keto and exercise (or not!)

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I did not exercise at all in the first couple of months. By the third month I was going for some walks two or three times a week. Once school started up I was mostly back to nothing. I ave been dabbling in weights but the weekend warrior method I have isn't helping anything.

I have also been doing maybe half an hour of basketball every week since October. That isn't helping either. I tend to have too much fun, play too hard, and then hobble on ad hips for a good week. I am especially so today. I had a small piece of cake and cinnamon bun for my birthday and the sugars set off a bit of autoimmune pain. Add basketball onto that and I look pretty feeble today. LOL

I rambled... Sorry. I exercise only sporadically and as my arthritis allows.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Hello! Curious about how many of you are losing without actually going to the gym/doing a "workout"? Reluctant to renew my membership (time and money issues) but can manage a 45 minute walk with the dog 4 days/week + one 90 minute yoga session......I was doing LC all summer and it was flying off but was also pretty active. Thoughts?

Forget the hard exercise. Walking and other mild exercise is ok, lose the membership, save yourself some money. I can think of a few reasons:

1) Hard exercise will increase your hunger. The whole point of the Keto/Fat eating is to decrease your hunger as you eat less calories. LOW fat diets make you hungry.

2) Hard exercising is a powerful psychological reason to eat extra, because after-all, you either burned it off or can burn it off, either way it justifies over-eating.

3) Hard exercise inflames the body, any type of inflammation will cause your body to absorb water. It will hold onto the water for days. You will be depressed when you do that hard workout, and show no/or small amount of a loss.

4) I lost over 100 lbs on a Keto diet without any hard exercise (and other than a few instances, I didn't do any walking either.) I added water fasting to my routine, to break stalls.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program

Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I started keto 11/2 and was training for a Thanksgiving morning 5K, so I was running about 3x/wk. I had a hard time with it those first few weeks until I got adapted. I haven't been running much lately but I've been doing more strength training and yoga/stretching, and some HIIT/intervals.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    1) Hard exercise will increase your hunger. The whole point of the Keto/Fat eating is to decrease your hunger as you eat less calories. LOW fat diets make you hungry.

Not always. Hard exercise suppresses my hunger most times. But even so, there's nothing wrong with eating a little extra. The hunger modulation still happens (I've actually got logs that show it at work for myself).
    2) Hard exercising is a powerful psychological reason to eat extra, because after-all, you either burned it off or can burn it off, either way it justifies over-eating.

Psychological reasons to overeat are arguably something that need to be addressed outside of avoidance of the physical activity in question. I've personally found that the appetite modulating effects of low carb overpower the psychological component, by and large.
    3) Hard exercise inflames the body, any type of inflammation will cause your body to absorb water. It will hold onto the water for days. You will be depressed when you do that hard workout, and show no/or small amount of a loss.

Reason number 367543 why the scale on any given day is a poor indicator of progress.
    4) I lost over 100 lbs on a Keto diet without any hard exercise (and other than a few instances, I didn't do any walking either.) I added water fasting to my routine, to break stalls.

This is a fantastic example of my assertion earlier that exercise is not required for weight loss. However, I disagree with the blanket discouragement of hard exercise (and while I do agree that the OP need not waste money on a gym membership, one does not need a gym to participate in hard exercise).
  • milandy1969
    milandy1969 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50lbs in the last year without exercising at all -- keto/no carb only. I started exercising last week - c25k and a squat challenge - just for the mental clarity it brings and to enjoy the outdoors.

I went from 242 to 191 in a year. I gained a few pounds due to lazy keto but they're starting to come off again.

The c25k programs has been great. Just light jogging and walking so far. My wife and I are running two 5ks in the middle of March, which sound like they're going to be a lot of fun.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    for the mental clarity it brings and to enjoy the outdoors.

That seems to be the secret to staying motivated -- do it because you enjoy it and look forward to it.

Not for weight loss. Not for health. Not because you think you "should."
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with wabmester, do what you enjoy and look forward to. I personally think exercise is beneficial because it helps me feel strong, gives me mental clarity and is good for the heart. It helped me lose 40 pounds. Now I am looking to drop another 20 with LC and exercise. So far, so good!
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So proud of all of you! I am going to start by walking/yoga...and hopefully by the time the snow melts and I feel stronger I will be encouraged to do something else....for fun!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    for the mental clarity it brings and to enjoy the outdoors.

That seems to be the secret to staying motivated -- do it because you enjoy it and look forward to it.

Not for weight loss. Not for health. Not because you think you "should."

Glad to see you promoting my E.A.S.Y. Exercise program Wab! Thank you!

Enjoyable - fun, pleasurable exercise
    Achievement - work, serves a purpose
    Sustainable - more likely to stay on the program
    Yields - yields great rewards, benefits and fitness

;)

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's true, Dan -- I do think you've got the secret sauce. :)

When I first started exercise, my philosophy was that it should also be useful work, but I just couldn't do that consistently enough.

Running is something that's easier to do consistently, and there's a very low barrier (just put on shoes and go), but it's not very useful work. It becomes a habit. And it can become a social thing -- meet your buddies at a 5K. And you can either decide to challenge yourself, or just do a slow meditative run, or a mix.

Similar with bodyweight exercises and yoga. Low barrier, sustainable, relaxing, challenging as you want it to be, potentially even a social outlet. A friend of mine ended up marrying his yoga teacher. :)

Edit: I should add that in terms of useful work, I try to walk and bike to destinations when possible, as well as doing stuff like yard work.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    For the the achievement lies in the workout itself, the feeling I have completing it...the blood pumping and all those macho emotions that make me think of great athletes in history lol Seriously very seldom are my workouts utilitarian in nature...they are always selfish quests to feel good and better myself and it's become a habit that I miss when i'm not doing it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Smoked33 wrote: »
    For the the achievement lies in the workout itself, the feeling I have completing it...the blood pumping and all those macho emotions that make me think of great athletes in history lol Seriously very seldom are my workouts utilitarian in nature...they are always selfish quests to feel good and better myself and it's become a habit that I miss when i'm not doing it.

That's how I am, too. Even when they're utilitarian in nature, that most satisfying part is the physical feeling of having done the physical exertion. It's a very empowered feeling, especially in strength-based stuff.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a corporate job, but work out of my home office most days. I just started doing what I call my conference call workouts. Instead of sitting in a chair for an hour listening into meetings I put the phone on mute and do a workout for at least part of it (when I don't have to contribute of course). I also do kitchen squats. I can easily get 100 squats in while waiting for something on the stove to cook and such :)
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Personally, the gym is worth it in my opinion but I think it's all a personal choice. Of course being active is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's hard to fit into a busy life. Plus, gym fees can be expensive. I joined a gym through my health insurance and it's half the cost of a normal gym fee with the added benefit that I can go to any gym that participates (including the YMCA's in my area) and take any classes they offer. One day I can go to the Y, the next I can go to LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness, SNAP Fitness, etc...

My best fit was a 24 hour gym that totally fits with my hectic schedule. I allot an hour at the gym and I go anywhere from 4-7 days a week. I did research and planned out a 4 day strength training program so I don't "overdo" it and walk 30 minutes on a treadmill. That being said, you could do all of this from your own home and save the cost. I just like the hour of "me" time. I don't get distracted and the gym is usually empty when I go so I don't feel self conscious.

Make a list of pros and cons of exercise and see if it's worth it for you personally. Good luck! :)