Fitbit Calorie Adjustment wrong

Replies

• benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    I was playing around with the exercise page on the web (not in the app) tonight, and may have stumbled upon a work-around to use until MFP figures out what the real problem is. It seems to be working for me tonight... it could change again tomorrow.

As you may have read, if you want Fitbit to re-sync to MFP after you delete an erroneous fitbit burn, you can manually enter a Cardiovascular activity and then refresh the page and fitbit resyncs. So I was doing this to see what would happen both to the fitbit calorie adjustment and to the MFP calories burned number, which for me was different every day even though it should be the same. When I deleted the wrong fitbit adjustment and enter 1 minute slow walking with a 4 calorie burn and then refresh the page, initially the new fitbit sync seems right. But if I then delete the manually entered cardio, the fitbit number changes to something very wrong (for example, from +367 to -4 calories). However, and here is the strange part, if I leave the fake cardio in, the fitbit number seems stable on the right number and my MFP calories burned stays the same (as it should, but wasn't previously). I did this for each day through this past weekend and for now they all look right.

This was at the end of the day each time, so I don't know how or if it would work if you did it first thing in the morning and wanted updates all day long (as we longtime users are accustomed to). I'll post tomorrow if the numbers magically change back to wrong overnight.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Oceantech wrote: »
    Same Issue. It's been messed up for two days now. I'm just using the fitbit site until they get this fixed.

Me too
  • nyssadreams
    nyssadreams Posts: 1 Member
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    In the IOS app under the "more" menu, I went to "steps" and saw Fitbit was not selected, instead "don't track steps" was selected. So, I changed it to track steps with Fitbit, and the adjustments have been correct for about 1/2 hour now. MFP burn number has stayed the same at 1770 at every sync.

In my food diary I also now have a pretty Fitbit icon that displays my step count now.

Now after I post this, I'll check it again and discover it's not syncing correctly again, just watch...:)

Anyway, check and see if MFP is set to track your steps with fitbit or not.
    Yay this worked for me! Somehow the settings were not showing the FitBit as the step tracker. I have no idea how that got changed. So far, so good with my numbers and I like the added Step information under my calorie totals. That's new, right?

Thanks for the info. :-)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    In the scheme of things - when the MFP Calories Burned increases and makes the adjustment to the Fitbit Calories Burned smaller - it's a wash.

Say prior to issue MFP had you at 2000. And you had 500 deficit. 1500 NET eating goal of course.
    Fitbit reports 2500 to MFP.

Fitbit 2500 - 2000 MFP = 500 cal adjustment.
    Net 1500 + 500 = 2000 eating goal.
    500 deficit.

Now with issue, say MFP has increased to 2400 for some reason - same deficit. 1900 NET eating goal.
    Fitbit reports 2500.

Fitbit 2500 - 2400 MFP = 100 cal adj.
    1900 + 100 = 2000 eating goal.
    Same 500 deficit.

So long as the Fitbit reported calorie burn is based on recent sync and is correct (we know that is issue in itself), and your NET eating goal is based on whatever MFP says is Calories burned less your deficit.

The math will still work out correctly for your eating goal.

I'm just curious when you see the higher dynamic MFP Calories burned - has your NET eating goal been increased too and your deficit is still in place?

Of course, the issue with multiple adjustments kills that whole balance and makes it untrustworthy.
  • heybales
    edited February 2016
    I'm with y'all. It's really demotivating when FitBit says I have a 489 calorie burn workout, and when it hits MFP... 76. No way.

You have a misunderstanding about how this works.

That adjustment is NOT supposed to equal your workout on Fitbit calorie burn.

Please read the FAQ in stickies for understanding how it's supposed to work - you may not even have the bug unless you have confirmed several of the tell-tale signs.

But numbers that appear funny isn't one of the signs - you must understand how it works to decide that.

Because you could easily have a big workout and little activity and get no adjustment.
    You could have no workout and big activity and have a big adjustment.

