Closing up Week 1 on Keto

Options
Tomorrow is the final day in Week 1 of dedicated keto. While I've been doing this for 2 weeks, the first week was super inconsistent. Noteworthy things this week:

1. I've lost 5 pounds!
2. I've discovered that this is completely doable - in fact, I love it!
3. I made bone broth for the first time - yum!
4. I made bulletproof coffee (with cocoa powder - thanks @lowjax75!) and it's delicious
5. I have more energy, less headaches, sleep better.

Where has Keto been all my life?!

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That's awesomeness right there! Congratulations!!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Awesome work and update!! Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the benefits, but remember, not all weeks, especially for us girls, are that good. Stay the course and keep pursuing your goals!!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    Awesome work and update!! Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the benefits, but remember, not all weeks, especially for us girls, are that good. Stay the course and keep pursuing your goals!!

I've been in a slump of losing 1-2lb a month for the past several months. Even if weeks are slow, I'm moving in the right direction! This is exciting! =)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I think we've all felt the same way at one time or another too.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    :) Congratulations. I love the first week of keto it's like stumbling upon nirvana.

Keep up your sodium, no matter what you think about how great you feel, keep upping the salt. Weeks 2 and 3 can be a rude awakening if you don't keep the electrolytes balanced.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    :) Congratulations. I love the first week of keto it's like stumbling upon nirvana.

Keep up your sodium, no matter what you think about how great you feel, keep upping the salt. Weeks 2 and 3 can be a rude awakening if you don't keep the electrolytes balanced.

Thanks for the recommendation! What do you recommend as far as sodium intake? I'm actually struggling to hit my normal daily goal, which is annoying. I guess most of my salt was coming from carbs? I made some bone broth - that's supposed to help, right?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yes bone broth is used by many. I've never made it. I use boullion cubes or salt in water. Get 3-5 grams a day, closer to 5 in the beginning.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Yes bone broth is used by many. I've never made it. I use boullion cubes or salt in water. Get 3-5 grams a day, closer to 5 in the beginning.

Holy geez.

How do you manage so much?! I'm sitting around 1,500 right now. I don't want low carb flu.

I'll do bullion - I like that! The bone broth is more fatty than salty. In fact, it's super greasy (and yummy). Other ideas?!
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Holy geez.

How do you manage so much?! I'm sitting around 1,500 right now. I don't want low carb flu.

I'll do bullion - I like that! The bone broth is more fatty than salty. In fact, it's super greasy (and yummy). Other ideas?!

Lots and lots of salt. Trust me it's not easy I hate bouillon, I love salt though. And after how I felt last week I'll gladly drink a glass of salt water to avoid that. Seriously get lots of it, if you've been that low all week you've likely lost potassium as well so add in some lite salt or potassium supplements avocados are good to for potassium, you should also get some magnesium supplements anything like magnesium citrate, or glycinate, or malate are the most absorbable. Pickle juice and dill pickles are good for sodium too.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Lots and lots of salt.

Thank you! I'll have to grab some salty products. In the meantime, I do have avocados, pickles, and bullion. I just checked my multivitamin and it's very low in magnesium and has NO potassium. I'll be buying some supplements, too. :neutral:
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    If you keep up on those you should not have any keto flu. I sent you a fr
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Using NuSalt or Lite Salt for your potassium will be cheaper than supplementing. Just a tip.
    And you can add salt and NuSalt to your bone broth and get the benefits of both at the same time.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Using NuSalt or Lite Salt for your potassium will be cheaper than supplementing. Just a tip.
    And you can add salt and NuSalt to your bone broth and get the benefits of both at the same time.

Thank you for the tip! Saving money is always a good thing =)