Oprah REALLY loves bread!

Replies

• KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    I tried WW a few years ago. I did the online plan for about 6 months. I lost NOTHING. They were doing the program where many vegetables and fruits were 0 points, which doesn't really make sense to me. I've had much better success counting calories with MFP, and it's free!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    KaseyDH83 wrote: »
    I tried WW a few years ago. I did the online plan for about 6 months. I lost NOTHING. They were doing the program where many vegetables and fruits were 0 points, which doesn't really make sense to me. I've had much better success counting calories with MFP, and it's free!

When I went back and tried the plan you're referring to (Points Plus) I did it online for 4 months and after an initial 2-lb loss the first week, I also lost nothing. (I had a very hard time shedding the last 10-15 lbs of twin pregnancy weight so that was my goal at the time.) The scale would just wobble up and down a few pounds for months. I tried tweaking a few things, still nothing. Then I did 4 months of calorie counting on MFP and had the exact same experience. *Then* I went LC (Dukan at the time) and lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    I remember doing WW with my Mother and one of her friends. Want to talk about awkward for a 13 or 14 yo boy? I mostly remember that after the meeting we would go to Harvey's for a cheeseburger. LOL

For sure the only good thing about WW is the group support. Otherwise it's just an overpriced, complicated CICO plan. I've done the CICO thing my whole life and never had any sustainable results. Only time will tell if I can maintain this LCHF WOE but it sure feels better and seems like something I can do long term. Straight CICO diets are far to reliant on being hungry and deprived to last for the long haul. Nevermind the fact that your body adapts to the lower energy inputs.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    @daylitemag I did Nutrisystem with my dad at 13, also not fun. There were no meetings, it was basically a CICO program with packaged food. All low fat high carb junk. But I remember going to pick up our mini packages of high carb low cal snacks and dehydrated meals and stopping by Jack in the Box for burgers on the way home lol. If only I'd known then that all I needed to do was skip the fries and ditch the bun and ketchup! Then I could have avoided the space food :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    The love of bread and carbs in general almost took me out I now realize. It now blows my mind watching how much bread others eat when I eat out.
  • daylitemag
    The love of bread and carbs in general almost took me out I now realize. It now blows my mind watching how much bread others eat when I eat out.

I hear that. Had lunch out with my wife and daughter to celebrate our not so little ones 18th. We went to an upscale burger joint. We all had basically the same thing but I skipped the bun and the fries. I found myself looking at the size of these big fluffy white buns they were eating. I was trying to mentally calculate how many days worth of carbs just one bun would equate to. On the upside I wasn't even remotely tempted to eat one, so that's good.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    daylitemag wrote: »

I hear that. Had lunch out with my wife and daughter to celebrate our not so little ones 18th. We went to an upscale burger joint. We all had basically the same thing but I skipped the bun and the fries. I found myself looking at the size of these big fluffy white buns they were eating. I was trying to mentally calculate how many days worth of carbs just one bun would equate to. On the upside I wasn't even remotely tempted to eat one, so that's good.

That's exactly what happened with us last night. I got a double bacon cheeseburger no bun with a side salad, he got a regular burger with bun with fries. Mine was delicious, his too probably, but I realized all the good stuff is the middle the bun just makes it easy to pick up. In the past I wouldn't had a burger with the bun but with nothing in it, no cheese, no bacon, no asiago, no nothing, and I still wouldn't lose weight. No thanks, I'll keep my delicious covered in cheese and bacon burger, they can keep they're lousy bun
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    What's surprising to me isn't that she loves her bread (it's yummy) it's that she's such a zealot about a new diet after all these years and all the diets she's been on. Even now, she's sure THIS is the one.
  • daylitemag
    What's surprising to me isn't that she loves her bread (it's yummy) it's that she's such a zealot about a new diet after all these years and all the diets she's been on. Even now, she's sure THIS is the one.

Don't we all think "this is the one!?" I know I do, even though the history of my entire life has proven otherwise. We have to have hope and be optimistic. However, in Oprah's case I'm pretty sure it's all about the Benjamins. I seriously doubt that someone with her money needs or would ever use WW. She has a private chef, at least one trainer and a medical team all on her permanent staff. Which now that I think of it really says something about how hard it is to lose and keep off the weight. I mean, if someone with that much professional support (and who lives under constant media scrutiny) can't do it then.......
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    @daylitemag YES!!! Exactly. But I swear, LCHF really, really is the one :smile: now I don't have to worry about trying to afford a personal chef, trainer and medical team lol
  • daylitemag
    @PaleoInScotland I feel similarly. This WOE really does feel different and sustainable.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Oprah has made many wise decisions. That's why she's richer than Queen Elizabeth. But one of her really BAD choices was to write a book some years ago about how she and her personal trainer Bob Greene had once and for all times solved her weight issues. Complete with a slew of photographs, an even worse decision than writing the book in the first place.

