How to lose weight with hypo?

Options
sammyre12
sammyre12 Posts: 29 Member
It has been a month since I have cut out ALL gluten along with unhealthy sugars. I lost about 6lbs in two weeks but the last two weeks the scale hasn't budged. Not even an ounce.

Replies

• sammyre12
    Options
    Didn't post the rest for some reason. I don't have cheat days and haven't cheated at all. I started working out a week ago. It's discouraging and I can't get the scale to move. :(
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Have patience - weight loss is not linear.

As long as you are keeping within your caloric intake goal it will happen. If it doesn't then review your logs and ensure you are accounting for everything.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's also not all about weight. It's inches too. Give yourself more time. Water weight is easy to gain and lose, but the real deal happens much more gradually and in longer lengths of time.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    For me, I cannot eat any of my exercise calories back at all. For me, I also stop eating when I'm full and only eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes that means I'm done by 3:30 in the afternoon. I also have to keep active every day. I also take Vit D3 & calcium. For whatever reason, Vit D3 helps keep my body in balance when I'm trying to lose weight. I also take my thyroid med in the middle of the night. (I have to get up & "go" anyway). No chance there of screwing that dosage up with too much food or starving while I'm waiting for the time to pass.

Don't give up....you'll see what works for YOU. Sometimes with a crappy thyroid you just have to see what works for you and what doesn't.
  • sammyre12
    Options
    Saw my endocrinologist today. He said to eat no more than 1200 calories and if I don't see results to drop down to 1000 calories. He also said I have to exercise everyday and burn at least 600 calories from it. He said I would be hungry. Omgeez I get headaches all the time and feel like I'm starving already.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    sammyre12 wrote: »
    Saw my endocrinologist today. He said to eat no more than 1200 calories and if I don't see results to drop down to 1000 calories. He also said I have to exercise everyday and burn at least 600 calories from it. He said I would be hungry. Omgeez I get headaches all the time and feel like I'm starving already.

Is your endocrinologist also a dietitian/nutritionist? I ask because medical training barely scratches the surface of the science behind weight management and this sounds like very generic one size fits all (and very poor) advice. What does MFP give you for caloric intake?
  • sammyre12
    Options
    It says 1200 Calories but when I work out it gives me a few hundred more that apparently I'm not aloud to cover for. He actually deals with weight loss and any type of metabolism problems. He would have to know about nutrition.., at least I would hope so. I don't like the advice because I'm hungry all the time
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    wow 1200 is low... if you start eating a lot less than you should, your body will go into starvation mode and will eat away at muscle not fat. The idea is a little bit at a time slowly.

For a women we should be eating around 2000 calories per day. For weight loss of approx. 0.25kg per week it brings it down to around 1650 calories. If you then exercise (I'm in the gym 5 days a week doing various cardio activities) you will earn calories to add on top of the original amount.

I have a fitbit surge which is linked to MFP and tracks everything I do. I've lost 10kg over 9-10 months. I've had good days and bad days in that time, and I'm pretty pleased (so is my endo) with the amount I have lost.

Today I started with 1480 calories (I've gone lower because of the amount of exercise I now do), and have done 1hr cardio and will do 45mins strength/weight training. I've added an extra 376 calories, meaning I actually have 1856. I don't eat back all of my exercise calories, but its good to do at least half.

Also a lot of people with thyroid diseases (or no thyroid like me) find a low carb, high fat diet a better option. I've cut down on bread, pasta and potato and found I was a lot less bloated and having tummy issues.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Following on from CSA. I agree your endo is not giving you information which is necessarily specific to yourself. Many times I've read dieting and hypothyroidism do not rest well together. Dieting can reduce your metabolism as does hypothyroidism, causing a very sluggish set of systems, forming an ever decreasing circle. Also in some situations exercise can also be counter productive. Not to mention on 1200 calories per day it is very difficult to get your macros right leaving you at risk of some form of malnutrition. Those who are naturally more active or younger need more. For some of us other glands in our endocrine system may also be deficient. I'm wondering if you were tested for that possibility or even for Hashimoto's. More extensive testing is generally done by medics of a more functional persuasion, those who see the body as a whole rather than individual unrelated fragments. These people are rare. A Gp probably has a list one must conform to, too bad if you can't!

I note your first post was on the 27th of January. If your within a month of commencing a dietary restriction you will have probably lost what many call, water weight, after this weight loss should naturally slow to a pound or so a week, this is deemed to be a healthy loss. Your body may still be getting used to how you are now eating and may need to realise you are treating it better. Weight loss can be higher for those with more to loose, if you are not much above your best weight the harder it is to loose that weight. Weight loss is not liner, menstrual cycles will make a difference, some of us retain more fluid than others. (A long or irregular cycle can indicate the involvement of other endocrine glands too). I hope you are maintaining good levels of hydration. Adequate hydration/fluids enables your systems to eliminate by-products of "living" which in turn will reduce pressure on the general endocrine system.

