excess.
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    ^ Definitely that. I can taste? it from the back of my throat. Didn't hurt to get the dentist to check things out just in case as the smell was/is pretty bad. It was much like something rotten, so figured hey, my insurance can deal with me getting a check up! It was at least elimination of any dental issues so now I know it's strictly keto death breath.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It also seems to go away as you adapt for a lot of people, or at least become less of a pain
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 describes a "burning" in her nose/throat from the ketones that didn't go away for her at one point, I'm not sure about now, or even what her carb levels are though. Since you describe feeling it in your throat, she may have some advice.?

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yep if I stay before 50g I will get what I call ammonia nose. I haven't stayed low long enough to see if it will pass as I adapt. Now I try to stay below 100g, no problem at that level but some days I'm lower and it shows up again, especially after my lunch walks. If I decide to go low consistently I may see if a neti pot helps
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I've seen reference before to bad smelling breath being due to too much protein intake, is that possible? I get metallic taste but it doesn't smell bad when I'm really low carb.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've seen reference before to bad smelling breath being due to too much protein intake, is that possible? I get metallic taste but it doesn't smell bad when I'm really low carb.

Yep. I reckon that was what my problem was, my protein and fat grams are often close to level.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you ppl are talking about. Usually have a hard time hitting my protein macro. Maybe that's why? Not feeling so bad about it anymore!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I know the sweet smell associated with ketones, but it's not stinky. My T1D gets it every time her blood sugar is high.
    If it smells bad, it absolutely must be protein.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    If you can stand it chew on some fresh coriander or mint leaves and stalks. We do this in Thailand after eating fermented fishy and chilli and garlic based food. I find it helps with the change in mouth odour from lc
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    I don't hit my protein macro usually, sometimes as low as half of it, and my breath is still really rough. I'm going to try the mint, my mint plant is one happy critter and about 3 feet wide.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think my breath has actually got better, don't have that horrible taste in my mouth anymore. Probably the lack of fermenting sugar in my gut!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Im so glad I'm not the only one with the metallic taste. Bleh! If you find a good way to handle this, send it my way.
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Im so glad I'm not the only one with the metallic taste. Bleh! If you find a good way to handle this, send it my way.

they say its suppose to pass as you adapt, I do not know how long that takes. lots of water is the only thing I've found that helps, but it only helps for the second you are drinking it.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Ketones and acetone are produced when in Ketosis. Acetone is the same ingredient as fingernail polish remover.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @dittodan yes I remember that smell on my cats breath when he had dka.

I know the metallic taste is from ketones, same thing with the ammonia nose I get. I just dont get a bad smell from my breath, which is good. Could be from me not being ultra low carb.