Cooking meat observation

Options
mcpostelle
mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
I've been wondering if anybody else has had a change in preference in the way they cook their meats, exclusively referring to steaks in this context. I was raised to always eat very tough well done steaks; however, now that I eat a LOT more meat I've noticed that I prefer my steaks to be borderline medium-medium well. :yum: A year ago it bothered me to the point of disgust, but now I find it delicious and more edible. Anybody else have this change of taste from LC/keto?

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I like mine medium- rare to medium. A tender cut of steak gets tougher the longer you cook it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I prefer rare to medium now. Before LCHF I preferred medium well.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think it's less a factor of low carb causing taste preference to change, but if you are eating steak with more frequency you're going to realize that less than medium is objectively better.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I never even liked steak before this WOE. Now a medium rare filet is my favorite thing!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I think @kirkor hit the nail on the head. I used to eat my steaks medium well until I started taking cooking classes and interviewing chefs for a magazine. I learned how to cook beef the right way :smile: The more you cook it and eat it, the more you learn how to do it right!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bake it at 320 degrees. That's the safest way.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm the minority, but I like mine blue and have since I was a kid!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I think it's less a factor of low carb causing taste preference to change, but if you are eating steak with more frequency you're going to realize that less than medium is objectively better.

+1

I ate medium for decades, but I now choose medium rare. Hubby always chose medium well, but he prefers medium rare now too.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

I think this is very true. I've noticed the same thin with my bacon and eggs. Because I'm cooking them so often I'm becoming something of an expert. It stand to reason that the more we practice something the better we get. I used to struggle to cook a steak the way I like it best (medium rare) but that was when I only did it a few times per year. Now I can get a perfect steak everytime.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I sear the outside and the inside is generally still cool.
  • jesslintch
    jesslintch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've always thought when it is done moo-ing it is done cooking.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've always preferred medium-rare. And as @daylitemag wrote, I too have become a much better cook at perfecting the best flavors and timing of everything. One thing that has changed is that I used to buy very lean cuts of meat, now I seek out steaks that you can see a lot fat and I never cut it off, so the meat cooks better and stays tender.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would be perfectly happy to eat steak raw, but seared on the outside/rare on the inside is good too. I've started liking fattier steaks than I used to eat.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I grew up thinking the only way to eat steak was with Heinz 57 sauce because my dad cooked the very few (cheap) steaks we had well done. I (and my indoctrinated children) eat steaks rare to medium-rare. Medium is overdone.

I also cook burgers at home to medium for me.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    med-rare4life
  • mcpostelle
    Options
    Awesome feed back everyone! Honestly, I wish I was more willing to eat med-rare steaks just due to how much faster meal prep would be and juicy. I'm still hung up over the blood oozing out though. :mask: But hopefully I can get over that soon.

@kirkor I do believe this is the case. Not yet past medium though.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jesslintch wrote: »

Wait...you're supposed to wait until it's done mooing?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mcpostelle wrote: »
    Awesome feed back everyone! Honestly, I wish I was more willing to eat med-rare steaks just due to how much faster meal prep would be and juicy. I'm still hung up over the blood oozing out though. :mask: But hopefully I can get over that soon.

@kirkor I do believe this is the case. Not yet past medium though.

That's not blood. It's called myoglobin, a type of protein.
  • mcpostelle
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    jesslintch wrote: »

Wait...you're supposed to wait until it's done mooing?

:lol:
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @mcpostelle sear your meat at a nice high temperature and be sure to let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it so the juices get a chance to soak back in evenly, you'll have less of the juices spilling all over your plate that way :smile: