Food Shopping with FIT Goat

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
I went food shopping today.

d7oww4ghhykb.jpg

Mmm, ~40 pounds of beef, 6 pounds of bacon, ~6 pounds of lamb, 5 dozen eggs, and some butter and cheese. A bit pricey, but it will last me a few weeks. This represents all of my food for the next few weeks, unless we get something out of the house. This is what a carnivore's shopping cart might look like.

Replies

• vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    do you prefer to buy grass fed meat?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    do you prefer to buy grass fed meat?

All beef is grass fed beef. If you're asking if I prefer grass-finished beef over grain-finished beef, no, I do not. I much prefer the taste and fat content of grain finished. The cheaper cost is another benefit.
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    The reason I asked, many experts (Abel James, Dave Asprey and others) promote grass fed meat and butter. Not sure if it really matters. But its good to know that your success was not influenced by that
  • FIT_Goat
    edited January 2016
    Options
    We were just talking about this in another thread. Sadly, the site is too broken, right now, for me to find it. It is my belief that those "experts" are just wrong on this topic. For example, while you might get fat with a higher percentage of omega-3 (or whatever) from grass-finished beef, you get an equal amount of omega-3 by grams eating the conventional meat (simply because it has more fat overall). There is far too much omega-6 in the Standard American Diet (SAD), which means the 6:3 ratio is way off, but the solution isn't finding foods with more omega-3. The solution is eating less foods that are crazy-high in omega-6. Those foods are plant-oils, seeds, nuts, and grains. Hmm, most of those are cut in a low-carb diet. You've removed almost all of the problem.

It's like going from being a smoker to being a non-smoker. You've already improved your health so much that you don't need to worry about wearing a face mask all day to filter the air you're still breathing. Insisting on grass-finished is the same as wearing that face mask. You went from 10% ideal (SAD), to 99.996% ideal (low-carb), and you're not worried about becoming 99.997% ideal (grass-fed).
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a like button!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @FIT_Goat I would also like to say "like" or "thanks" for both the shopping cart and thoughts on Omega 3 n 6. I'd like to insert some over enthusisatic smiley emoticon or flowers but based on past experience know my post is likely to fail to post.. so please use your imagination
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    Do you also prefer to opt for organic stuff when you shop eg organic avacado, organic green leafy veg (i know FIT Goat) doesnt eat veggies ;)), or eggs. They are indeed more expensive , is it worth it in terms of the results you may have seen on yourself. Also do you prefer to shop at a farmers market versus chain grocery store such as traders Joe or wegmans?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Here's the other thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324422/grass-fed-vs-conventional-meat

I'll be the voice somewhat on the other side of the fence -- I do buy primarily organic and pastured foods. This isn't because pastured is better for weight loss or whatever, though (as I said in the other thread, it's not). I just like the taste better. When it comes to animal products, if it matters for overall health and quality, the bigger differences are likely in the poultry and pork products, due to those animals being omnivores and farther up the food chain (similar issue with toxin bio-accumulation as fish, as well as diet and environment that deviates more from their natural state). That said, I do it largely for the taste, as I like the taste of pastured animal products better overall (particularly beef, though I'm really more a fan of bison), and for the ethical/sustainability aspect of buying from local, sustainably-run farms.

Regarding plant foods, that's a bit more of a mixed bag. The plant foods we buy (moreso for my son and husband than me) are generally organic, largely because we go through a delivery service that focuses on local and organic foods. I generally don't particularly sweat over organic vs conventional, though. Any attention I pay is mostly toward the "dirty dozen" or the ones where you're most likely to be ingesting the insecticides and other chemicals they use in growing the produce that actually sits on the produce. These are usually things like lettuces and edible-skinned (and not scrubbable) produce. The notable exception is/was bananas, because in my experience, the organic ones lasted longer and tasted better. Other than that, there's not a whole lot of difference in the thick-skinned produce, since you're not eating the skin, where a lot of your direct contact with the chemicals comes from.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I try to buy local as often as I can, to support my local farms, eat fresh seasonal veg and to minimize the exposure to pollution by minimizing the length of travel between the farm and my plate. However, Avocados and lemons won't be growing in Scotland anytime soon, so we get those from Spain. I do try to buy organic lemons as I'll toss a slice in my water and I don't want a pesticide covered rind in my drinking water, but I don't worry about the avocados as they don't tend to have much in the way of pesticide exposure. I always buy organic green leafy veg. No need for me to go to the Farmer's markets, I can go straight to the farms.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Like dragonwolf said, eating more towards the bottom of the food chain (small fish or those with least Hg2+ accumulation; shrimp, crab, sardines, salmon...rarely chunk tuna, no albacore despite having the best taste/texture). Organic only if it is on the "dirty dozen" (kale).

Fit goat = modern day T-Rex
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I cut most of that meat up today. The edge scraps from the beef were tossed in a bowl. I had about 400 grams of beef scraps. So, I cut up about 400 grams of the leg of lamb and tossed the 50/50 mix into my grinder. It made some absolutely awesome burgers. I only ate two of them (400g) and will bring the other two with me for lunch tomorrow.

Now, the real question is, "how do I log this?" LOL, I am trying to get better about logging. I promised my friend that we would both log everything for a month. I haven't been 100%, yet, and it can be from stuff like this. I guess I could call it the same as 80/20 ground beef. It won't be too far off.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I so need to buy a grinder! I miss sausages. They are so high in carbs in the UK, they stuff them full of breading. They sell minced pork, but it's way too lean to make sausages, heck it's too lean to do anything with. I need to grind up my own mix.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing and for your thoughts on grass-finished vs grain-finished meat.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Great idea on the burgers. I got a meat grinder for Christmas, so the next time someone gives me bear meat or other game, I'm all set.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Our local butcher does a blend of half beef half bacon, if I had a grinder I'd be all over that
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Great idea on the burgers. I got a meat grinder for Christmas, so the next time someone gives me bear meat or other game, I'm all set.

Can some one throw some more light on meat grinder. Of course you can buy ground meat at local butcher shop or farmers market. What would be the advantage of buying a grinder.

FIT_Goat how did you make burger out of lamb meat? Just curious. I love lamb. I dont think grass fed lamb is can be easily bought in the US
  • FIT_Goat
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am pretty sure all lamb here is completely grass fed. I could be wrong about that, but I've never heard of them being fed grains to fatten them up.** How did I make the burgers out of lamb? Just cut the lamb leg up and threw it through the grinder. I mixed it with beef, but it would have worked fine with just lamb.

Some advantages, for me, are being able to grind my own sausage without fillers. I also buy large chunks of meat. When I cut it up, some of that meat will not make good steaks and there will be a lot of small bits that just don't have much practical purpose. I can take those and grind them into hamburger, which eliminates the waste. It also allows me to make my own ground meat mixes (like beef+lamb tonight) when the urge strikes me. The beef and bacon mix sounds awesome.

But, the real reason I bought it? That's a bit beyond what most people here would think of. I use it to make tartar. I know the machine is clean and can ensure the meat is handled reasonably well to reduce the risk. I like raw ground beef and raw lamb, especially with some salt and a raw egg yolk. I wouldn't feel comfortable eating most store-ground stuff raw. It was actually very hard for me to not just eat the burger mix raw tonight. In truth, I did eat about an ounce while grinding it. Now, in no way does anyone have to eat raw meat. I am on my own long strange trip.

**Edit: Further research suggests that many lambs are grain finished. I tend to buy a lot of NZ lamb (as it is just as common to see as domestic lamb), and that seems to all be grass fed.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    I would be concerned about buying store-bought ground meat due to the increased risk of contamination. I get ground meat from my farmers and trust that source. But I have long wanted a meat grinder because I have several friends who hunt and when I am presented with wild meat, I would like to grind some of it. I have bear meat in the freezer that would make very tasty meatballs or burgers. and since it is a tougher meat, it would benefit from being ground. I also make my own sausage meat.
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

**Edit: Further research suggests that many lambs are grain finished. I tend to buy a lot of NZ lamb (as it is just as common to see as domestic lamb), and that seems to all be grass fed.

I usually buy lamb or goat meat (mutton) from Asian Halal shop in PA. there are many in NJ area as well. they taste much better than the supermarket lamb packaged from australia
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I would be concerned about buying store-bought ground meat due to the increased risk of contamination. I get ground meat from my farmers and trust that source. But I have long wanted a meat grinder because I have several friends who hunt and when I am presented with wild meat, I would like to grind some of it. I have bear meat in the freezer that would make very tasty meatballs or burgers. and since it is a tougher meat, it would benefit from being ground. I also make my own sausage meat.

how easy/difficult it is to use a meat grinder? is it a bulky machine to be put on a kitchen table?. Do you pretreat them with salt pepper spices etc before you freeze them? lastly do you weigh them before you eat to assess your calorie intake?