Marmite

Options
Just had a quick Google and can't find anything on keto diet and marmite! It only appears to have 1g per 4g. Yeast extract has 0g !!

Anyone have any idea if it should be ok and what they would have it with!!

Only asking because I've heard some foods can take you out of keto even though low in carbs.

Thanks and sorry for two posts in such short time space :)

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't know what marmite is...
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha Vegemite has the least carbs, then Marmite, then Promite but I just spread a bit on a piece of cheese for an after dinner snack. Never had any issues. If it fits under your daily goal then it works :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Marmite uuugghhh :sick: Go for the real deal, vegemite! :drinker:
  • pippacorcoran
    pippacorcoran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Haha I didn't even know about vegemite but I do love marmite and having it on some cheese is a good idea thank you!! :) thanks for your replies
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Marmite is a staple in our half Kiwi household. So much salty goodness! Plus packed with vitamins. I often use it to flavor sauces.
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    Marmite is a staple in our half Kiwi household. So much salty goodness! Plus packed with vitamins. I often use it to flavor sauces.

I'm so excited to buy some tomorrow and it's full of fibre :)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I got given a personalised marmite jar for Christmas, with my name on. I am an Aussie and I think my friend who is Britsh and her kids are trying to convert me. Australia day tomorrow. Time for a taste off?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I got given a personalised marmite jar for Christmas, with my name on. I am an Aussie and I think my friend who is Britsh and her kids are trying to convert me. Australia day tomorrow. Time for a taste off?

Do it, just do it :lol: I'd be interested to hear your opinion on marmite.
  • pippacorcoran
    Options

Let us know what you think! :)
  • SamandaIndia
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @pippacorcoran and @Christine_72 taste off done. Imo Vegemite wins, but closer than I expected. I like the caramel colour and honey/treacle consistency of marmite whereas vegemite is almost solid and black. In comparison to vegemite, Marmite tastes saltier and has more of a sharp metallic taste which I dont like as much as vegemite.

I read the labels after and was relieved my taste buds reflect the nutrition labels. 9.8g salt/100g in marmite whereas vegemite has 8.75g salt per 100g. Label wise vegemite is sweeter but I didn't notice that. Perhaps another taster needed?

Experimental conditions: 3 low carb crackers as bases: plain, with butter and with philadelphia cream cheese. One half marmite and one half vegemite. Similar thickness on each cracker. I prefer butter with vegemite best. Butter and philadelphia cream i think balance the salt out of both products. A little of either goes a long way.
  • SamandaIndia
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Marmite found to be more meaty-umami and smoky, with a more rounded flavor than Vegemite, and pleasantly reminiscent of beef bouillon. But on toast, coolbean98 prefers the lighter, saltier taste of Vegemite. A second blind taster considered the Marmite milder, but still found the Vegemite delicious despite its more harsh taste.

The final taster found both "gnarly." Marmite was more sour and less flavorful, while Vegemite tasted "more like fake meat." Clearly, yeast extracts are not for everyone!

Above from http://www.chowhound.com/food-news/138950/marmite-and-vegemite-what-s-the-difference/

Looks like other folk find marmite more mild n vegemite percieved as saltier even though there is a little more salt in marmite.
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    @pippacorcoran and @Christine_72 taste off done. Imo Vegemite wins, but closer than I expected. I like the caramel colour and honey/treacle consistency of marmite whereas vegemite is almost solid and black. In comparison to vegemite, Marmite tastes saltier and has more of a sharp metallic taste which I dont like as much as vegemite.

I read the labels after and was relieved my taste buds reflect the nutrition labels. 9.8g salt/100g in marmite whereas vegemite has 8.75g salt per 100g. Label wise vegemite is sweeter but I didn't notice that. Perhaps another taster needed?

Experimental conditions: 3 low carb crackers as bases: plain, with butter and with philadelphia cream cheese. One half marmite and one half vegemite. Similar thickness on each cracker. I prefer butter with vegemite best. Butter and philadelphia cream i think balance the salt out of both products. A little of either goes a long way.

I've not tried vegimite! Gonna have to now :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Thanks for the update @SamandaIndia :smiley: I was a kid when I tried Marmite, so my taste may have changed since then... It's been burned into our brain that choosing marmite over vegemite is blasphemous lol :lol:

Pippa I guess it comes down what you're used to. Some folks hate vegemite and love marmite and vice versa. Americans think we're crazy for eating either one!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Love marmite, only reason I miss bread....buttery, marmite-y goodness!
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    Thanks for the update @SamandaIndia :smiley: I was a kid when I tried Marmite, so my taste may have changed since then... It's been burned into our brain that choosing marmite over vegemite is blasphemous lol :lol:

Pippa I guess it comes down what you're used to. Some folks hate vegemite and love marmite and vice versa. Americans think we're crazy for eating either one!

My boyfriend had a quick Google and found out that marmite is actually banned in loads of countries !! Wierdos lol
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2016
    Options

My boyfriend had a quick Google and found out that marmite is actually banned in loads of countries !! Wierdos lol

What the what what? Did he find out why?

That is definitely weird!
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, cannot do either marmite or vegemite, but my family loves loves vegemite.
    I cannot tolerate it looks like road tar & feels like it to me. HOWEVER did crave it when I was pregnant but on fresh white bread!!!!!!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Vegemite household here in Canada (DH an Aussie immigrant) Marmite available at stores in Canada. We have to find a British (what????) specialty store to buy Vegemite. We try to bring it in when we go 'home" for a visit but on one trip home, we couldn't bring it through the states because of an odd import restriction on Vitamin B additives in food. Vegemite is B vitamins galour but not additives. I think there was some confusion for the poor custom guy. Never have had such a problem since. Thought my DH would be kicking his heels on the floor that time, he was so incensed that his Vegemite got taken away. Cannot carry in hand luggage either. Counted as a liquid or gel or something.

Definitely both are an acquired taste. With an Aussie husband, I am working on Vegemite only. Never thought of it on cheese. A treat on low carb bread for breakfast here.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My husband loves crackers with vegemite, butter and cheese. Cheese and vegemite go well together.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    As the ads for Marmite go....you love it or hate it!!!!! I used to love it but hadnt had it for years until I thought it would be a good salty drink if I was feeling 'ketoflueeee' and it was horrible! Lol. Where that puts me I dont know. Havent tried vegemite yet! Can you still get Bovril anyone???