In need of a pep talk!

Options
Hi ladies,

I kind of need a little boost. I have been doing well in logging in my meals & staying under my calorie goal. However, I have always been an emotional eater & have been fighting emotional eating cravings for the past couple of days even more than usual due to stressors of being away from my baby ten hours a day while at work--I miss him terribly, some financial stress, not getting enough sleep, plus out of curiosity I got on the scale yesterday & it hasn't budged! (I've been back on track with mfp for about two weeks & exercise three days a week). I am so tempted to get a donut from Tim Horton's (& I have been thinking about it a lot). Desserts & sugars have always been a coping mechanism for me. I feel better & get an endorphin rush when I eat them but always feel horrible afterwards. I want to break this vicious cycle!

Replies

• wd773
    wd773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi Tuscaroragirl.

Step away from the donut!!! I hear you I fall into that same emotional eating pattern. I'm literally checking my emotions one moment at a time and really focusing on what it is that's bothering or stressing me and not choosing my food remedy.

My friend we really have to choose what we are going to do.

Being away from your baby I know is hard but I'm sure he's in good hands and he knows his mommy. Ten hour work days have gotta be hard. Let the sacrifices your making now COUNT!!!

The pep talk is, talk yourself out of it especially during your mission. At some point you will be able to indulge once you've got your emotional responses in check. I believe you could have a donut, just not now! The donut could trigger a domino on the sweet treats train and we don't want that. I've been carrying water and half a Lara bar for when I want something sweet.

I'm glad you've reached out because honestly my therapy is baking and lots of baking but sampling plenty with the baking and it's been on my mind everyday. I've had my kid hide the car keys so I wouldn't go buy ingredients (ridiculous). Hey but I feel like whatever it takes.

That's just it sis we've gotta do whatever it takes and make a choice.

So if you've already had the donut refocus and snap out of that emotional food response and don't quit! If you haven't had it keep trucking girl, choose, you've got this! There will be plenty of times for donuts later ( well maybe just a donut hole).

Hope this helps
    Ps ( scale satisfaction will come, don't let that thing control you)
  • tuscaroragirl
    tuscaroragirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wd773 wrote: »
    Hi Tuscaroragirl.

Step away from the donut!!! I hear you I fall into that same emotional eating pattern. I'm literally checking my emotions one moment at a time and really focusing on what it is that's bothering or stressing me and not choosing my food remedy.

My friend we really have to choose what we are going to do.

Being away from your baby I know is hard but I'm sure he's in good hands and he knows his mommy. Ten hour work days have gotta be hard. Let the sacrifices your making now COUNT!!!

The pep talk is, talk yourself out of it especially during your mission. At some point you will be able to indulge once you've got your emotional responses in check. I believe you could have a donut, just not now! The donut could trigger a domino on the sweet treats train and we don't want that. I've been carrying water and half a Lara bar for when I want something sweet.

I'm glad you've reached out because honestly my therapy is baking and lots of baking but sampling plenty with the baking and it's been on my mind everyday. I've had my kid hide the car keys so I wouldn't go buy ingredients (ridiculous). Hey but I feel like whatever it takes.

That's just it sis we've gotta do whatever it takes and make a choice.

So if you've already had the donut refocus and snap out of that emotional food response and don't quit! If you haven't had it keep trucking girl, choose, you've got this! There will be plenty of times for donuts later ( well maybe just a donut hole).

Hope this helps
    Ps ( scale satisfaction will come, don't let that thing control you)

Thanks, wwd773!

Your words made me sit back and think how I really needed to refocus and center myself & take each day minute by minute. I have the bad habit of getting ahead of myself. After lunch I was tempted to go to the store Below my office to get some cookies but I didn't. I instead went for a walk. I was really missing my baby today at work so I called my boyfriend on break, he stays with the baby while I'm at work because he's on furlough for the winter and he just made me feel so much better telling me how the baby was laughing and babbling and he sent me pic a of the baby smiling. I couldn't wait to go home & see them & that pic got me through the day. That really helped me to refocus & realize what's important. I parked In a parking lot far away from my building today and that brisk walk after work helped me to get my thoughts together.

And I did not have a donut! I instead had some carrot sticks and celery which was very satisfying. I ate when I was hungry and not just because I wanted to divert myself from my thoughts and problems. I know I need to refocus My energy into my family instead of using sweets to self medicate.

Thank you again, my friend For your words of wisdom. I will be back on here often While on this journey! Its so nice to have your support!

• Zenberry2015
    Zenberry2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Way to go! It sounds like you are really putting in the work to a healthier life.