Dumb mental game

Options
ambsnic17
ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
It's so hard to not cut back to 1700 calories which is what I was eating when loosing weight after my son. Is 1700 too low anyway?? Ugh....

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I'm going thru the same thing myself right now too!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @beastmode_kitty - IT SUCKS!!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I know! Hang in there!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I don't even know what I'm doing. I stopped increasing calories because I freaked. Frustrated with everything from weighing food, not fitting into pants, "gaining" (fat or water) it's just plain down discouraging. Do I need to reset or not? How many calories should I be eating? How many calories do I burn? What is my correct activity level? It all stresses me out.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Me too girl. You should create a journal on the em2wl boards. And read througj others- its really helpful!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I am following a lot of people in their journeys on em2wl. It is helpful, I just feel stuck. How is this different from before? I was consistent at loosing before, however I was eating less (1700) and working out longer per day. Is that what's missing? Do I need to give 15-30 more minutes each day? Sorry I'm just venting. Lol thanks for your encouragement ladies!!
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    I am following a lot of people in their journeys on em2wl. It is helpful, I just feel stuck. How is this different from before? I was consistent at loosing before, however I was eating less (1700) and working out longer per day. Is that what's missing? Do I need to give 15-30 more minutes each day? Sorry I'm just venting. Lol thanks for your encouragement ladies!!

Why did you switch to em2wl? For me low cal/more exercise worked after my first two kids. If i was exhuasted, i felt it was from having little ones. But after my third- weight loss has been much slower. And when i went low calorie i could barely function. With their ages 8, 6, & almost 4, having slept through the night for the past 2+ years i realized i could have more energy with more food. So while i want to cut (hopefully soon) the benefits are what i need right now.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Read a very good article yesterday. Bodybuilding .com the ultimate guide to reverse dieting. Laid it out nicely. I have to keep reading and studying to stay committed when my head gets in the way . I LOVE the new eat to perform podcasts. If you aren't listening you should. So many success stories. It takes time and patience. I want to reach my goals but there's a lot of headwork involved too. I'm focusing on muscle growth. I feel 100% it's the missing component to most weight loss plans. Fat loss is the goal, not scale loss.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @saranharm my first pregnancy was almost four years ago. After having him is when I started eating 1700 calories and working out a lot. The weight loss was consistent. It was consistent up until I became pregnant with my second. After having her (she's 9 months) I found em2wl and thought wow I can eat more and still lose?! So that's when i decided to jump in because who doesn't love to eat!!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @KickboxDiva I'm constantly watching/reading things on em2wl for motivation and encouragement. I feel like I'm a little different on here because I don't "lift." I do strength exercises with Dumbbells and am slowly increasing the weight as I just got some adjustable Dumbbells recently. I workout from home and I will never own a gym membership. I know it takes time and patience-it took me a year to lose 40+ lbs first time. And I'm ok with that.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to "lift". I don't life free weights (4 herniated discs in my back) but I do the weight machines. I think the key is to eventually increase the amount of weight on the dumbbells. I also don't think you need to go to the gym. Look at Craigslist for used weights, you will find them really cheap. I'd also look for the adjustable dumbbells, that way you don't have to have a bazillion different sets, you can just add weight as you need to.

As far as "how many calories should I be eating", I'd use the Scooby calculator Or Heybales calculator too. Both were right around the same number. If you are picking the right activity level (heybales is easier that way, his asks questions) it's going to get you pretty close to your TDEE and just eat at that number each week and see what the scale does. And just stay there regardless of what the scale is doing. You might have to tweak it a bit, that's what these wonderful people are here to help with, but don't expect this to happen in a week or two. This takes time. Just hang in and eat.

I know you are battling with "I lost at 1700" and you want to go back to that but I'm here to tell you that it will eventually not work. You will need to eat lower and lower to see a weight loss of even a pound. I ate at around 1300-1600 for 6 months and lost and gained the same 3 pounds the whole time. So put in the time to do this right the first time and you WILL be able to lose at a much much higher caloric intake.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Have you tried figuring out how much you roughly need to be eating like using this http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    It's just a guide, but definitely puts you in the right direction. I've found it to be pretty accurate for me.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @rastaempress I have used it and every other one out there I think. Lol in hopes to give me a better estimate. Thanks!!

@justsayinisall I do have adjustable Dumbbells. I recently got them just haven't put to use yet. That's what I'm afraid of with thinking about going back to 1700- not sticking to it. I looked back at my diary then and I was so INCONSISTENT logging because I couldn't do it; binging because I was depriving myself of food I enjoy. Now since the increase I have logged every single day for 130+ days. So huge NSV for me there! I'm not giving up by any means, just struggling to figure things out. I did check out Heybales sheet briefly and it gave me a significant amount of calories more than other calculators. Did anyone else find that?
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Within the past few days I just found out I have a cyst on my ovary. This has caused some major bloating in my stomach and lower pain in my abdomen pretty regularly. So I'm not sure what effects this might be playing in this whole process if any. I find out more next week.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Great thread!

My heybales spreadsheet had less, but that may be user error ;) i think i am poor at judging my activity.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Read a very good article yesterday. Bodybuilding .com the ultimate guide to reverse dieting. Laid it out nicely. I have to keep reading and studying to stay committed when my head gets in the way . I LOVE the new eat to perform podcasts. If you aren't listening you should. So many success stories. It takes time and patience. I want to reach my goals but there's a lot of headwork involved too. I'm focusing on muscle growth. I feel 100% it's the missing component to most weight loss plans. Fat loss is the goal, not scale loss.

Do you have a link for this? Or is it a new article that will pop up when i pull up the site?
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    Within the past few days I just found out I have a cyst on my ovary. This has caused some major bloating in my stomach and lower pain in my abdomen pretty regularly. So I'm not sure what effects this might be playing in this whole process if any. I find out more next week.

:(
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @saranharm I'm also terrible at judging my activity level. That's part of the frustration. Lol I think it's harder too for us that are SAHM to figure out what our levels are.