What brands of dressing and mayo are good?

Options
i have been eating Helmans mayo and Marie's Caesar and Thousand Island. They are all low in carbs but they all have soy bean oil which causes inflammation. I do not enjoy home made mayo and also not a fan of oil and vinegar. So what's the idea?

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you're a fan of Hellman's you'd like Kraft Real Mayo (not Miracle Whip) as well...not sure of the soy content though. I buy Kraft when Hellman's isn't available.
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Make your own! It's so easy. I use avocado oil, egg, lemon juice or vinegar, salt, and a couple drops of stevia. I mix it in my mixer. There are tons of recipes online. So easy and really good.
  • DaniKetoTaylor
    DaniKetoTaylor Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I made my own and I wasn't a fan.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I use Duke's Mayo. I think it still has soybean oil, but not much. I have gastro distress reactions to soy (BAD) and I don't react to this mayo at all.

The ONLY homemade mayo I found that I like is this one: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Super easy to make, and if you screw it up, directions for how to make ranch out of it.

Homemade ranch with sour cream/mayo.

I like Ken's brand Caesar dressing...that's probably my go to... Or any Italian that doesn't use soy...not oil and vinegar, but actual Italian or creamy Italian. I just stick with Ken's because it's low carb.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I too am in the process of eliminating fermented soy from my diet and I have yet to find a commercially produced mayo that doesn't contain soy. :( There are, however, quite a few free LCHF recipes out there on the internet for homemade Mayo. The mayo doesn't last long in the fridge though (no preservatives) so if you make some for yourself, I suggest you make only a 1/2 or 1/4 recipe unless you eat a lot of Mayo every day. I know there are some salad dressings out there that don't have soy in them, but you probably won't find these at normal grocery stores. Check health food stores. Whole Foods stores do carry a couple of brands, some (but not all) of which contain no soy but you have to check the ingredient list on the back of the bottle for each flavor you are thinking of trying. Another alternative for salad dressing is to add a soy-free dip mix to homemade mayo and use that instead.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I too am in the process of eliminating fermented soy from my diet and I have yet to find a commercially produced mayo that doesn't contain soy. :( There are, however, quite a few free LCHF recipes out there on the internet for homemade Mayo. The mayo doesn't last long in the fridge though (no preservatives) so if you make some for yourself, I suggest you make only a 1/2 or 1/4 recipe unless you eat a lot of Mayo every day. I know there are some salad dressings out there that don't have soy in them, but you probably won't find these at normal grocery stores. Check health food stores. Whole Foods stores do carry a couple of brands, some (but not all) of which contain no soy but you have to check the ingredient list on the back of the bottle for each flavor you are thinking of trying. Another alternative for salad dressing is to add a soy-free dip mix to homemade mayo and use that instead.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods' 365 brand uses canola oil instead of soy. It doesn't use added sugar, either, which is awesome (seriously, mayo does not need sweetener).

There's another brand, I don't remember the name of it, but its logo looks like a butler in a top hat. It uses sunflower seed oil, but it's quite expensive.

Mark Sisson also has a mayo under his Primal Pantry brand. It's avocado oil based, but you can only order it online right now. Last I heard, they were trying to get into places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, but that's a lengthy process.

I second trying your hand at making your own using the recipe @KnitOrMiss linked. It's really easy to do, and then you can use whatever oil you want. For a while, I used light tasting olive oil, but the quality of olive oil tanked in my area, and olive's a bit pricey for that anyway. Refined avocado oil is supposed to be good, but I haven't gotten my hands on it, yet. But you can experiment with other oils, especially if you like stronger-tasting ones and stronger-tasting mayo. Baconaise is a common standby for people around here, for example.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been using that same basic recipe for some time, now. I use either light olive oil or avocado oil. I jazz it up with different mustards, jalepano, horseradish... It's delicious. Super-easy with the immersion blender.
  • DaniKetoTaylor
    DaniKetoTaylor Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • nhernandez22
    nhernandez22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use 365 organic mayo from whole foods... It has no soy!!! That was the only one I could find without soy.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Oh man I love homemade mayo, especially when it has fresh basil blended in too, my fave!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft real mayo and make the packs of ranch powder dressing with HWC and the mayo (love thousand isaland dressing but to much sugar)
  • ncprice1
    ncprice1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've used Hellman's all my life, haven't found any other that I enjoyed. Most of the salad dressings in my local market have a bit too much sugar or juice-based sweeteners added (pear juice, etc) for my tolerance level. Soy doesn't bother me, but soy-sensitive friends seem to enjoy the 365 brand. Hope that helps.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you are in the UK, try Delouis, available from Sainsbury's and Waitrose
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Just as point of reference, I made a full single batch as in the above recipe, and I ate it within a month. I don't know if my fridge is just cold enough or what, but it did not turn, it did not separate or go bad or anything. It could have been any number of factors, but I've had this happen both times I made that recipe.

I've recently come across MCT Oil, 16 oz for $13.50 (2 pack is $23), and I remember someone saying that they loved mayo with MCT oil, so I may try make it again after experimenting with the MCT for a while, itself.