startig a new diet

Options
So I have decided to start a new diet. Right now I am eating just pure protein and no carbs. This a pretty difficult change for me. Not that I ate a lot of carbs to begin with, I just do not eat a lot of meat. Yesterday I ate so much chicken and fish but I still did not consume a bunch of calories. I do not eat red meat so a lot of the meat I do eat is very lean. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can continue to eat just protein but still eat enough calories? In 5 days i can start to introduce verggies to my diet. Its just getting to that point.

Replies

• megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert by any means, but i'm not in the mindset of completely depriving yourself of one type of food. i mean do what works for you - but for me, the only way i can stick with this is to allow myself everything i love (ie. beer, pizza, donuts - i sound like homer simpson...) but in moderation. so i guess my advice is, eat more protein if you want, but definitely add in some veggies and a few carbs here and there. i think it'll make it easier to stick to a calorie deficit in the end.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you're going to go on a high-protein diet you should do it in an educated manner. You usually calculate how much protein you should be eating by basing it on your muscle mass. I would read the books on this site: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

This subreddit discusses a short-term approach called a PSMF. Read the sidebar. But you could ask how to transition to eating habits you could sustain longterm. https://www.reddit.com/r/psmf
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You should have a little more fat - the healthy kind!! Add olive oil/coconut oil to the fish or chicken; 2 tablespoons of hemp seed has 7 grams protein and 1 carb.
  • kelsgrif84
    kelsgrif84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, but I don't think that depriving yourself of certain foods is a good idea. Try eating a more balanced diet rather than cutting foods that are beneficial to weight loss and muscle growth. High protein diets are great, but we need more than just protein to be healthy.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I recommend joining the Low Carber Daily Forum... The LCD Group, if you haven't already. There are lots of knowledgeable folks who have been no or low carb for years, and are great at answering questions about macros, food choices, etc.

I am LC, and stay around 50g a day. I make up for the rest of my calories in fat and protein. It took time to figure out the best macros for my needs.

Yes, definitely research! Best of luck meeting your goals.
  • luckyblueeye
    luckyblueeye Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eggs? I love, love eating steamed/boiled eggs. If you need the calories, keep the yolk. I personally hate that part so my calories are very low, but protein is high!
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I recommend joining the Low Carber Daily Forum... The LCD Group, if you haven't already. There are lots of knowledgeable folks who have been no or low carb for years, and are great at answering questions about macros, food choices, etc.

I am LC, and stay around 50g a day. I make up for the rest of my calories in fat and protein. It took time to figure out the best macros for my needs.

Yes, definitely research! Best of luck meeting your goals.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely go take a look at it. I just read yesterday about the fat content in my diet. SO I did increase that a little yesterday. I will admit that I am consuming much less than 50g of carbs at this point but I imagine I will be increasing that a little as time goes on.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You should have a little more fat - the healthy kind!! Add olive oil/coconut oil to the fish or chicken; 2 tablespoons of hemp seed has 7 grams protein and 1 carb.

I am not a big meat eater to begin with so my diet has always been filled with lots of fish and chicken. Now I am just not eating the amount of carbs I was consuming before. I cook with olive oil on a daily basis and I take coconut oil capsules in the morning. I have been doing that for some time as well. I was not aware of the hemp seed. Thank you for that. I will look into getting some.