Brain Octane oil

Options
batlott
batlott Posts: 61 Member
Anyone using this instead of coconut oil? What has been your results. Thanks.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    When I'm cooking or baking and want a mild-flavored, high fat oil with no coconut or olive flavor, I do sometimes use MCT oil. I haven't noticed any difference using it but then, I don't use a lot of the MCT oil.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I use it in my BPC sometimes.. I find it gives me more energy than coconut oil alone, but it could be a placebo effect.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just ordered an MCT oil that has caprylic acid and capric acid. The Brain Octane stuff is that first one only. From my research yesterday, it requires less processing to get that "brain fuel" feeling, but it lasts less time too, than a more balanced MCT oil or one with coconut oil, also. (Coconut oil is Lauric Acid, with these, but they're split out for some formulas, etc.)

What are you planning to use it for? I'll be using mine as a supplement. I don't cook with coconut oil now. Mainly butter, some olive oil, etc.
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would be using it as a supplement. Perhaps I will try MCT oil. I appreciate your comments. I always appreciate your comments and learn a lot from you. Thanks.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ and I just had a conversation - a very awesome, nerdy conversation - about all this fun stuff yesterday!

I ended up going with Buried Treasure brand (from amazon) due to the cost, but if you're looking for a less expensive alternative to see if you like it, Walmart carries a "liquid coconut oil" that's actually MCT oil, just not labeled as such, that has the lauric acid with the caprylic and capric acids that's pretty cheap, too. (Carrington Farms is the brand, I think.)

http://www.vitacost.com/buried-treasure-coconut-oil-mct-16-fl-oz?csrc=PPCADW-[keyword]&mtp=s8TmJsKp2-dc|pcrid|95700665531|mt|b&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlae1BRCU2qaz2__t9IIBEiQAKRGDVVEByQHdLMAcz2-n4l1kypCrGhNfG64JFtCiYjeSgHMaAkDn8P8HAQ

I forget who, but someone said that this is AWESOME tasting in homemade mayo...

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

:) I'll get my order by Monday, but might trying the WM variation because I'm just impatient! LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    batlott wrote: »
    I would be using it as a supplement. Perhaps I will try MCT oil. I appreciate your comments. I always appreciate your comments and learn a lot from you. Thanks.

And I just re-read your comment. You're so welcome! I've only learned all these things because others who came before me shared their knowledge, too. I just happen to be good and "mama-birding" the info back to others! LOL
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I use it in my BPC sometimes.. I find it gives me more energy than coconut oil alone, but it could be a placebo effect.

Definitely no placebo effect. Here are the concentration comparisons between coconut oil and a particular brand of MCT
    They are not all the same!
    The link will take you the breakdown of all fatty acids in various oils which is how I calculated the co grams.
    http://www.chempro.in/fattyacid.htm

The math based on the chart of all the fatty acids of 14g regular coconut oil would be
    0g-.112g caproic (C10 Hexoic)
    .7g-1.26g caprylic (C8 Octoic)
    .84g-1.4g capric (C10 Decoic)
    6.16g-7.28g lauric (C12 Dodecanoic)
    1.82g-2.66g myristic (C14 Tetradecanoic)
    1.12g-1.54g palmitic (C16 Hexadecanoic)
    .14g-.42g stearic (C18 Octadecanoic)
    .7g-1.12g oleic (C18:1)
    0g-.14g linoleic (C18:2)
    0g-.07g arachidic (C20 Eicosanoic)

Comparing 14g CO to Carrington Farms MCT: (estimating an even number from the above range for CO)
    Lauric: 7g / 4.3g
    Caprylic: 1g / 4.2g
    Capric: 1g / 3.4g

Brain Octaine Oil is 15g caprylic acid which is the shortest chain fatty acid. This is why it is best for mental energy and the most Ketogenic. It's the easiest for the body to use. It's fast energy like carbs are. Your body can use it right away and the liver does not have to convert it before being used. The brain lives this form of energy! Even in the presence of glucose, it will use this first. That's why even sugar burners can produce ketones while using it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I notice much more energy when I take MCT oil compared to coconut oil.