Workout =/= adjustment in other words.
  • heybales
    GSV3MiaC wrote: »
    Oceantech wrote: »
    Still Broken. I just ended up using the Fitbit site which has is correct. It would be nice if they would fix this issue.

Yep, still broken, despite the 'help' posting which says they have rolled back their recent change (the one that broke it), it is actually still as broken as ever. Almost every time I refresh the MFP food page I get a different (by hundreds) and wrong, calorie adjustment from fitbit.

The fitbit page is right .. or as right as it ever is .. I dislike the way it 'expects' me to eat at a rate to match my calories burned .. the MFP display of what I have got left is much nicer, but only when it works, which it hasn't for a week now.

Most people remove that fuel gauge tile as it is pretty much useless.

They have a tile just like what MFP is doing - just the math to arrive at full day burn is slightly different, therefore amount to eat with same deficit is different.
    Until end of day would they would normally both match - without the current bugs.
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    In the scheme of things - when the MFP Calories Burned increases and makes the adjustment to the Fitbit Calories Burned smaller - it's a wash.

No, it isn't. Because my Net Calories do not increase when the MFP Calories Burned increases. When things are working correctly, as they had for the last 10 months that I've been using both sites, the MFP Calories burned number stays the same ALL DAY EVERY DAY unless my weight or goals change. The Fitbit adjustment then is added or subtracted from that to get my net calories available for the day. But when on my Home and Food Diary pages the Calories allowed and net calories aren't changing but on the Exercise adjustment page the MFP calories burned changes and THAT results in my fitbit adjustment becoming negative when I've really got more food available to eat... that is wrong, and that is what is happening. Like this:
    I was about to post here that mine was behaving today, and then it did this:

These were snapped literally five minutes apart.

egsok9hhbiz2.jpg
    svy8bh8rrd4b.jpg

So this person went from having an 1100 calorie positive adjustment to having less than 200 in five minutes. That is NOT a wash. This is what is happening. The MFP calories burned number is changing in ways that we can't predict and that it did NOT used to do, and it is messing with our net calories in unpredictable ways.

By the way, for anyone who was hoping my "work-around" from last night might work... this morning mine is back to being erratic again, so apparently it does NOT help. Sorry.
  • GSV3MiaC
    GSV3MiaC Posts: 22 Member
    Basically MFP is using a different 'mfp calories burned' number to work out the fibit calorie adjustment from the one it then uses (adds back on) to get the total calories you can eat. So fitbit calories = 3000, MFP calories = 2900 => "fitbit calorie adjustment of 100", but then it goes (on the food page) 'your daily goal 1900', and adds the 100 to that, getting a total allowed intake of 2000.

Why the MFP calories number changes between the food page and the exercise page is a mystery.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    In the IOS app under the "more" menu, I went to "steps" and saw Fitbit was not selected, instead "don't track steps" was selected. So, I changed it to track steps with Fitbit, and the adjustments have been correct for about 1/2 hour now. MFP burn number has stayed the same at 1770 at every sync.

In my food diary I also now have a pretty Fitbit icon that displays my step count now.

Now after I post this, I'll check it again and discover it's not syncing correctly again, just watch...:)

Yay this worked for me! Somehow the settings were not showing the FitBit as the step tracker. I have no idea how that got changed. So far, so good with my numbers and I like the added Step information under my calorie totals. That's new, right?

I did this too! I almost never use the app -- I tend to use the website -- so I never even though to check. But I saw this post and went to the app and made the change, and so far it seems to have fixed the problem for me.

If any of the mods or devs are reading this, this could provide a clue to help them troubleshoot or resolve the issue, perhaps?
  • KristinaP18
    KristinaP18 Posts: 4 Member
    I have been having this problem for the past year, has anyone figured out how to fix it? I am either getting duplicates or nothing.
  • secbro
    secbro Posts: 5 Member
    I've disconnected fitbit and MFP and I'm just putting in calories burned from Fitbit manually. Yesterday, fitbit recorded a 880 calorie workout. MFP only added 65 calories despite being set to sedentary. It's completely broken and until its fixed, I'm not linking the two.
  • flyinion
    flyinion Posts: 18 Member
    So I tried the "add 1 minute cardio" on the MFP exercise diary trick to get Fitbit adjustments to show because after midnight last night when I synced again, all of the calorie adjustment for Wednesday disappeared. Now I have a 1 minute cardio on there and it won't delete no matter how many times I try. Somehow it added one to today as well which won't delete. This is getting ridiculous.
  • GSV3MiaC
    GSV3MiaC Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2016
    Here's the screenshot to demonstrate the bug (taken seconds apart):

1u44az5tfi8z.png

Being in maintenance mode, my daily deficit should be zero, so burned = eaten
  • clevelandkat40
    clevelandkat40 Posts: 16 Member
    segacs wrote: »

I did this too! I almost never use the app -- I tend to use the website -- so I never even though to check. But I saw this post and went to the app and made the change, and so far it seems to have fixed the problem for me.

If any of the mods or devs are reading this, this could provide a clue to help them troubleshoot or resolve the issue, perhaps?

This worked for me as well. I hardly ever use the app either, but as soon as I changed the Steps setting, I came back and refreshed my home page, and the adjustment was what I expected it to be. Now, to see if it actually sticks, or if it gets messed up again. Somehow I don't have high hopes.
  • segacs
    This worked for me as well. I hardly ever use the app either, but as soon as I changed the Steps setting, I came back and refreshed my home page, and the adjustment was what I expected it to be. Now, to see if it actually sticks, or if it gets messed up again. Somehow I don't have high hopes.

I emailed the support team about this, letting them know that I changed this setting and it seems to be working for a few days now. They're going to investigate further using this piece of information as a possible clue as to what's causing the bug. Meanwhile, I'd suggest that others with the same problem try this as a potential workaround.

Again, I have no idea if it'll stick. But it's been a few days and so far, so good.
  • MandiSaysHey
    MandiSaysHey Posts: 304 Member
    I am having issues too. Yesterday I did about 8k steps and it only gave me 26 calorie adjustment. Today I've done about 5k steps so far and my adjustment is already showing 86 calories, even though I'm at less steps than yesterday.
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    heybales wrote: »

I'm just curious when you see the higher dynamic MFP Calories burned - has your NET eating goal been increased too and your deficit is still in place?.

No. It increases the MFP Calories burned (the fitbit calories burned stays the same), thereby decreasing the "Fitbit calorie adjustment" and thereby incorrectly displaying the number of calories left in the day.
  • segacs
    mclark552 wrote: »
    I am having issues too. Yesterday I did about 8k steps and it only gave me 26 calorie adjustment. Today I've done about 5k steps so far and my adjustment is already showing 86 calories, even though I'm at less steps than yesterday.

That may or may not be a bug. Steps don't equal calories on a one to one basis. It depends on the intensity of the exercise, too.

A better way to tell whether or not you're experiencing this bug is to go on MFP to your exercise diary, and click the little info button next to the Fitbit calorie adjustment. Look at the number it says for "MyFitnessPal Calories Burned". That number is MFP's estimate of your NEAT, and should stay relatively consistent each day, regardless of how much exercise you do. If it's changing constantly, or if you're getting multiple lines of calorie adjustments per day in your diary, then it's probably the bug. If not, it's probably working fine.
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2016
    This is interesting. in the last few minutes, the adjustments of the MFP Calories burned number are getting closer and closer to the fitbit calories burned number. Its like there is something in their software which is changing the MFP calories burned to account for the fitbit input. This is software programming gone haywire. Or some developer who has no idea who it is supposed to work.

gkxdypo3u8ph.jpg

So then this is the effect it has on my calories left for the day: (There should be like a 1000 calorie exercise adjustment):

fm0op75olbny.jpg
  • segacs
    Yeah. It seems pretty clear by now that the problem is in the second line, not in the first line. Which means the problem is on MFP's side, not on Fitbit's side.