Snack idea - very low carb

Options

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Mostly fiber. It's worth it. :)

Edit: I just checked my 99% bar, and it says 8g carb per 100g serving, so my guess is Amazon is showing info for the 90% bar or some other bar.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    And you would never get through 100g at once, so you wouldn't be even be getting that many fiber carbs.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    That Lindt bar is so satisfying , you would break off and slowly eat one square or two , the entire bar lasts me a week.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Don't know how these taste after a few hours out of the oven (we can barely wait for them to cool) but Parmesan Crisps are a satisfying snack. They also go well with salads.

Preheat oven to 350, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, lightly mist with cooking spray.

Drop 1/4 cup mounds of finely grated Parmesan cheese on paper, use the back of a spoon to flatten slightly. Sprinkle on some garlic and/or rosemary before if you want to go all fancy.

Bake 6-8 minutes or until light brown on the edges. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the parchment paper.

Oh, and puh-leeze use real Parmesan, not that stuff in the green cardboard shaker that I call Cheese Dust.
  • mandycat223
    Options
    Edit: "Sprinkle on some garlic and/or rosemary before ..." should have read "Sprinkle on some garlic and/or rosemary before baking ..."
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Great ideas above! I season and dry Canadian bacon to use instead of storebought jerky for snacks on the road. Roasting a chicken on the weekend will give me a carcass to pick at for snacks for several days at home. String cheese is easy pack along or to find in gas stations, along with boiled eggs.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    @cheesy567 if you like beef jerky too, you can always ask the butcher to slice your beef super thin for homemade jerky, we used to use London broil, and even at regular mainstream grocery store butchers they never blinked an eye at the request. That store bought jerky is definitely kind of gross.
  • mandycat223
    Options
    @cheesy567 if you like beef jerky too, you can always ask the butcher to slice your beef super thin for homemade jerky, we used to use London broil, and even at regular mainstream grocery store butchers they never blinked an eye at the request. That store bought jerky is definitely kind of gross.

Hey howdy to that idea. Our butcher regularly offers fajita meat (extremely thin slices of skirt steak) and for some reason I never thought of making my own jerky. Thanks!!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Celery with cream cheese
    olives
    pork rinds dipped in sour cream
    Coco Polo dark chocolate (a few squares) spread with a tbsp PB
    cheese
    warmed almond/coconut blend milk with a chai tea bag steeped into it
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Oh yes! @inspirationstation I'm adding coconut milk to my grocery list and making myself a chai tea coconut milk latte!
  • mnario313
    mnario313 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've done a 3 cup serving of popcorn, if I have the 10-15 carbs to spare. Other snacks include:

- Jerky (watch for added sugar)
    - Pepperoni sticks or slices
    - Cheese (any you prefer)
    - Baked cheese crackers
    - Yogurt (full fat, less than 8g of carbs)
    - any meat

Hi Which popcorn do you eat. I've looked and found all to be high carb. I miss popcorn/. Thank you
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

One serving is 4 squares. I only make it past 1 or 2 before I stop from the bitterness. Milk chocolate however.. I could polish off 1 or 2 bars easy.

Remember to subtract fiber. Yes it's 12g but I believe 4 or 5 are fiber right?
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Small amount of nuts
    Cheese
    Pork scratchings
    Leftover meats
    Fat bombs
    Very small amount of dark chocolate
    Whipped cream
  • pseudandry
    pseudandry Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    ...when I'm hungry, I usually find I was really just thirsty.

This right here. When in doubt, drink more water.

I was trying to find an article I found about confusing hunger with thirst, and I came upon this instead. A wee bit off topic, but possibly relevant to the need for a snack... Mindful Eating https://patienteducation.osumc.edu/Documents/MindfulEating.pdf
  • Mongo5918
    Mongo5918 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Whisps Parmesan Cheese Crisps are incredible. 1 serving (about 15 Crisps) is 100 cal, 7 g of fat, <1 g carbs, 9 g protein and supplies 35% of your daily Calcium. They can be eaten plain or with a nice glass of Chianti, use them as croutons in salads or soups. At Costco they are $9.89 for the 9.5 oz bag (about 15 servings). At Amazon so far they are only sold by other sellers and they are trying to rip people off in my opinion. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5EF0OK?keywords=whisp&qid=1455297117&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

www.cellowhisps.com for more ideas. So far I have not found anyone that does not love them, low carb or not.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Lover 85% cacao. Just a few squares of the chocolate really satisfies hunger between meals and helps with sweet cravings. As long as the chocolate has a high fat content and high cacao -80% or higher, it should not affect your weight loss. It hasn't with me so far. This chocolate and the Lindt that was posted earlier have a much lower sugar content then other chocolates. I am able to stay on the diet more faithfully since I can indulge with this treat.
  • natalialikescookies
    Options
    Mongo5918 wrote: »
    Whisps Parmesan Cheese Crisps are incredible. 1 serving (about 15 Crisps) is 100 cal, 7 g of fat, <1 g carbs, 9 g protein and supplies 35% of your daily Calcium. They can be eaten plain or with a nice glass of Chianti, use them as croutons in salads or soups. At Costco they are $9.89 for the 9.5 oz bag (about 15 servings). At Amazon so far they are only sold by other sellers and they are trying to rip people off in my opinion. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5EF0OK?keywords=whisp&qid=1455297117&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

www.cellowhisps.com for more ideas. So far I have not found anyone that does not love them, low carb or not.

I just discovered these and they are truly amazing!! Bought one bag at Costco and hubby (not a lc-er!) polished off most of it! I just bought 2 more bags, so good!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @natalialikescookies , these can also be made at home with different cheeses! Line a baking dish with parchment paper, layer cheese in the bottom (I've found that shredded cheese works best), bake at 350 until it begins to brown on top (15 minutes, or so), then remove from oven and cut it up while still warm (I use a pizza cutter). If they make it to the cool state :wink: they will crisp up like these crisps that are packaged. Some will use different flavors, like popcorn seasonings on top, to change up the flavor profile. Are dangerously good!
  • mandycat223
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Hi @natalialikescookies , these can also be made at home with different cheeses! Line a baking dish with parchment paper, layer cheese in the bottom (I've found that shredded cheese works best), bake at 350 until it begins to brown on top (15 minutes, or so), then remove from oven and cut it up while still warm (I use a pizza cutter). If they make it to the cool state :wink: they will crisp up like these crisps that are packaged. Some will use different flavors, like popcorn seasonings on top, to change up the flavor profile. Are dangerously good!

I make these with finely grated Parmesan cheese. With Parmesan, you spoon the cheese in small mounds, then smooth the mounds out so that they're more of a chip shape. Fantastic with salads. I make them on parchment paper but I've had better luck giving the parchment a light misting of vegetable spray. At 350 in my toaster oven they're done in 5-6 minutes.