ABC show "My Diet Is Better Than Your Diet"

Options

Replies

• KristyBPharmD
    KristyBPharmD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Watching the final (1/2 way through now)... Taj makes my blood boil. What a horrible attitude to have (not just with the diet plans... but life overall).
  • SiouxFallsMan
    SiouxFallsMan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just finished the last two episodes. The way Jeff ( I think that's his name from the yellow team) starts to get pissed and accuses Kurt and Able of cheating! Haha Kurt says he's just not hungry. That's the way I felt last night when it was dinner time. I love how they talked about IF too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Went to the show's page and looked at the "Wild Diet" plan.

http://abc.go.com/shows/my-diet-is-better-than-yours/news/updates/abc-my-diet-is-better-than-yours-abel-james-wild-diet-plan

pxz4ba86jnrp.png

Look at what rule is first and foremost! Don't count calories. I told you all! Low carb plans almost universally are not calorie counting plans.

:wink:

I found the description a bit odd. It starts with: Abel James is going into the game with “The Wild Diet” which focuses primarily on plant-based foods and bans processed carbs, but allows pastured meats, cheeses, butter and even chocolate! Combined with one specially designed 7-minute workout a day— Abel says the fat WILL come off!

A plant based diet? But then it doesn't mention plants again until much later. When it does, it says: By weight your intake will be 2/3rds plant foods and 1/3rd meats, fats and oils.

I'm betting the guy on the diet is NOT eating 2/3 plant foods by weight. By surface area, maybe. I could be wrong, though, but haven't been able to make myself watch the show again. ha.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

http://abc.go.com/shows/my-diet-is-better-than-yours/news/updates/abc-my-diet-is-better-than-yours-abel-james-wild-diet-plan

pxz4ba86jnrp.png

Look at what rule is first and foremost! Don't count calories. I told you all! Low carb plans almost universally are not calorie counting plans.

I found the description a bit odd. It starts with: Abel James is going into the game with “The Wild Diet” which focuses primarily on plant-based foods and bans processed carbs, but allows pastured meats, cheeses, butter and even chocolate! Combined with one specially designed 7-minute workout a day— Abel says the fat WILL come off!

A plant based diet? But then it doesn't mention plants again until much later. When it does, it says: By weight your intake will be 2/3rds plant foods and 1/3rd meats, fats and oils.

I'm betting the guy on the diet is NOT eating 2/3 plant foods by weight. By surface area, maybe. I could be wrong, though, but haven't been able to make myself watch the show again. ha.

Something tells me that's a bit of pandering to assuage the anti-meat fears (I can't wait for the day when it's the vegan diet having to do that).

However, his diet is very much Paleo-based, and the general recommendation is still "half the plate of vegetables" -- http://fatburningman.com/what-is-the-wild-diet/

He doesn't get into it "by weight" that I saw skimming over that page, but one of Paleo's unofficial mottos is "eat more vegetables than a vegetarian," and Able encourages eating at many vegetables as your heart desires.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

pxz4ba86jnrp.png

Abel has a "plate" guide. His plate is 1/2 green leafies, 1/4 meat. The last quarter is filled with fat and a small serving of low-carb fruit and/or very small portion of starchy veggies. He also talks about how you shouldn't have your carbs in the morning. So meativore brekkie I'm guessing.

EDIT:
    Here it is:
    The-Wild-Plate1.jpg
  • baconslave
    Options
    Just finished the last two episodes. The way Jeff ( I think that's his name from the yellow team) starts to get pissed and accuses Kurt and Able of cheating! Haha Kurt says he's just not hungry. That's the way I felt last night when it was dinner time. I love how they talked about IF too.

Jeff acts like my 4-year-old...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2016
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

pxz4ba86jnrp.png

Abel has a "plate" guide. His plate is 1/2 green leafies, 1/4 meat. The last quarter is filled with fat and a small serving of low-carb fruit and/or very small portion of starchy veggies. He also talks about how you shouldn't have your carbs in the morning. So meativore brekkie I'm guessing.

EDIT:
    Here it is:
    The-Wild-Plate1.jpg

I guess it just seems odd given that most of the emphasis is on animal products, on the website, and on tv, to call it a plant based diet. Otherwise, the "plate" looks fabulous to me!!
  • baconslave
    Options

pxz4ba86jnrp.png

EDIT:
    Here it is:
    The-Wild-Plate1.jpg

I guess it just seems odd given that most of the emphasis is on animal products, on the website, and on tv, to call it a plant based diet. Otherwise, the "plate" looks fabulous to me!!

i agree. It is weird. I guess he's going out of his way to point out that it isn't vegetarian and that you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid meat and fat. He's emphasizing that you should make them a priority in your diet. But in reality that isn't all you eat. It's a backlash against vegetarian/veganism, I'm guessing, and everyone needs to have a "hook" or gimmick.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

pxz4ba86jnrp.png

EDIT:
    Here it is:
    The-Wild-Plate1.jpg

i agree. It is weird. I guess he's going out of his way to point out that it isn't vegetarian and that you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid meat and fat. He's emphasizing that you should make them a priority in your diet. But in reality that isn't all you eat. It's a backlash against vegetarian/veganism, I'm guessing, and everyone needs to have a "hook" or gimmick.

It also comes back to the fact that even omnivorous diets tend to exclude or severely limit things like butter, steak, eggs, and chocolate. They happen to be mostly animal foods, but it's really more about the fat content in those items. Even look at the "moderation" style diets on the show, and they trade cheddar cheese for mozzarella, steak for chicken, etc. Able's saying "not only do you get to have these awesome foods back, but the Wild Diet encourages them, because fat is not bad, but in fact crucial to health."
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    All I know is that the wild diet is a lot like how I started low carb. I started with a low-carb-ish paleo diet. Aiming for less than 100g a day. Sure, I found that I did better without the stuff I allowed back then, but it's a great start.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Just finished episode 8 (the final). Let's just say, it was amazing.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person here who thinks Taj was a little difficult? I mean, yes, Taj was the victim, but she was her own victim. A victim of her own internal struggles. Her confrontational personality kept everyone at arms length, even those who cared. Her trainer wasn't blaming her achievements, but she did call her out on her lack of desire, and it appeared as though Taj was incapable of either rising to a challenge, as we saw with the 5k, or feeling good about herself, as we saw with the yellow belt. As soon as something became difficult, she closed up like a clam and that was that. As soon as she made an achievement, she couldn't give a crap. There was no joy with her. There was a boatload of emotional suppression with her. "How do you feel?" Instead of feeling good emotionally, for achieving the yellow belt, she felt "tired", completely and intentionally missing the point, and that was a pattern throughout the show. Emotional baggage.

Could the trainer have done better? Perhaps. Taj went through two trainers. She's obviously a smart lady, a teacher at that, but she made for an extremely difficult student.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Does anyone else think Dawn is the most ripped among the trainers? Her back & shoulder striations look like shards of glass!
    The finale was pretty good, I think it could have gone either way, but self motivation without having trainer guidance seemed to play a huge role

Yes, Taj has a huge ego...possibly had a complex of being taught by a trainer when she is in fact a teacher (although different subjects). Also, she didn't seem to have the emotional support & motivation from friends & family as the other contestants...her partner didn't support her & they broke up apparently.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Totally! I couldn't believe it when she said she'd never seen an avocado, and yet Mexican food is her fav. You may recall that she said, "Oh, that must be the green stuff!" I assume she meant Guacamole; and this woman is an EDUCATOR! I grieve for her students...and the future of our society as a whole.

I can't believe I've been hooked into this crap, but I am. Naturally, I'm rooting for Abel/Kurt. I have only seen episodes 1-4 and had to watch them "on demand," which meant I couldn't fast forward. It nearly killed me. I just want to skip through the garbage pseudo-advice and get to the weigh-ins. I don't totally hate the "super food" woman, but the rest of them are either useless or down-right dangerous (Abel aside).[/quote]

I couldn't believe she doesn't know what a avocado is But if you buy processed guacamole with lots of additives & preservatives (1) easy to put on weight & (2) never see a real food like an avocado.

I read this thread & found shows on YouTube, and also now hooked.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I've not watched, since the first half of the first episode, but on the main boards folks are saying that the wild diet dieter says he's eating around 1,000 calories a day (I can't remember the exact range) and the trainer is not disagreeing? Why is that big man eating so little?
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've not watched, since the first half of the first episode, but on the main boards folks are saying that the wild diet dieter says he's eating around 1,000 calories a day (I can't remember the exact range) and the trainer is not disagreeing? Why is that big man eating so little?

This! He said in one weigh in, maybe episode 6, that he ate only 800-1000 calories the previous day (none of which were veggies, btw). The big guy in yellow accused him of cheating and I thought there was going to be a fight.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

The plan involves not counting calories. So, it is very likely he is eating more than that. But, if you are very heavy, your hunger on low carb can be extremely low. He might be eating that little because his body isn't asking for food. It has plenty of energy, he is giving it the right nutrients, and it doesn't ask for excess.

My calories started low, unintentionally, (well 1600 ish) and rose as my fat stores went down. Same thing probably happened to him, except he had much more excess.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

The plan involves not counting calories. So, it is very likely he is eating more than that. But, if you are very heavy, your hunger on low carb can be extremely low. He might be eating that little because his body isn't asking for food. It has plenty of energy, he is giving it the right nutrients, and it doesn't ask for excess.

My calories started low, unintentionally, (well 1600 ish) and rose as my fat stores went down. Same thing probably happened to him, except he had much more excess.

I get it, but again, If the plan doesn't count calories, why bring them up? I get LCHF but that wild diet seems wildly contradictory!
  • ValBFP4H
    ValBFP4H Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do they go by percentage of weight lost like Biggest Loser? That would make it fair between the guys and women.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I get it, but again, If the plan doesn't count calories, why bring them up? I get LCHF but that wild diet seems wildly contradictory!

If I had to guess, I'd say a prompt got edited out or something.

And how does one comment by a contestant make an entire diet "wildly contradictory"?