I've had my own weight issues for a long time but at least no one can whip out a hardback book and shove it in my face.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Don't we all think "this is the one!?" I know I do, even though the history of my entire life has proven otherwise. We have to have hope and be optimistic. However, in Oprah's case I'm pretty sure it's all about the Benjamins. I seriously doubt that someone with her money needs or would ever use WW. She has a private chef, at least one trainer and a medical team all on her permanent staff. Which now that I think of it really says something about how hard it is to lose and keep off the weight. I mean, if someone with that much professional support (and who lives under constant media scrutiny) can't do it then.......

I don't think it's about the money. She doesn't need money. She is probably thinking (again): if I do it in the public eye, the public will hold me accountable.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I saw this on reddit a few days ago. I have to wonder if there really are couples that argue over the last piece of bread. I know I've seen couples fight over one of them smoking the last cigarette, so I don't doubt it!
    d8tgth57ko9y.png
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member

Totally.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited February 2016
    Yup, she owns a big stake in WW now: http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2015/10/19/weight-watchers-oprah-winfrey/#56f71567b3bf

OCT 19, 2015

Oprah Pays $43 Million For Weight Watchers Stake, Stock Spikes

Shares of Weight Watchers were soaring on Monday after billionaire media mogul Oprah Winfrey announced she has taken a 10% stake in the weight loss company.

Winfrey will spend $43 million on the investment, according to a regulatory filing, buying 6.4 million newly-issued shares at $6.79 apiece. Winfrey will also receive options to acquire an additional 5% stake.

“Weight Watchers has given me the tools to begin to make the lasting shift that I and so many of us who are struggling with weight have longed for,” said Winfrey, a member, in a statement. “I believe in the program so much I decided to invest in the company and partner in its evolution.”

Winfrey will also join the board of directors and act as an adviser for the company.

Shares of Weight Watchers soared 92%, or $6.27 per share, on the news.

“Through our conversations, it became clear that there is tremendous alignment between Oprah’s intention and our mission,” said Weight Watchers CEO Jim Chambers in a statement. Chambers noted that the company hopes to become more about leading a happy, healthy life rather than just losing weight, and Winfrey should be of help toward that end.

... the rest of the story
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    KaseyDH83 wrote: »

I've done WW about 4 different times for 4-6 months each time, and NEVER lost more then 3 lbs...and that would yo-yo up and down during the entire time. I see these people who attend the meetings and they are so gung-ho with buying the premade foods and starving themselves (seriously, I had friends who wouldn't eat anything and only drink 8 glasses of water, the two days before the weigh in), but they did not learn anything of value for their body and they never maintained weight loss.

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member

Don't we all think "this is the one!?"

Unfortunately, no.

I'm not here by choice, and there are several elements of this diet that make it much harder for me than the one on which I maintained weight loss for around 5 years (until my daughter was diagnosed with a chronic, life-threatening illness, my spouse was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment consistent with early stage alzheimers, my client lost our major client, etc.)

I have no doubt that I will reach my goal, and maintain it for several months. For me, that is the easy part. I'm just hoping that I will be able to keep medical necessity (diabetes) in the forefront of my mind, once I the daily drag of counting not only calories but carbs wears me out and I start skipping the tracking. (Neither the counting nor the tracking were required on the most successful change in diet I've undertaken.)
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    My neighbor has done ww, jenny craig and never lost more than a 15lbs or so and then she gains then right back. She's already thin, by my standards, but she has some "grandmotherly fluff" to her. Now she's on this new kick where she pays $200 a month to have a body fat scan done, then a personal trainer does a workout plan for her for the next month based on her body fat composition and where she is holding wait and a dietitian makes a special diet for her each month. Last month she was eating nothing but boiled chicken with no seasoning, brown rice, broccoli and Cheerios's with watered down further skim milk. Yuck. I'll take KETO any day... and the joy of watching her grimace when I tell her i'm down almost 10 pounds eating butter in a couple weeks and she's struggling to lose 3 pounds a month.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    I saw this on reddit a few days ago. I have to wonder if there really are couples that argue over the last piece of bread. I know I've seen couples fight over one of them smoking the last cigarette, so I don't doubt it!
    d8tgth57ko9y.png

My father and I have always "fought" (playfully, sometimes sneakily) over the end pieces of a loaf of crusty French or Italian bread. He's the one who taught me to love them, and then I started stealing them from him. It's okay, he loves me. I'm a Daddy's girl. :tongue: