Spending Your Calories

lizadaze
lizadaze Posts: 118 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Melissa's mid week update got me to thinking. She wrote about having a not so great lunch but making and educated decision because the calorie information was posted on the menu.

I have to say that I wasn't such a fan of the menu calorie notices when it first started a few years ago. However, I now find it very helpful. Actually shockingly so sometimes. Like who knew that a muffin from just about anyplace was higher in calories and fat that an average piece of cake or a cookie? Or that swapping out a Starbucks regular blended coffee drink with the "skinny" latte could actually count as a fairly decent breakfast or snack? I know these things now because I study those menus and I log my food. So thank you Michael Bloomberg and others who lobbied for this public health promotion in the USA.

I am trying to approach calories like I do spending my hard earned money. So I have to ask myself, "do I really want to spend xx calories on that?" Like there is a cost to those calories that have to be reconciled somewhere else in the day or week.

It's a weird and small thing, but oddly enough, it works for me!

Replies

• kesslemg
    kesslemg Posts: 47 Member
    I do the same thing. Calories are like money. I did even out my lunch choice yesterday with a healthy dinner of salad, acorn squash, and pork tenderloin. I also had a snack last night after the boys went to bed because I was STARVING. It was a fairly healthy snack. In the end, I managed to finish right at my calorie budget!
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Yep, it was the one great take away from WW. Calories (their points) should be budgeted to start each day. I try to plan each day so I know what meal is going to be highest in calories; deduct it from the account and then figure out how to get the most bang for my buck with the balance :)
  • kesslemg
    MyBoyG wrote: »
    Yep, it was the one great take away from WW. Calories (their points) should be budgeted to start each day. I try to plan each day so I know what meal is going to be highest in calories; deduct it from the account and then figure out how to get the most bang for my buck with the balance :)

You are a former WW member as well?! It's amazing how those things stick with you! I joined WW 17 years ago and lost 60+ lbs before my wedding. I kept it off quite awhile and then had kids. They definitely changed EVERYTHING!!
  • lizadaze
    So true! I'm also a former WW member and it does work. But I like using MFP for calorie management, because the TYPE of calories also matter a lot to me. I could spend my budget (love thinking of it as a budget), on refined carbs and processed food and still be within my calorie goal. BUT, I would likely not get in enough protein.

I had a rough day at work, but thinking about logging my food actually kept me on track during a work lunch. While I took a piece of cheese pizza, I decided that eating all of it wasn't worth the calorie and carb spend. So I just ate two bites of it and then had some salad and grilled chicken. I couldn't believe I threw away the rest of that pizza, but that's exactly what I did and I'm quite pleased that I gave it a second thought even after I'd put it on my plate.
  • kesslemg
    That's awesome! Good job for getting rid of that pizza! I'm sitting in dairy queen right now with my son. I forgot his dinner on the counter! :'( He had football and then we have about 45 minutes to get to cub scouts. Thursday evenings are terrible! I got him good but didn't order myself anything. I'll eat at home after I drop him off.
  • lizadaze
    Wow that takes some willpower to be at Dairy Queen. Seriously, I love that place but luckily there aren't any near me at all!
  • Sillybee727
    Sillybee727 Posts: 131 Member
    I think having a piece of pizza on your plate and tossing it takes some serious willpower lizadaze! Good job
This discussion has been closed.