Fitbit Calorie Adjustment wrong

Options

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I came here to find out what the heck is going on. I had an exercise adjustment of 250, now it's only 15 calories and MFP is telling me I'm 15 calories over when I've only consumed 1291 calories for the day. I guess I'll just follow my Fitbit eating plan until MFP gets it together.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Yeah, I came here to find out what the heck is going on. I had an exercise adjustment of 250, now it's only 15 calories and MFP is telling me I'm 15 calories over when I've only consumed 1291 calories for the day. I guess I'll just follow my Fitbit eating plan until MFP gets it together.

please email MFP support and let them know you are having issues to. The more pressure the better.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Accidentally posted before I typed anything...
  • Lourdesong
    Options
    In the IOS app under the "more" menu, I went to "steps" and saw Fitbit was not selected, instead "don't track steps" was selected. So, I changed it to track steps with Fitbit, and the adjustments have been correct for about 1/2 hour now. MFP burn number has stayed the same at 1770 at every sync.

In my food diary I also now have a pretty Fitbit icon that displays my step count now.

Now after I post this, I'll check it again and discover it's not syncing correctly again, just watch...:)

Anyway, check and see if MFP is set to track your steps with fitbit or not.
  • Oceantech
    Oceantech Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's really messed up.. Fitbit at a -750 has me at 3,083 for the day. MFP at a -750 has me at 2,694. I did 10 miles today.

*Update, now MFP shows 1960.
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've contacted support but haven't received a substantive response yet. Have any of you?

All - please contact support. The more they hear about it the more likely to jump on it.
  • Lourdesong
    Options
    I haven't heard anything back, no.

Everything appears fixed now for me, though since I did what I posted above... Over an hour now and it has been working as it should. Hoping it stays that way.
  • Maxematics
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    In the IOS app under the "more" menu, I went to "steps" and saw Fitbit was not selected, instead "don't track steps" was selected. So, I changed it to track steps with Fitbit, and the adjustments have been correct for about 1/2 hour now. MFP burn number has stayed the same at 1770 at every sync.

In my food diary I also now have a pretty Fitbit icon that displays my step count now.

Now after I post this, I'll check it again and discover it's not syncing correctly again, just watch...:)

I did this on the Android app in the "Steps" tab and it fixed things for now. Thank you!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Happening to us too. We have to delete our exercise adjustment each time before syncing our Fitbits.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2309562-not-seeing-exercise-adjustment-or-steps-from-the-partner-linked-to-your-myfitnesspal-account

: ( On top of MFP's issue, I have been having Fitbit syncing issues for the last week. I have a Windows phone that I only use for logging/syncing when necessary. My Fitbit will no longer sync with my desktop, so I'm stuck with the phone for that. My whole system is all screwy and I don't like it.
  • jeepinshawn
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I did this on the Android app in the "Steps" tab and it fixed things for now. Thank you!

I did the same, enabled steps and boom I had the correct calorie count and it displays the steps I have taken.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I noticed the top picture on this page is missing the timestamp for the Fitbit Calories burned data and what it actually was.
    (Based on xxx calories burned as of HH:mm)

When everyone with that issue is seeing it - is that timestamp indeed missing with Fitbit calories up to that point?

I know the other issue is the problem the static MFP Calories Burned is changing.

Since I doubt the formula for that figure is actually changing (BMR x 4 possible activity level factors 1.25, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8) - I'm guessing something that changes the BMR has changed. Or perhaps the activity level did change.

When that MFP Calories Burned is wrong - has anyone ever checked your Diet/Fitness profile to confirm the gender, age, weight, height, activity level choices are correct?

On that one, I'm wondering if they are about to have a database blowup and corruption. I know they have backups at other sites, but still.

So more regionally based perhaps issue.
    I seem to hit Chicago Amazon servers for instance for even the web page, not sure if database is there too for me. Makes sense being in midwest.
  • cbkm2k12
    cbkm2k12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi guys - so mine isn't working... I was just lazy yesterday :)

How would people feel about the numbers if we hypothesise that the MFP Calories burned figure is now changing based on some calculation involving "steps" ? (Since that is synced from Fitbit I believe)

E.g. I have MFP burned @ 0615 (just after a run) = 2,344 (expected)

And @ 0829 (A while later, obviously) = 2,729 which produces a wildly wrong adjustment of 44 vs the 403 it should be.

I'm currently in an e-mail discussion with MFP Support FWIW and was asked about steps... so throwing it out there to see if other people think steps could be adjusting the MFP burned figure during the day.
  • goodc0re
    goodc0re Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is a real nightmare ... whatever their devs are doing, can they just not do it on their live server! It has to be tested properly first.
    The adjustment is either not there, completely wrong, or sometimes right, it varies by the hour!
    Sometimes it helps to remove the fitbit app and add it back, but then next thing I check, the calories are gone again!
  • jeepinshawn
    Options
    goodc0re wrote: »
    This is a real nightmare ... whatever their devs are doing, can they just not do it on their live server! It has to be tested properly first.
    The adjustment is either not there, completely wrong, or sometimes right, it varies by the hour!
    Sometimes it helps to remove the fitbit app and add it back, but then next thing I check, the calories are gone again!
    I agree although simply checking the box that says show fitbit steps fixed the issue for me. It is really frustrating to deal with these issues. To avoid going into the red you can adjust your activity level up. Just look at your average tdee on fitbit and find an activity level that is similar. If you are eating ing at a deficit just make sure you are 500 cals, for 1lb/week, or 1000 below your daily tdee for 2lbs/week.

• Maxematics
    Options
    As of today, the steps thing no longer works for me. Also, manually logging exercise via MFP on the PC doesn't show up on the mobile app.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I just posted in the general weight loss section I'm having the same issue-keeps giving me extra calories then taking them away even though I've been active. I went to bed last night with a surplus of over 300 calories and woke up in the red.

That being said my tdee for Fitbit is way higher then what it's syncing to MFP. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Anyone know when this will be fixed? I just got my Fitbit this week so it's all new to me.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    At this point I am so glad that I am a data freak, and can comfortably look at my my records and match up my steps/active minutes/daily burn from today to previous dates with similar numbers.
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Jonna13 wrote: »
    Anyone know when this will be fixed? I just got my Fitbit this week so it's all new to me.

What a terrible first week. This glitch is pissing me off. I was patient for the first 5 days. Getting really frustrated now. Come on MFP!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    At this point I am so glad that I am a data freak, and can comfortably look at my my records and match up my steps/active minutes/daily burn from today to previous dates with similar numbers.

This is what I'm doing as well. I'm also in maintenance and trying to convince myself that this is a good opportunity to ride without training wheels and not rely so heavily on data but just trusting that I know about what I can eat and stay within maintenance.

It would be very frustrating if I were new or only recently got a Fitbit and wanted to understand how the systems work.