Progress Report

Options
nicintime
nicintime Posts: 381 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
I don't post much, but I thought this might be valuable for some on their journey.

Started - Morbidly Obese, Crap Ton (that's a technical term) of weight to loose.

Strategy - 20 total carbs, don't worry about the other macros that much, and they seem to take care of themselves at about 75-20-5, don't measure ketones because I know at that level I'm in ketosis, only eat real food, discover awesome keto Kreativity in making this way of eating long term.

Strategy Update - realized I'm not eating enough protein (fat is SUPER easy), and so shifting my strategy to make sure I'm getting 150ish grams (I have a low and high range) per day. (6' male). I am actually limiting my fat a bit (heresy, I know), but doing it purposefully. I want my body to burn it's own fat, and I have seen that it will burn dietary fat first. So I'm still high fat, it's just that half of it comes from me not my plate. So far I can feel the difference. Initially, especially when starting morbidly obese, the ratios don't matter much and the weight will typically melt off, but as you get 6 months in or so if my dietary fat is too high weight loss slows and stalls. Making sure I get adequate protein and watch the fat a bit seems to do the trick. Once I hit maintenance my dietary fat will happily increase to 70 - 80 %!! Can't wait!!

Where I Am So Far: I am down 69.8 lbs since June 1st of last year. SO encouraged! At the same time my weight loss has slowed - here it is by month: 11.8, 12.4, 10.2, 8.6, 8.2, 7, 6.4, and finally in January I'm down 5.2 lbs more. I have fought between mild annoyance and almost discouragement at the trend, (I've still got at least 50ish pounds to go) but when my logical self takes over I realize it is quite normal for weight loss to slow over time. Those of you who started morbidly obese will understand, those who want to loose 20 or 30 to tone up might not. So, a slow down, but not a stall by any measurement. But I want patience and I want it NOW!! :-)

I know they aren't hugely accurate, but I've started using one of those scales that measure body fat%, Visceral fat levels, skeletal and muscle percentage, and BMI. I decided to do it once a month, and look at trends, which it seems like even if it isn't perfect could be helpful. It has been Very interesting! So, even though in January I lost 5.2 lbs, my scale says I gained 3 lbs in lean body mass, and my visceral fat went down from 22 to 21, and my body fat percentage went from 34.4 to 31.6, and skeletal & muscle went from 28.7 to 30.1. So.... the trend is in the right direction, and makes "only" 5.2 lbs loss easier to swallow. And still a LONG way to go, but BETTER!

This weight loss thing can be strange. I'm getting lots of comments (NOT why I'm doing this!) and going clothes shopping in my dusty old closets but the scale is really slow. I keep eyeing that visceral fat - "I'm coming for YOU!!!" My hip measurement dropped an inch, as did my thigh measurement, but waist and chest are the same?!?!? Nothing is linear, let alone where you want it to be.

Yeah, but eventually it will come.

Anyway, I don't share much of the day to day, but thought I'd throw this out there. I'm a Keto lifer now, loving this WOE, and fighting for a long term perspective / mentality.

Keep calm and keto on!

Replies

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Your progress is awesome! Congratulations! I look forward to many more successful updates!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :flowerforyou: And thanks for sharing, great info :+1:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Those are great accomplishments !
    You have given me something to think on, about consuming too much Fat.
    I , too, have plenty of excess fat, and I may be taking in too much, thinking it is the "match to my flame."
    This could explain my slooooow weight loss.
    Thanks!!
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Stay strong!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You're doing very well!
  • nicintime
    Options
    Those are great accomplishments !
    You have given me something to think on, about consuming too much Fat.
    I , too, have plenty of excess fat, and I may be taking in too much, thinking it is the "match to my flame."
    This could explain my slooooow weight loss.
    Thanks!!

There are different formulas to figure your protein range - I use Phinney and Volek's recommendations. Rule of thumb - keep your carbs low, eat to your protein range in grams, then limit your fat to a minimum 80 grams. That typically starts accelerating the fat burning. Once you've reached maintenance then you increase your fat calories till you stop losing weight, and then you find you are at about 75, 20, 5 on your macros. Count your intake in grams, not percent. You get that right and percentages take care of themselves.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Love the way you laid that out. :) and congratulations! Holy crap ton! 70 lbs since June is amazing! You've done a fantastic job. If you keep going at this rate you may be down over 100lbs after just one year of changed diet.... I bet you've floored your doctor! LOL ;)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • nicintime
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Love the way you laid that out. :) and congratulations! Holy crap ton! 70 lbs since June is amazing! You've done a fantastic job. If you keep going at this rate you may be down over 100lbs after just one year of changed diet.... I bet you've floored your doctor! LOL ;)

Ha! Can we not talk about doctors!? :smile:

Maybe this Summer I will be brave enough to actually find a doctor and have them go over me with a fine tooth comb. I am WAY overdue for my 100,000 mile check up and thankful I haven't blown a gasket or thrown a timing belt! :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Ha! Can we not talk about doctors!? :smile:

Maybe this Summer I will be brave enough to actually find a doctor and have them go over me with a fine tooth comb. I am WAY overdue for my 100,000 mile check up and thankful I haven't blown a gasket or thrown a timing belt! :smile:

LOL :D I hear you. I am going in for a check up this week, and even though this doctor is pro low carb, I'm still stupid nervous. Bah! LOL
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your journey! We've all had that moment of being a bit down about the scale not reflecting the efforts that we've put in. I'm down 60 pounds from my highest recorded weight, but it's taken me several years to get to this point...probably 5 years of half-a$$ing it and 2 of taking things seriously. My scale stopped moving a year ago, so I focused on my fitness and seeing what I could achieve physically. It was fun and I loved seeing my progress there, but I started to gain weight back....now I'm focusing on meeting my final weight goal, and I think it will be possible and I'm excited to celebrate that success. In fact, I moved my goal weight to 160-165, which is 10 pounds less than my original goal because I don't want to short-change myself on reaching this goal. Why settle for mediocre? I'm worth more than that! Thanks again for sharing! It's very encouraging and motivating!