Along with reducing your added sugars, are you doing anything else which could encourage your digestive tract to work better? Many of us have read of "leaky gut", and possibly some know of "low acid levels" which is most likely when your older/elderly, these can contribute to the digestive system not making the most of the food we give it. Many things can cause gut issues, over use, even possibly use of antibiotics, other medications/pills, stress, too much sugar or yeast, poor diet - too much prepared carbohydrate, to mention a few can reduce our most beneficial bacteria some of which are yeasts. Thyroid problems and our dietary requirements are not a simple one size fits all thing.

Concentrated fruit juices are high sugar where as in general the fruit with the fibres are less so. Pineapple, grapes and dried fruits are also high in sugar Ensuring you have a good range of green vegetables/salads with your meals would help. If you can use olive oil and coconut oil as well this will help more. They have a natural inbuilt control for the less helpful bacteria which tend to "overgrow". The increased veggies with or without the oils encourage our more vulnerable bacteria increasing the chances of your system getting back into balance again. Using natural yoghurt can be helpful, having other foods which are fermented may also help as could pre-biotics. Along side the natural control (salicylate) in olive and coconut oil, they are made up of short chain fatty acids which make them more accessible to digestion and our bodies, some say coconut oil predisposes the body to use fat stores. (An area for personal research.)

(Doing this for under 4 months made it possible for me to eat salicylate containing foods in moderation when before they added to my long list of avoids for many years. Just proves our bodies are all different in how they behave and can be modified for the better.)

This "foods you must avoid", it all gets so very very complicated. Not everyone with Hashimotos reacts to wheat/flour and gluten. (I don't. it was yeast) Some react to dairy, many say it is lactose but it is more likely to be the protein casein because its a more common reaction. (This was me.) There are 4 kinds of casein, cow dairy is predominantly type 1. Goat is predominantly type 2 and is most like human milk, this for some may make all the difference making cheeses possible again. Sheep I've not looked into. Soy is also a personal thing you may or may not react its not compulsory. Broccoli is good for you because of the nutrition it contains for your digestion but many say to blindly avoid crucifiers, plants which have cross shaped flowers. Without proper direction its a mine field, you can make things much worse than they need be.

You probably need to do your own research and or find a nutritionist who looks at the science of you. Only omit foods you know do not agree with you. Defining all this by yourself is not easy, symptoms overlap so very much.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    also to add as you're hypo... having the right dose, and your levels being Optimal is key to you loosing weight. If they're not right then its going to be a struggle.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    Assuming you're of smaller stature then, MFP is pretty accurate for most, but all these calculations are based on population statistics, so you may need to tweek them a bit to suit you. Most of all be patient and remember you are in this for life, not just a few days/weeks/months. The weight loss rate will also vary depending on how much weight you want/need to lose.

As Fuzzipeg mentioned hydration is key and can also help sustain hunger. Drink 1 8oz glass of water ~30 mins prior to a meal and this will help the satiation factor. Also numerous other benefits and the ultimate "cleanser". Hydration is particularly important for those of us with thyroid disorders.

• sammyre12
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input and experiences. I have cut out a lot from my diet and I eat almost paleo style. I haven't really noticed a significant difference thus far. I am really short so that could be why mfp put my calories so low. I am only 4"11. I do feel that I should consult with my doctor about seeing another endocrinologist. I have been having a few problems since he has raised my dosage. Menstraul cycle has been affected pretty badly where as I have never had a problem before. Extreme fatigue and constant migraines are also a side effect from the dosage. Just praying the next endo gives me a better outcome. I've been with my current endo for a year and feel no closer to living the life I once had before the diagnosis of hypothyroidism.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    All the best, I know what you mean when you say, "I've been with my current endo for a year and feel no closer to living the life I once had". I hope you are able to see a different endocrinologist. I made a similar request of my doctor a year ago for the self same reason. His reply three months later when I went back saying as he had come up with nothing this far.... His reply was to increase my t4 dose by 25 thingies. Which did something but not for long.....similar to before. (this can be a regular problem because its not the right fit for you. The "system" seems to dictate some of us have become square pegs in round holes) Have you read the "contra indications" on the sheet which comes with your medication? Just a thought. Your doctor may not have these in his/her mind.

Once you have a hypothyroid diagnosis all other doors seem to close. Have you been told you do not have antibodies which confirm Hashimoto's? they often reckon these make no difference, I'm sure if one is producing antibodies something is causing them, if they helped you to find what was the cause it might be possible to reduce them.

Reading of your menstrual difficulties causes me to wonder if you have pituitary fatigue. This is another organ in the endocrine system as are the adrenal glands which can under perform as can others. For what ever reason they can fail to produce one or more of the handful of hormones they are supposed to which are essential to our bodies and then put pressure on other parts of the endocrine system. Here in the UK and Europe the door for these investigations is most definitely closed unless you have someone who goes that extra mile. I've gone outside the NHS now in my 60's to try to get myself back before it is too late.

I used, Stop the thyroid madness site, our national thyroid site and the American, Canadian and Australian teaching Hospital/ University sites, and those of functional medics, there are others but blogs are not always to be trusted. I suggest read what you can before you have another appointment so you can understand and not simply take what you are told. Question what you do not understand. Please know there may be other forms of t4 available, fillers and binders can cause issues, some of us need t3 which should be available for them. Others do better on NDT, Natural Thyroid, animal hormones. (Doctors do not like to prescribe these even though they work because they are Old unreliable Medicine), Even in Europe these should be available.

If your current dietary changes are not proving helpful please try going back to more how you used to eat. Keep good levels of green veg and fruits as well as fermented foods, these should help your personal digestive system also go easy on the preprepared foods which may hold extra/hidden salt and sugars to those made in your own home. Diet foods are the worst. Much of today's science is pointing to imbalances here causing/contributing to numerous health problems.

I hope you find your own personal answers sooner than I. When a body in difficulties can choose its own permutation of some 300 symptoms as many or as few as it likes, it can be like finding needles in a haystack achieving your own answers.
  • dede39
    dede39 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sammyre12 wrote: »
    Saw my endocrinologist today. He said to eat no more than 1200 calories and if I don't see results to drop down to 1000 calories. He also said I have to exercise everyday and burn at least 600 calories from it. He said I would be hungry. Omgeez I get headaches all the time and feel like I'm starving already. [/quote

That's crazy. You can only do that for so long. That's not healthy calorie count.your body is going to hit starvation mode.
  • Caitu13
    Caitu13 Posts: 55 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My old endro also told me this and it just cannot happen that way. My new endro, also said to not go below 1200 especially with the hypo. I don't see how your doc can tell you to do that!
  • sammyre12
    Options
    Caitu13... I know I disagree with everything he says. I'm also sick of taking synthroid and levothyroxine. I've read a lot about NDT and I'm finally seeing a new endo March 17th and she prescribes NDT. I'm super excited and can't wait :)
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    Good for you! Bad docs should be dropped like a bad habit. Just as in all relationships there has to be two way communication. If that isn't happening its time to shop for a new model.

Professionals back up their statements with objective evidence, not letters behind their name.
  • ssmix
    ssmix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I had a heck of a time losing weight, but I started the autoimmune Protocol diet and have had great success. However, I should tell you that it is very strict and severe - and in my case the change in my body and the way I feel has been so pronounced that I don't ever want to go back to the way I was. In order for me to maintain I will never be able to go back to my old eating habits, which the with the way I've been feeling - I fine with it.
  • debycoles
    debycoles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've found this thread really interesting. My situation is slightly different but the results are the same. I'm over-active, Graves Disease, so I take a tiny amount of Carbimazole 2.5mg a day to bring my hormone levels down to normal. But weight loss issues aren't just for those who are hypo. For me, since starting the meds I've gone from normal eating and stable weight to huge weight gains.
    Now I eat a max of 1000 cals a day, usually less, an average of 823 per day the last month. I do a 2-3 mile run and an aerobics class every day, so I burn plenty of calories from exercise.
    But still weight loss is near impossible for me. I'm overweight, gained an extra 1.2 pounds last week and can't see an end to it. I really wish there was more help available for all of us with thyroid issues of one sort or another in terms of our nutrition and weight. But seeing the blood results in normal range seems to be all our physicians care about, even if I did waddle in to the surgery at 400lbs that's Ok with them so long as my blood work looks ok!
    OK, rant over! Eat well everyone.
  • sammyre12
    Options
    Update: :) I decided that I really disagree with my endo and refused to make myself starve and eat less than 1000 calories. I'm happy to say that I saw a new doctor today who is all about how you feel and not only the numbers. She is letting me make the decision on medicine and I have read a lot about NDT. She prescribed it for me and I can't wait to start it tomorrow. She also is doing a saliva swab that I've never heard of before. She said it will test everything and find out the root cause of what's causing my thyroid to not work right. I feel like I'm on the right track and I'm so glad I found someone who will listen to me. I quit ( which is not good) taking my levothyroxine a few weeks ago due to my awful symptoms including hair loss before seeing the new doctor. I've lost another five lbs. I hope for all of you that if you are not happy with your endo or feel like they don't listen to what you have to say that you will not take NO for an answer. You need to be your own advocate and voice. Speak up and keep searching. Don't give up. I truly believe if you have any symptoms or trouble with weight loss it is because your thyroid is still not corrected. Even if it is in range. Keep searching for a new doctor. There will be one who will listen. I was diagnosed only a year and a half ago. I'm not going to be another story where it took me 20 years to feel normal again. Listen to your body. I hope this encouraged at least one of you. Best of luck to you all and thank you so much for all the info and help.